Questions for Bern's steakhouse

I will be going down to Tampa in a few weeks. We made reservations for Bern’s. Do they still have a lot of old vintages of Burgundy, Rhone, Germany, Piedmont and Champagne at bargain prices? I understand the strength of the list is largely Bordeaux. Is the list deep in Margaux and Pomerol? Also, do they half bottles of Spanish reds?

Thanks

Hi Dan,

Your best bet would be to email the Somm, Brad Dixon in advance with a budget and what you’re interested in. He’s been very helpful in picking out wines for us. His email is: bshsommelier@bernssteakhouse.com

Is this not the single best searchable topic on this board? So much great info👍

+1000

https://enoxcms.com/_websites/bernssteakhouse/uploads/016124700201544039223.pdf

It’s not 100% up to date and not everything is on it but it’s pretty close. Email the somm.

Gosh. I’ve only been to Berns once, and it was for a business dinner and I did not have the chance to really dig into the list, but I am kinda shocked at the list Michael linked. $600 for a bottle of 1995 GPL? $159 for a bottle of 2012 Prieuré-Lichine?

I suppose one does have to talk to the somm. The list is amazingly deep in certain areas, but the prices look, well, un-Berns based on what I have heard.

Sadly the list is getting pretty picked over and there are still some great ‘gems’ on the list, but I think the value on the list is looking off the beaten path.

Pricing and availability has changed significantly in the last year. Still some really cool stuff with a lot of age on the list that is drinking well. Just not the big names.

Have to agree with Neal. Pricing doesn’t look to be fantastic based on what I see on the list, quite different from what I’ve heard the choir say on this board.

Grossly overpriced at 5-6 times retail. Pass

I wonder if I can bring in my schrader Old Sparky Mag and trade it for dinner with multiple guests.
Price for the 2015 on the menu $1990. pileon

Is this because we broke the first rule???

Wow. Thanks for ruining my day…

Last(and only) time I was at Bern’s(about 4 years ago) it was full of amazing values.

Oh well, cross that off the list.

Do they still have “off list” stuff at good prices ?

There are still good values and stuff that is off the list at good prices, but not to the degree that there was.

You could say that …and people have said that…since I was first there…in 1980…but…here we are…almost 40 years later…saying the same thing. The “good old daze”. That never were… pileon

The mid level Bordeaux is crazy expensive, decent bottles for $750+ !!

Yeah, those are off-the-wall crazy prices on the Bordeaux. Weirdly Roumier Musigny is 1/4 retail though… Mispriced perhaps, as the rest of the Burgundy list is also insanely overpriced?

I would just get a bunch of $20-40 bottles of '70s/'80s stuff from obscure appellations and drink them blind.

Maybe they’re finally recouping some of the money ‘left on the table’ from being so badly under-priced for so long? A ‘hidden secret’ can only last so long - like a ‘hidden beach’ or a ‘hidden restaurant’ serving ‘Michelin 3 star’ food for ththe price of a chain restaurant . . .

After all the commentary about the list over the years, the pricing was a bit underwhelming, I will admit.