Fedex Home Delivery

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
T@ntina A

Fedex Home Delivery

#1 Post by T@ntina A » April 8th, 2019, 10:33 am

Does anyone have experience with Fedex Home for wine deliveries? I read this is different from Fedex ground because they have more flexibility (they only deal with residential deliveries) and also deliver on the weekends.

I see a lot of hate on the boards for Fedex [swearing.gif] But I have my fingers crossed that this service will be better than Fedex ground. Even though the weather will be in the 70s this week I ordered wine to be delivered from CA to NC so I'll let you know how it goes.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Re: Fedex Home Delivery

#2 Post by c fu » April 8th, 2019, 10:41 am

Fedex home delivery delivers tuesday-saturday. That's pretty much the difference from ground which is Monday-Friday. It also costs more
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

T@ntina A

#3 Post by T@ntina A » April 8th, 2019, 10:45 am

c fu wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 10:41 am
Fedex home delivery delivers tuesday-saturday. That's pretty much the difference from ground which is Monday-Friday. It also costs more
Hmm interesting. I know the cheapest option I had was home delivery.

John Preston
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by John Preston » April 8th, 2019, 1:05 pm

I actually had wine delivered via Fedex Home this past Saturday even though the tracker indicated Monday. No biggie since I was home...and I like it when wine does not sit in warehouses (or trucks) over the weekend.

T@ntina A

#5 Post by T@ntina A » April 8th, 2019, 1:07 pm

John Preston wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 1:05 pm
I actually had wine delivered via Fedex Home this past Saturday even though the tracker indicated Monday. No biggie since I was home...and I like it when wine does not sit in warehouses (or trucks) over the weekend.
Nice - out of curiosity how far away was the wine coming from and how many days did it take to deliver?

John Preston
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by John Preston » April 8th, 2019, 1:14 pm

T@ntina A wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 1:07 pm
John Preston wrote:
Nice - out of curiosity how far away was the wine coming from and how many days did it take to deliver?
Left California Monday, April 1st with an estimated arrival on Friday, April 5th (destination Chicagoland - Western Suburbs). On Friday, the wine was "en route" and in Illinois, but at that point I was not expecting Friday delivery. Saturday morning the tracker indicated "loaded on vehicle for delivery on Monday, April 8th." So doorbell rings at 6:00 PM on Saturday...and there is my wine!

Cheers,
JP

davidsturek

#7 Post by davidsturek » April 8th, 2019, 1:16 pm

I’ve had good experiences with fedex home...but OMG what i cute weimy. I had to say goodbye to my baby (Maxine) in Feb ‘18. She was a few months shy of turning 18. I miss her something fierce. Your avatar made my day :)

Bdklein

#8 Post by Bdklein » April 8th, 2019, 1:50 pm

T@ntina A wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 10:33 am
Does anyone have experience with Fedex Home for wine deliveries? I read this is different from Fedex ground because they have more flexibility (they only deal with residential deliveries) and also deliver on the weekends.

I see a lot of hate on the boards for Fedex [swearing.gif] But I have my fingers crossed that this service will be better than Fedex ground. Even though the weather will be in the 70s this week I ordered wine to be delivered from CA to NC so I'll let you know how it goes.
What’s been your problem with FedEx?? What increased flexibility does FedEx home offer vs “reg” FedEx?
Bruce Klein

John Danza

#9 Post by John Danza » April 8th, 2019, 1:54 pm

John Preston wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 1:14 pm
T@ntina A wrote:
John Preston wrote:
Left California Monday, April 1st with an estimated arrival on Friday, April 5th (destination Chicagoland - Western Suburbs). On Friday, the wine was "en route" and in Illinois, but at that point I was not expecting Friday delivery. Saturday morning the tracker indicated "loaded on vehicle for delivery on Monday, April 8th." So doorbell rings at 6:00 PM on Saturday...and there is my wine!

Cheers,
JP
John, I had a similar experience with FedEx Ground on a shipment from WineBid in Napa to Chicagoland. It was supposed to be here on Friday, but they did what FedEx Ground always does (screwed up), so the wine sat in a truck over the weekend. Fortunately, it wasn't too hot or cold, so everything was ok.

