Meininger's: Quercetin In Your Sangio..

Interesting article, as linked by WineTerroirist, by MichaelaMorris, about the problem of quercetin precipitating
out in wine from 100% Sangiovese:
https://www.meininger.de/en/wine-business-international/sangiovese-throws-strange-quercetin-deposit.

Don’t think I’ve ever observed it (though I don’t drink much Sangio) and surprised it can be seen in a deeply-
colored wine like Sangio. Anybody noted these “worms” in your Sangio??
Interesting that Antinori found it in their Sangio from Antica/AtlasPeak and solved the issue by a co-ferment
with “international” varieties (probably the highest calling I can think of for Merlot!!).
Anyway…interesting article for only the geekist of wine geeks.
Tom

Interesting. Wish the author included a picture of what they look like, because it’s difficult to visualize. I’ve seen a lot of weird items in wine bottles and not sure if this was one of them or not.

Interesting.

In a 2004 Siro Pacenti Brunello di Montalcino, I observed a floating white/grey sludge. Small oval shaped globs. Extremely off-putting but I tasted anyway (my wife wouldn’t taste). The wine was devoid of any redeeming qualities and undrinkable. Checked Cellartracker and noted my experience was not unique. I wondered if one of the bottling lots was compromised with industrial sludge from the bottling process. Or maybe dirty bottles.

Being a fan of the winery, I reached out to the importer who quoted the winemaker saying it was “Quercitina” and the quality of the wine was unaffected. If truly quercetin, I would question the assertion the wine is unaffected. I returned the other two bottles I purchased.

I drink a lot of Sangio and this is the only time I have seen something like that.

-Mike