Is Suckling back at the WS? What's up with all the 94 plus scores for CCR lately?

Was 2015 just an amazing year in the Chianti Classico region?

It seems that every time I look up another CCR is rated 94+ by the Wine Spectator.

Monsanto, Carpineto, Felsina(always great though), Antinori, Etc, Etc…

Another vintage of the century? What, are we in Bordeaux?

A warm ripe year for sure, which drives scores. I think there are a lot of good wines in Tuscany, even if you prefer structure and acids over ripeness. I’ve been surprised by the few 15s I’ve tried , the 2015 Felsina CCR (not rancia) did not drink like a ‘hot’ vintage Chianti, and was ridiculously good.

Hi Rich,

I can’t necessarily speak to the scores and I haven’t been able to do a comprehensive tasting, but something that is likely at play is the move towards the Gran Selezione designation. Top producers are now concentrating on single vineyards and top parcels for these wines. That will basically mean higher scores for the top wines as they aren’t blended into the old riserva bottlings

Good point. Limited sample, but I’ve been impressed by the Gran Selezione stuff I’ve had.

That may be, but only if those designations are indeed a sign of quality rather than marketing. A number of producers I talked to said it’s not really working out as well as it was supposed to. I think it’s mostly the reviewer, plus a few warmer vintages lately. Both WS and Suckling say that 2016 is as good as 2015.

Here’s the WS vintage report for the last few years

2015 97 Drink or hold Long-lived, powerful and concentrated reds, yet the best have purity and elegance; great value
2014 88 Drink or hold Cool, wet summer hindered ripening, but a fine Sept saved the vintage. Best to date are slim, elegant reds
2013 93 Drink or hold Sleek, vibrant wines with bright, focused fruit flavors; at worst, lean and tart
2012 89 Drink or hold Firmly structured wines that are rich yet elegant
2011 93 Drink or hold Wines are ripe and rich, yet vibrant
2010 92 Drink or hold The best are fine, ripe wines, showing freshness, structure and balance, yet some lack ripe tannins

The most ludicrous 94 was given to the 2016 San Felice Chianti Classico. A nice wine but hardly epic. WS has gone crazy with the 94s but nothing like Decanter and their 97s. Sola Fred a 97 pointer.

2015 was an epic year in Southern France & Tuscany [and it probably wasn’t all that bad in the Piemonte either].

What I don’t understand is the love for the 2016s.

At least in Southern France, the 2016s all taste like Mega-Purple barrel samples - you can’t even swallow the damned things.

I don’t see a 2016 from Southern France being ready for drinking prior to the 2066 to 2116 timeframe.

What about Luca Maroni? I find that his scores are inversely related to quality.

Luca Maroni 98 = STAY AWAY, IT’S CRAP

Galloni gave 2015 Rancia 97 and 2016 97+

2015 was great in Tuscany compared to how dreadful 2014 was.

And I’ve preferred pretty much every '16 Southern Rhone I’ve had to the '15s, which I often found a bit high in alcohol and a bit diffuse in some cases. I love the acidity and concentration of the '16s. Similar story for me in the Northern Rhone and Beaujolais, and from the lesser wines in Piemonte, I think that will be my leaning there, as well.

Uh, we’re not talking about Southern France. The poster said CHIANTI. [wow.gif]

Yeah but it’s foreign right? In my local supermarket they have Pinot Noir, Cabernet, Merlot, and “Imported Wine”.

Isn’t it all pretty much the same? [scratch.gif]

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

I had the 2016 Rancia and it was so concentrated incredibly awesome
With these lovely Sangiovese tannins
A vin de garde but much more approachable than previous vintages

Speaking in very broad generalities, 2015 is exceptional in most regions (Rhone, Burgundy, Tuscany etc…), 2016 could be even better. Early indications are 2016 Piedmont is off the charts

David Cooper wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:08 pm
The most ludicrous 94 was given to the 2016 San Felice Chianti Classico. A nice wine but hardly epic. WS has gone crazy with the 94s but nothing like Decanter and their 97s. Sola Fred a 97 pointer.

What about Luca Maroni? I find that his scores are inversely related to quality.

Luca Maroni 98 = STAY AWAY, IT’S CRAP

Case in point. Drinkable on a pop and pour (-10 points) but terrible and tasted like a really cheap wine on day 2/3.
2015 Casalforno Opera Rosso Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (4/2/2019)
Day 1: I had to try this as Luca Maroni gave this 98 points. Well to no one’s surprise this is not even close to 98 points nor did I think it would but if it is a solid 90 win for the price. Nice overall with cherry, spice, floral and dust. A bit sweet on the palate. Certainly drinkable and not bad. 88 points
Day 2: This always exposes these cheap wines. This wine is terrible on day 2. Sweet fruit, dust and some spice. Weak on the palate and finish. Really a wine that should be consumed on the young side. Again 98 points by Luca Maroni is an insult to the great Bordeaux wines from the Left Bank. 80 points
Day 3: Flat and undrinkable.
Recommendation: Drink these on the young side. No upside on this wine and great scam in terms of a 98 point wine. Had to try it just because someone who claims to be a critic gave this 98 points. (88 points)