I've made a couple of changes where shipping from WineBid is concerned. First, I found out that the price difference between Ground and 3-day is really minor, so I select the 3-day because it leaves an extra day before the weekend hits in case they screw up. Second, I set up an account with FedEx and always have the shipment routed to a nearby FedEx store because the shipments show up earlier in the day there and the store is open seven days, so I can pick it up at my leisure.
John Danza

John Preston
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by John Preston » April 8th, 2019, 2:01 pm

John Danza wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 1:54 pm
John Preston wrote:
T@ntina A wrote:

Cheers,
JP
John, I had a similar experience with FedEx Ground on a shipment from WineBid in Napa to Chicagoland. It was supposed to be here on Friday, but they did what FedEx Ground always does (screwed up), so the wine sat in a truck over the weekend. Fortunately, it wasn't too hot or cold, so everything was ok.

I've made a couple of changes where shipping from WineBid is concerned. First, I found out that the price difference between Ground and 3-day is really minor, so I select the 3-day because it leaves an extra day before the weekend hits in case they screw up. Second, I set up an account with FedEx and always have the shipment routed to a nearby FedEx store because the shipments show up earlier in the day there and the store is open seven days, so I can pick it up at my leisure.
Both solid points, John. I have had wine re-routed to a FedEx facility in the past when I needed that flexibility. I have one more wine delivery this week and that should do it until fall!

Cheers,
JP

BobMilton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by BobMilton » April 8th, 2019, 2:53 pm

I'll tell you my Fedex horror story. Had a shipment sent Fedex Ground (fortunately NOT wine). Left Hutchinson TX in the early hours of 3/29. By the eraly am 4/2 it was in Walnut CA (about 75 miles from me). Early am 4/5 the package is in Hutchinson TX AGAIN. About 4:30AM this morning it is back in Walnut CA. We'll see if it actually gets to me or not. Had that been wine, it would be well cooked by now.

Frank Drew
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Frank Drew » April 8th, 2019, 3:40 pm

I’ve specified ground (vs air) and had packages arrive both FedEx Ground and FedEx Home. Other times I’ve specified FedEx Ground (“Pls. don’t ship FedEx Home”) and still had packages arrive via FedEx Home. Sometimes the FedEx tracking says Ground but it’s a Home truck that shows up.

Now I just ask for ground whatever and have the packages diverted to a FedEx Print & Ship location near work because their Home service has been unreliable in actually getting to my house on the specified day.

For me, in Virginia, FedEx (G or H) packages leaving California on Monday always arrive by that Friday.

T@ntina A

#13 Post by T@ntina A » April 9th, 2019, 6:00 am

davidsturek wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 1:16 pm
I’ve had good experiences with fedex home...but OMG what i cute weimy. I had to say goodbye to my baby (Maxine) in Feb ‘18. She was a few months shy of turning 18. I miss her something fierce. Your avatar made my day :)
Aww thanks. Weims are awesome :)
Sorry about Maxine, I know it leaves a big hole in your heart.

T@ntina A

#14 Post by T@ntina A » April 9th, 2019, 6:01 am

John Preston wrote:
T@ntina A wrote:
John Preston wrote:

Cheers,
JP
Thanks John, that gives me a good sense of the timeline I might expect!

T@ntina A

#15 Post by T@ntina A » April 9th, 2019, 6:03 am

Frank Drew wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 3:40 pm
I’ve specified ground (vs air) and had packages arrive both FedEx Ground and FedEx Home. Other times I’ve specified FedEx Ground (“Pls. don’t ship FedEx Home”) and still had packages arrive via FedEx Home. Sometimes the FedEx tracking says Ground but it’s a Home truck that shows up.

Now I just ask for ground whatever and have the packages diverted to a FedEx Print & Ship location near work because their Home service has been unreliable in actually getting to my house on the specified day.

For me, in Virginia, FedEx (G or H) packages leaving California on Monday always arrive by that Friday.
thank you that is very helpful!
This is the first time I have selected "fedex home" so we'll see if it makes any difference at all. In the past fedex has been infamous for poor service in my area too.

T@ntina A

#16 Post by T@ntina A » April 9th, 2019, 6:05 am

Bdklein wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 1:50 pm
T@ntina A wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 10:33 am

What’s been your problem with FedEx?? What increased flexibility does FedEx home offer vs “reg” FedEx?
Oh I was just referring to other gripes on this board about fedex. Just search fedex and you'll find it! My personal experience in my area is that fedex delivers my packages to the wrong address, although those packages did not need a signature. I am hoping and crossing my fingers that they don't deliver my wine to the wrong address and have someone actually sign and accept it LOL. That would be the worst.

