TN: 2015 Moric - Blaufränkisch (Austria, Burgenland)

2015 Moric Blaufränkisch - Austria, Burgenland (3/27/2019)
– cork pulled 30 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

NOSE: spicy mineral; dark red berries; pleasant floral note.

BODY: ruby-violet color of medium-deep depth; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: lightly tannic; low to medium-low acidity; savory; ripe plum; 13% alc. not noticeable. Very interesting pairing with roasted red and yellow peppers soup — the wine got “juicier”. Overall, good, but not as good as I was expecting, given others’ reviews. Not likely to buy again at $30.

Thanks for the note. Of the handful of Morics I’ve tried, I’ve liked the whites more than the reds. Interesting wines. Tend to be food friendly. I’ve never thought they were more than good table wines. Others seem to like them more.

Yeah. “Good table wine” is apt for this one. Which white stood out as being most interesting to you?

Last one I remember was the 2016 SuperNatural. Pretty good with pizza a few months back. 75% Gruner / 25% Chard.
About the same price you quoted above.

I’ve had the entry level Moric Blaufrankisch before, I think the 2013 vintage? It’s good juice but nothing crazy complex. Very high acid which is a phase I went through during the time. I think you can find Blaufrankisch/Lemberger that gets the job done and at half the price in the FLX, especially if your main goal is a food friendly table wine.

Thanks, Dennis; I’ll see if I can find that one locally.

Hank, thanks for chiming in: I’ll give that one a shot if I see it. I was hoping this Moric would be a step up from the $20 Schusters I’ve tried, but, if anything, it’s a slight step down; for $10 more than the Schusters, that makes the Moric an easy pass.

Moric gets a lot of love but it’s never been more than an OK wine for me.

I like this wine a lot but indeed being their entry level Blaufränkisch it is not - nor should it be - an earth-shattering wine. At sub-20 € I buy it happily as a Beaujolais-substitute but $30 sounds like too much.