2017 Baudry

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Chris V.
Posts: 504
Joined: July 31st, 2012, 6:40 am
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

2017 Baudry

#1 Post by Chris V. » April 7th, 2019, 1:05 pm

My agent just contacted me with their 2017 Baudry offer. Prices seems to be up, but only a few $ per bottle. For the Grezeaux I paid $40CAD/$30USD for the 2016's last year. Looks like the 2017 will be $44CAD/$33USD. I think the value is still there, even though prices are steadily increasing.

I briefly read a comment by someone who had said Chinon had a good run of vintages from 2014 - 2017, and I can see Wine Spectator liked 2017 just as much as 2015 and 2010. Other than that I have no information. Does anyone have a read on the vintage? And specifically how Baudry did?
V a n d e r m a r e l

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2641
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: 2017 Baudry

#2 Post by Scott Tallman » April 7th, 2019, 9:10 pm

FWIW, at a tasting two weeks ago, I asked Mathieu his thoughts in recent vintages 14-17. He responded that all were really good vi takes, but 14 was a cut above the others.

Between Baudry, O Raffault, and C&P Breton, I don’t hesitate to buy YIYO.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 548
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Re: 2017 Baudry

#3 Post by Sean_S » April 7th, 2019, 10:10 pm

So I've been buying a variety of the reds the last few years and enjoyed them and cellaring most of them. How bout the blanc and rose? Are they worth attention?

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Karl K
Posts: 1127
Joined: October 29th, 2016, 10:01 pm

Re: 2017 Baudry

#4 Post by Karl K » April 8th, 2019, 4:39 am

I say yes to both Blancs.

Recently had the last bottle of the regular 15 Blanc and it was v, v good.

I would like to try some Cr Boisse Blanc with some bottle age.

The rose is a good rose.
K a z a k s

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3588
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: 2017 Baudry

#5 Post by Ramon C » April 8th, 2019, 5:10 am

The regular Chinon white, usually good early drinker, is the better value at < $20. At much higher ticket prices, a few uneven experiences with oxidated short-term aged Croix Boissee had been quite frustrating.
@brera

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2641
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: 2017 Baudry

#6 Post by Scott Tallman » April 8th, 2019, 8:32 am

Sean_S wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 10:10 pm
So I've been buying a variety of the reds the last few years and enjoyed them and cellaring most of them. How bout the blanc and rose? Are they worth attention?

Sean
Never tried the white, but the rose is one of my favorites and an annual purchase.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13837
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: 2017 Baudry

#7 Post by Jay Miller » April 8th, 2019, 8:54 am

I've been sitting on a single bottle of '05 Blanc since release. Maybe it's time to see what it's turned into.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Chris V.
Posts: 504
Joined: July 31st, 2012, 6:40 am
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Re: 2017 Baudry

#8 Post by Chris V. » July 19th, 2019, 4:36 am

Took delivery of my case of Les Grézeaux this week and of course immediately popped a bottle to check in. It's very nice. I have it right in line with the '16 in terms of quality, though perhaps even more immediately drinkable. I think the '15 is the best of '15-'17 and I think it has the best long-term potential, but I'll be aging all of them to find out. I own some '14, but have never had it so I can't compare.
  • 2017 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (7/18/2019)
    Lovely, classic Chinon. This pours a youthful deep violet. The nose is already complex of cranberry, red apple, hibiscus, dry hay, barnyard, burlap, peanut shells, charcoal, celery seed, and gravel. The palate has higher than usual acid for this cuvee, with a slightly apple/cider note. Tannin is slightly lower than usual. Quite a lot of cranberry, hibiscus, and cider on the finish. Strikes me as earlier drinking than the '15 and '16, but fresh, lively, and complex today. I'll still age my bottles a few years to see what happens. (91 pts.)
V a n d e r m a r e l

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21011
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: 2017 Baudry

#9 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 19th, 2019, 4:53 am

Chris V. wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 4:36 am
Took delivery of my case of Les Grézeaux this week and of course immediately popped a bottle to check in. It's very nice. I have it right in line with the '16 in terms of quality, though perhaps even more immediately drinkable. I think the '15 is the best of '15-'17 and I think it has the best long-term potential, but I'll be aging all of them to find out. I own some '14, but have never had it so I can't compare.
  • 2017 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (7/18/2019)
    Lovely, classic Chinon. This pours a youthful deep violet. The nose is already complex of cranberry, red apple, hibiscus, dry hay, barnyard, burlap, peanut shells, charcoal, celery seed, and gravel. The palate has higher than usual acid for this cuvee, with a slightly apple/cider note. Tannin is slightly lower than usual. Quite a lot of cranberry, hibiscus, and cider on the finish. Strikes me as earlier drinking than the '15 and '16, but fresh, lively, and complex today. I'll still age my bottles a few years to see what happens. (91 pts.)
Like Scott, I buy the Baudry cuvees, YIYO. I have not yet tried the 2017, but did drink the 2015 Croix Boissee last night, brief notes posted.