Apparently with fedex home they deliver on Sat. vs. regular fedex does not.

Frank Drew
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Frank Drew » April 10th, 2019, 6:47 pm

I’ll add that FedEx’s website and tracking feature are often worse than useless.

Bdklein

#18 Post by Bdklein » April 10th, 2019, 7:45 pm

Frank Drew wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 6:47 pm
I’ll add that FedEx’s website and tracking feature are often worse than useless.
And I just rerouted an en-route FedEx Home package to a FedEx Office store in less than 1 minute .
Bruce Klein

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by JDavisRoby » April 10th, 2019, 8:14 pm

I did something similar tonight. A FedEx shipment scheduled to arrive Friday was delayed due to a label issue. New delivery is Monday. I’m hoping by rerouting from my office which doesn’t accept Saturday delivery to a FedEx store that has Saturday pickups will get the wine in my hands a couple days earlier. Temps are back in 50’s this weekend so if it does sit in the warehouse this weekend hopefully it won’t be too bad.
Joshu@

SteveG

#20 Post by SteveG » April 11th, 2019, 4:17 am

Just to explain, I don’t think it is mentioned above, Fedex Home is intended to be just that, a service designed to isolate packages which are delivered to residential neighborhoods, and which can often be delivered after normal business hours or on Saturday and/or left without signature. Fedex Ground is the cheaper business delivery alternative to Regular/Air Fedex, and it is cheaper (among other reasons) because the deliveries are more concentrated, on shorter routes, and the reception is more predictable. A shipper who primarily services residential customers will generally simply let Fedex database determine whether the receiving address is in a business or residential location, but whoever is paying the bill is allowed to specify (with certain restrictions, at many addresses only one service is available),
steve gurevitz

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Steve Gautier » April 11th, 2019, 4:37 am

SteveG wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 4:17 am
Just to explain, I don’t think it is mentioned above, Fedex Home is intended to be just that, a service designed to isolate packages which are delivered to residential neighborhoods, and which can often be delivered after normal business hours or on Saturday and/or left without signature. Fedex Ground is the cheaper business delivery alternative to Regular/Air Fedex, and it is cheaper (among other reasons) because the deliveries are more concentrated, on shorter routes, and the reception is more predictable. A shipper who primarily services residential customers will generally simply let Fedex database determine whether the receiving address is in a business or residential location, but whoever is paying the bill is allowed to specify (with certain restrictions, at many addresses only one service is available),
Thanks for that explanation. That now helps explain a few situations depending on what address is used. My problem with home delivery is it seems like that I can only re-route to somewhere near my house. A hub is 20 minutes away and ground goes through there. I re-route ground to a FedEx location 2 minutes from the hub. It is one of the first stops so it doesn’t spend long on the truck and I can pick it up early in the morning. Home goes through one of two other hubs which are both 30-45 minutes away. Truck gets to my area very late in the day.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Frank Drew
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Frank Drew » April 11th, 2019, 5:28 am

Bdklein wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 7:45 pm
Frank Drew wrote:
And I just rerouted an en-route FedEx Home package to a FedEx Office store in less than 1 minute .
And I’ve had the same, unchanging FedEx notice all week that a package is due for delivery by the end of day on 4/11, which is today, but I can’t manage the delivery because the package apparently hasn’t been scanned — “a label has been created” — so is the package arriving today, and, if so, will the driver actually attempt delivery, or is it still up in Rockland Co., NY? FedEx’s website is silent on the matter, no updates or changes to their posting that it will arrive today. Not helpful.

Sometimes their Manage Delivery feature works, sometimes not.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by John Glas » April 11th, 2019, 5:47 am

Zero complaints for FedEx. 20 years zero problems. Like any large corporation it will be the individuals in certain areas that mess it up not FedEx. I just ship to FedEx office and pick up on my way home from work as with home delivery you need to be there to sign for wine.

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by mattcitrang » April 11th, 2019, 5:59 am

Since I started redirecting to one of my local Walgreens many of these issues have disappeared.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by John Glas » April 11th, 2019, 6:12 am

Since I started redirecting to one of my local Walgreens many of these issues have disappeared.
Maybe someone has answered this but I wonder if the home delivery is a separate entity from their FedEx Office/Walgreens drivers. I am pretty sure the Home Delivery Drivers are independent contractors. Maybe the drivers who do the larger volume pickups at FedEx Office/ Walgreens are employed directly by FedEx and stay on the job longer. Would make sense if people are having issues with their home delivery drivers.

