Wine Glasses for Rental Cabin

We’re in the process of furnishing a rental cabin and need to acquire wine glasses for guests. I want something that will hold up, reasonably priced, but isn’t built like a beer schooner. Appreciate any suggestions you may have. Dishwasher safe a must. Thanks in advance!

Do not spend big dollars. Check places like Cost Plus, etc. and look for fairly heavy duty wine glasses. Nothing over $6.00 a glass and since it’s a rental, just get “Red” wine glasses only, not a spread of sizes. Amazon and what’s on sale. Dishwasher safe if nothing more than an extra dollar per glass. People who rent cabins don’t give a shit about your glasses.

I said this in another thread. Martha stewarts red stems at macy’s. When on sale its $10 for 12.

Think more about cost of replacement than cost of the glass itself. Price that in and you can’t go wrong.

Riedel Restaurant series wins on all counts. Cheap, very functional, replaceable.

Not a fan of them, even though we have a dozen Reidel cab versions via gift years ago - Stemless.

Perfect solution for rental prop. Easy clean, less chance of breakage, can be used for other drinks, but won’t be a huge disappointment for someone wanting to drink a bottle of wine vs. some small bowl/ fat lipped institutional stem.

99.9% of your renters will not care, so buy cheap.

Keep a box or two of good glasses in the owner’s storage closet for your use when you go there.

I bring my own glasses (and a case plus of wine) if travelling by car.

There’s a villa outside Montepulciano with one (1) decent wine glass that I talked Poggio di Sotto out of after a tasting. The glasses at the villa were horrible. I tried to buy a glass at the tasting, fistful of euros in hand. They refused, just didn’t have a mechanism to sell them, but eventually decided they could give one away.

Unfortunately for my wife, they only offered one. [whistle.gif]

Home Goods always has inexpensive but decent glasses. Costco too.

If you’re not set on needing to have glass, the GoVino are nice and unbreakable. However, they can get scratched with abrasive cleaners/sponges, and will deform in the dishwasher.

This. A good choice would be the Riedel Restaurant Syrah glass https://www.riedel.com/en-us/shop/riedel-restaurant/syrah-044601230
Buy at least twice as many as you are going to supply the cabin with as breakage is inevitable.

Sourcing the restaurant ones is a challenge though . . .

Another vote for cheap. I can’t even remember what we got at Bed Bath and Beyond - maybe Libbey - but we bought 3 dozen for entertaining. They were at most $1.50/stem and are pretty good. If one breaks, no great loss and we pull another one out. You can put out 10-12 at a time and replenish with the same for breakage.

I have these in whites and reds for our rentals - they hold up really well and are not bad at all.

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/set-of-8-viv-big-red-wine-glasses/s142625

My folks give these to people at college graduation (me included). They are sturdy, but really nice for the price, all things considered. I dish washed mine for years before graduating to Riedel Vinum BDX while in law school one Christmas. I kept a dozen of these around for wine tastings at my house/apt for a while. I’d be happy to come across these in a rental property, and they’re cheap enough that busting one doesn’t matter at all.

The glasses are $3.50 a piece. Probably the best stemware deal out there.

As an aside, I’ve had sets of Riedel Bdx and Riedel Syrah in the Vinum line, and absolutely hate the syrah glass. Noticeably muted nose in the syrah relative to the bdx on all varieties of red I’ve ever had in it.

I can get them any day of the week. Find wine shops with tasting programs who use them. They’re happy to sell you some. I buy by the case.

I have friends that use these for parties. A little more expensive, but near indestructible, the lip isn’t too thick, the right shape, and if they break its just plastic instead of glass.
https://m.wineenthusiast.com/indoor-outdoor-wine-glass-party-pack-(set-of-12).asp

and rob your tenants of the sheer exhilaration of throwing them at the fireplace mantle at the end of a wonderful evening of tasting? champagne.gif
They will mark you down on Airbnb or Vrbo.

Just think about your likely clientele. Random? “Foodies”? Wine geeks?

Just think about your likely clientele. Random? “Foodies”? Wine geeks?

Then you pick among the various good suggestions here. For me the big issue with cheaper glasses is thick rims.