Baudry has had an excellent run for many years, not just 14-17. While some may prefer the riper style of 2015, 2014 is a perfect archetype for Loire Cab Franc. A most classic vintage. I stocked up deeply among many key producers, similar to what I did in Bordeaux. That said, Baudry’s 2015 Guillott is spectacular. I went back for more on that one. My favorite recent vintages of Baudry are 2014, 2010 and 2005. These vintages will take time to evolve. I find Grezeaux in classic years to take more time than the other cuvees. YMMV.

Thanks for the note, looks like it’s time to put in my order for the 17s.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

J. D'Antonio
Posts: 295
Joined: July 21st, 2010, 8:02 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: 2017 Baudry

#10 Post by J. D'Antonio » July 19th, 2019, 5:43 am

Chris V. wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 4:36 am
Took delivery of my case of Les Grézeaux this week and of course immediately popped a bottle to check in. It's very nice. I have it right in line with the '16 in terms of quality, though perhaps even more immediately drinkable. I think the '15 is the best of '15-'17 and I think it has the best long-term potential, but I'll be aging all of them to find out. I own some '14, but have never had it so I can't compare.
  • 2017 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (7/18/2019)
    Lovely, classic Chinon. This pours a youthful deep violet. The nose is already complex of cranberry, red apple, hibiscus, dry hay, barnyard, burlap, peanut shells, charcoal, celery seed, and gravel. The palate has higher than usual acid for this cuvee, with a slightly apple/cider note. Tannin is slightly lower than usual. Quite a lot of cranberry, hibiscus, and cider on the finish. Strikes me as earlier drinking than the '15 and '16, but fresh, lively, and complex today. I'll still age my bottles a few years to see what happens. (91 pts.)
Wait until you taste the '18s ... I drank several bottles of the '18 Domaine while in Chinon a few weeks ago and it was fantastic. Can't wait for the Croix Boissee.

I agree with your comment that the '17s should drink earlier than the '15s and '16s.

They opened an '06 Les Grezeaux for me during my visit as well and it was very enjoyable and surprisingly fresh. Definitely something to drink in the near term!
futronic
J a y D ' A n t o n i o

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3588
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: 2017 Baudry

#11 Post by Ramon C » July 19th, 2019, 6:18 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 4:53 am
While some may prefer the riper style of 2015, 2014 is a perfect archetype for Loire Cab Franc. A most classic vintage. I stocked up deeply among many key producers, similar to what I did in Bordeaux.
+1.

I've had '14 to '16 of Baudry's Le Grezeaux and Granges and my order of preference is 14 > 16 > 15. Nothing wrong with '15, still good, but I prefer the more classic, vin-de-garde Loire to the more lush, easier-to-drink-young '15. Stocked up on the '14s, including a bunch of whites.

I haven't tried any '17, but have had from a few other Loire cab franc producers that impressed, as I liked the Loire typicity that they showed. Looking forward to trying out some of Baudry's.
@brera

Nathan V.
Posts: 1488
Joined: November 9th, 2009, 11:47 am

Re: 2017 Baudry

#12 Post by Nathan V. » July 19th, 2019, 7:50 am

Chris V. wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 1:05 pm
My agent just contacted me with their 2017 Baudry offer. Prices seems to be up, but only a few $ per bottle. For the Grezeaux I paid $40CAD/$30USD for the 2016's last year. Looks like the 2017 will be $44CAD/$33USD. I think the value is still there, even though prices are steadily increasing.