Al Osterheld

#26 Post by Al Osterheld » April 11th, 2019, 6:37 am

FedEx Ground and Home are separate operations, warehouses, and drivers from original FedEx.

-Al

Frank Drew
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Frank Drew » April 11th, 2019, 7:11 am

Does Walgreens accept wine shipments? I ask because the FedEx website list of Virginia locations that accept wine shipments seems to exclude Walgreens and most of the other locations that receive non-wine shipments.

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Scott Jameson » April 11th, 2019, 7:20 am

Al Osterheld wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 6:37 am
FedEx Ground and Home are separate operations, warehouses, and drivers from original FedEx.

-Al
Regardless, I've been able to have both FedEx Ground and FedEx Home wine shipments delivered to my local Walgreen's.

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Paul McCourt » April 11th, 2019, 8:40 am

John Glas wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 5:47 am
Zero complaints for FedEx. 20 years zero problems. Like any large corporation it will be the individuals in certain areas that mess it up not FedEx. I just ship to FedEx office and pick up on my way home from work as with home delivery you need to be there to sign for wine.
Everyone's mileage will vary, I'm sure.

I've never had issues with FedEx for envelopes/paperwork. I've had consistent problems with them for packages (in fact just last week a washer part was "left at the front door" - which for me would be out on the sidewalk (Manhattan) Complete BS). I don't think they even try to deliver half the time. Innumerable "Not home" but never a door tag. UPS is great, however, but other people have the reverse experiences.
PauLeeeenda 2020

Al Osterheld

#30 Post by Al Osterheld » April 11th, 2019, 9:20 am

Scott Jameson wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 7:20 am
Al Osterheld wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 6:37 am

-Al
Regardless, I've been able to have both FedEx Ground and FedEx Home wine shipments delivered to my local Walgreen's.
Sure. I was answering question whether they have same drivers as regular FedEx.

-Al

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by John Glas » April 11th, 2019, 9:38 am

I've never had issues with FedEx for envelopes/paperwork. I've had consistent problems with them for packages (in fact just last week a washer part was "left at the front door" - which for me would be out on the sidewalk (Manhattan) Complete BS). I don't think they even try to deliver half the time. Innumerable "Not home" but never a door tag. UPS is great, however, but other people have the reverse experiences.
I agree with the door tags. I will read online tried to deliver but no door tags. I am just glad I have a FedEx Office right down the road.

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Paul McCourt » April 12th, 2019, 6:00 am

Huh. Now it appears that they only try and deliver once. Got a door tag saying I wasn't home and they left it at a Fed-Ex store. I don't particularly mind that I have to get it from there but when did this become their policy to try and deliver to your home only once?
PauLeeeenda 2020

AndrewH

#33 Post by AndrewH » April 12th, 2019, 6:25 am

Frank Drew wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 5:28 am
Bdklein wrote:
Frank Drew wrote:
And I’ve had the same, unchanging FedEx notice all week that a package is due for delivery by the end of day on 4/11, which is today, but I can’t manage the delivery because the package apparently hasn’t been scanned — “a label has been created” — so is the package arriving today, and, if so, will the driver actually attempt delivery, or is it still up in Rockland Co., NY? FedEx’s website is silent on the matter, no updates or changes to their posting that it will arrive today. Not helpful.

You're not able to redirect until after the shipment has been commenced. When it's just in the "label created" stage you can't, because I believe that's simply the shipper has entered the information into the computer and generated a label, but has not actually tendered the package for shipment.

I've had such shipments sit in that status for several days, I assume because wineries generate a bunch of shipments/labels and then go put them on boxes and bring the boxes to Fedex later in the week. (Although recently I had one sit that way for a couple of weeks - turned out FedEx lost the package before even scanning it in).
Andrew H e i m e r t

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by mattcitrang » April 12th, 2019, 7:44 am

AndrewH wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 6:25 am
Frank Drew wrote:
Bdklein wrote:

You're not able to redirect until after the shipment has been commenced. When it's just in the "label created" stage you can't, because I believe that's simply the shipper has entered the information into the computer and generated a label, but has not actually tendered the package for shipment.

I've had such shipments sit in that status for several days, I assume because wineries generate a bunch of shipments/labels and then go put them on boxes and bring the boxes to Fedex later in the week. (Although recently I had one sit that way for a couple of weeks - turned out FedEx lost the package before even scanning it in).
I've had several LBW and Wine Spies sit for over 2 weeks until they were actually tendered to FEDEX.

