Fedex Home Delivery

Does anyone have experience with Fedex Home for wine deliveries? I read this is different from Fedex ground because they have more flexibility (they only deal with residential deliveries) and also deliver on the weekends.

I see a lot of hate on the boards for Fedex [swearing.gif] But I have my fingers crossed that this service will be better than Fedex ground. Even though the weather will be in the 70s this week I ordered wine to be delivered from CA to NC so I’ll let you know how it goes.

Fedex home delivery delivers tuesday-saturday. That’s pretty much the difference from ground which is Monday-Friday. It also costs more

Hmm interesting. I know the cheapest option I had was home delivery.

I actually had wine delivered via Fedex Home this past Saturday even though the tracker indicated Monday. No biggie since I was home…and I like it when wine does not sit in warehouses (or trucks) over the weekend.

Nice - out of curiosity how far away was the wine coming from and how many days did it take to deliver?

Left California Monday, April 1st with an estimated arrival on Friday, April 5th (destination Chicagoland - Western Suburbs). On Friday, the wine was “en route” and in Illinois, but at that point I was not expecting Friday delivery. Saturday morning the tracker indicated “loaded on vehicle for delivery on Monday, April 8th.” So doorbell rings at 6:00 PM on Saturday…and there is my wine!

Cheers,
JP

I’ve had good experiences with fedex home…but OMG what i cute weimy. I had to say goodbye to my baby (Maxine) in Feb ‘18. She was a few months shy of turning 18. I miss her something fierce. Your avatar made my day :slight_smile:

What’s been your problem with FedEx?? What increased flexibility does FedEx home offer vs “reg” FedEx?

John, I had a similar experience with FedEx Ground on a shipment from WineBid in Napa to Chicagoland. It was supposed to be here on Friday, but they did what FedEx Ground always does (screwed up), so the wine sat in a truck over the weekend. Fortunately, it wasn’t too hot or cold, so everything was ok.

I’ve made a couple of changes where shipping from WineBid is concerned. First, I found out that the price difference between Ground and 3-day is really minor, so I select the 3-day because it leaves an extra day before the weekend hits in case they screw up. Second, I set up an account with FedEx and always have the shipment routed to a nearby FedEx store because the shipments show up earlier in the day there and the store is open seven days, so I can pick it up at my leisure.

Both solid points, John. I have had wine re-routed to a FedEx facility in the past when I needed that flexibility. I have one more wine delivery this week and that should do it until fall!

Cheers,
JP

I’ll tell you my Fedex horror story. Had a shipment sent Fedex Ground (fortunately NOT wine). Left Hutchinson TX in the early hours of 3/29. By the eraly am 4/2 it was in Walnut CA (about 75 miles from me). Early am 4/5 the package is in Hutchinson TX AGAIN. About 4:30AM this morning it is back in Walnut CA. We’ll see if it actually gets to me or not. Had that been wine, it would be well cooked by now.

I’ve specified ground (vs air) and had packages arrive both FedEx Ground and FedEx Home. Other times I’ve specified FedEx Ground (“Pls. don’t ship FedEx Home”) and still had packages arrive via FedEx Home. Sometimes the FedEx tracking says Ground but it’s a Home truck that shows up.

Now I just ask for ground whatever and have the packages diverted to a FedEx Print & Ship location near work because their Home service has been unreliable in actually getting to my house on the specified day.

For me, in Virginia, FedEx (G or H) packages leaving California on Monday always arrive by that Friday.

Aww thanks. Weims are awesome :slight_smile:
Sorry about Maxine, I know it leaves a big hole in your heart.

Thanks John, that gives me a good sense of the timeline I might expect!

thank you that is very helpful!
This is the first time I have selected “fedex home” so we’ll see if it makes any difference at all. In the past fedex has been infamous for poor service in my area too.

Oh I was just referring to other gripes on this board about fedex. Just search fedex and you’ll find it! My personal experience in my area is that fedex delivers my packages to the wrong address, although those packages did not need a signature. I am hoping and crossing my fingers that they don’t deliver my wine to the wrong address and have someone actually sign and accept it LOL. That would be the worst.

Apparently with fedex home they deliver on Sat. vs. regular fedex does not.

I’ll add that FedEx’s website and tracking feature are often worse than useless.

And I just rerouted an en-route FedEx Home package to a FedEx Office store in less than 1 minute .

I did something similar tonight. A FedEx shipment scheduled to arrive Friday was delayed due to a label issue. New delivery is Monday. I’m hoping by rerouting from my office which doesn’t accept Saturday delivery to a FedEx store that has Saturday pickups will get the wine in my hands a couple days earlier. Temps are back in 50’s this weekend so if it does sit in the warehouse this weekend hopefully it won’t be too bad.

Just to explain, I don’t think it is mentioned above, Fedex Home is intended to be just that, a service designed to isolate packages which are delivered to residential neighborhoods, and which can often be delivered after normal business hours or on Saturday and/or left without signature. Fedex Ground is the cheaper business delivery alternative to Regular/Air Fedex, and it is cheaper (among other reasons) because the deliveries are more concentrated, on shorter routes, and the reception is more predictable. A shipper who primarily services residential customers will generally simply let Fedex database determine whether the receiving address is in a business or residential location, but whoever is paying the bill is allowed to specify (with certain restrictions, at many addresses only one service is available),