GregT

#35 Post by GregT » April 12th, 2019, 7:54 am

FedEx and UPS are comparable in that the service you get is going to be dependent on the state and the specific location within the state and also the delivery guy. They're supposed to have rules, but some places you can call and the guy will turn around and get back to you if you weren't home. In other places they won't. And you can always have something HAL - held at location, and that you have to set up ahead of time. Go to the FedEx places near you and ask if they'll accept shipments for your pick up. Not all will and again, depending on the space, some will not hold larger packages.

Here's my local UPS story:

Package could not be delivered. But no door tag, no buzzer, no phone.

Next day, package could not be delivered. My wife was waiting home all day.

Oh, you can pick it up at the depot.

OK when?

We close at seven.

So we get there at 6:30.

The driver isn't back.

When will he be back?

Eight o'clock.

Can we get it then?

No, we close at seven.

What about tomorrow?

No, we're closed on weekends.

Why didn't he try to deliver?

He said he did and you weren't home.

But we were waiting for him.

Sorry sir. I know it's frustrating. You can come in Monday or he'll try to deliver again on Monday.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

AndrewH

#36 Post by AndrewH » April 12th, 2019, 8:09 am

^ That's about what I get from UPS as well (with depot 45 minutes away), unless we get lucky and we're home. FedEx is a dream by comparison with hold at location within 5 minutes.
Andrew H e i m e r t

BenjaminL

#37 Post by BenjaminL » April 12th, 2019, 8:21 am

I like the option to have FedEx deliver to Walgreens and hold it there in the air-conditioned store:

https://www.winebusiness.com/news/?go=g ... aid=193211
B Leachman

Frank Drew
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Frank Drew » April 15th, 2019, 7:43 am

AndrewH wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 6:25 am
Frank Drew wrote:
Bdklein wrote:

The package actually was on the move but the tracking didn’t reflect that. The initial shipper, Vin-Go, also tried to find it and as far as they could tell from FedEx was that it was still in California (it was in NY).

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by cjsavino » April 15th, 2019, 9:32 am

BenjaminL wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 8:21 am
I like the option to have FedEx deliver to Walgreens and hold it there in the air-conditioned store:

That does work, but recently in two different shipments, the wine was dropped off, but still showed it in transit. I went to the Walgreens and they had one for a couple days. If your tracking has not changed after a day, call the store where redirected.
Chris

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by mattcitrang » April 15th, 2019, 10:56 am

cjsavino wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 9:32 am
BenjaminL wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 8:21 am

That does work, but recently in two different shipments, the wine was dropped off, but still showed it in transit. I went to the Walgreens and they had one for a couple days. If your tracking has not changed after a day, call the store where redirected.
the whole system is dependent on scanning the label which doesn't always happen. Especially if FEDEX id dropping off several packages at Walgreens and the driver is in a hurry.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by John Glas » April 15th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Here is the best option. Just do FedEx Office. I have everything delivered there. I go and sign for it and no issues. I just had to deal with UPS today which I hate and I had to drive 30 minutes to go get a wine package. Does UPS not offer the convivence of FedEx Office which is a whole 2 blocks from my house?

Frank Drew
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Frank Drew » April 15th, 2019, 2:49 pm

Of course, your mileage (to the FedEx office) may vary.

Len Lescosky

#43 Post by Len Lescosky » April 17th, 2019, 3:51 pm

My Fedex story is that I had two cases of wine delivered to my house yesterday, no one is home because I am at work, my wife is out of town. So wine was not delivered, I had a door tag telling me that delivery was attempted. Great I thought, I will redirect to the FedEx store five minutes away. I go to the Fedex website, I cannot send to the Fedex store because this shipper has put a restriction on my shipment.

I called the shipping company, I explain, hey the door tag says I can have my package held at a FedEx Location of my choice. Shipper tells me no I can't, I can give her my credit card number and for $20 per box I can have delivered to another address. So I go on line, find the FedEx store address and give that address. FedEx came back to my house today to try to deliver, of course I am not here, but I see on the Fedex website that my wine will be ready for pickup tomorrow.

What the heck? I have redirected numerous other wine shipments to either a UPS or FedEx Location with no trouble or added cost. For future wine shipments I will confirm with the winery before I purchase that it is not using Buffalo's Shipping Post and that they are sending with no redirection restrictions.

Len

Return to “Wine Talk”