I briefly read a comment by someone who had said Chinon had a good run of vintages from 2014 - 2017, and I can see Wine Spectator liked 2017 just as much as 2015 and 2010. Other than that I have no information. Does anyone have a read on the vintage? And specifically how Baudry did?
I buy every vintage because I think great vigneron always make good wine. That being said, I tasted the 2017s out of tank/barrel in 2018 and found them superb. I agree 2014 is really a special vintage.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Matt Fleming
Posts: 199
Joined: August 31st, 2010, 6:32 pm

Re: 2017 Baudry

#13 Post by Matt Fleming » July 20th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Nathan V. wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 7:50 am
Chris V. wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 1:05 pm
My agent just contacted me with their 2017 Baudry offer. Prices seems to be up, but only a few $ per bottle. For the Grezeaux I paid $40CAD/$30USD for the 2016's last year. Looks like the 2017 will be $44CAD/$33USD. I think the value is still there, even though prices are steadily increasing.

I briefly read a comment by someone who had said Chinon had a good run of vintages from 2014 - 2017, and I can see Wine Spectator liked 2017 just as much as 2015 and 2010. Other than that I have no information. Does anyone have a read on the vintage? And specifically how Baudry did?
I buy every vintage because I think great vigneron always make good wine. That being said, I tasted the 2017s out of tank/barrel in 2018 and found them superb. I agree 2014 is really a special vintage.
Indeed, the 2017 reds were superb out of bottle this spring. I'd note that there was a fairly obvious difference in near term enjoyment between cuvées we think of as being lower in the hierarchy chez Baudry. Both the Chinon and les Granges were drinking well and the other three need time. This is not unusual, just more pronounced in 2017.

Mathieu's '18 rosé is enjoyable as always, but he seems to still be finding his way with the white.

ps-I always remind myself not to generalize too much about the reds -- there must be 10 kilometers between the Chinon vineyard (near Clos l'Echo) and the three 'original' red vineyards with Guillot in the middle, there being additional variation in topography. This is nothing at all like comparing one Burgundy domaine's holdings to another just down slope, or to the same domaine's village wine.

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 32622
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: 2017 Baudry

#14 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » July 20th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Got my hands on a case of 2017 Grezeaux on Friday.

I do like the Croix Boissee, but the Grezeaux is such a value!
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 921
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: 2017 Baudry

#15 Post by Jim Stewart » July 20th, 2019, 4:27 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 4:01 pm
Got my hands on a case of 2017 Grezeaux on Friday.

I do like the Croix Boissee, but the Grezeaux is such a value!
I have very little tasting experience with Cab Franc, but I am interested in trying some and Baudry's gets some good words here. Do you think the Grezeaux will likely provide you drinking pleasure over the next few years or is more time likely to be needed to enjoy this wine?
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 32622
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: 2017 Baudry

#16 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » July 20th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Both. I find Grezeaux much more approachable than Croix Boissee.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Matt Fleming
Posts: 199
Joined: August 31st, 2010, 6:32 pm

Re: 2017 Baudry

#17 Post by Matt Fleming » July 20th, 2019, 7:34 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 4:27 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 4:01 pm
Got my hands on a case of 2017 Grezeaux on Friday.

I do like the Croix Boissee, but the Grezeaux is such a value!
I have very little tasting experience with Cab Franc, but I am interested in trying some and Baudry's gets some good words here. Do you think the Grezeaux will likely provide you drinking pleasure over the next few years or is more time likely to be needed to enjoy this wine?
Start with le Domaine. The '17 is quite fine, will be ready to drink now and for a few years, and will give you a sense -- very generally -- of the quality and style. Many of my friends who like Baudry have favorites from the named vineyards. In other words, after le Domaine it becomes a question of personal preference.

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 921
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: 2017 Baudry

#18 Post by Jim Stewart » July 22nd, 2019, 9:07 am

Matt Fleming wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 7:34 pm
Jim Stewart wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 4:27 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 4:01 pm
Got my hands on a case of 2017 Grezeaux on Friday.

I do like the Croix Boissee, but the Grezeaux is such a value!
I have very little tasting experience with Cab Franc, but I am interested in trying some and Baudry's gets some good words here. Do you think the Grezeaux will likely provide you drinking pleasure over the next few years or is more time likely to be needed to enjoy this wine?
Start with le Domaine. The '17 is quite fine, will be ready to drink now and for a few years, and will give you a sense -- very generally -- of the quality and style. Many of my friends who like Baudry have favorites from the named vineyards. In other words, after le Domaine it becomes a question of personal preference.
Matt Fleming wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 7:34 pm
Jim Stewart wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 4:27 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 4:01 pm
Got my hands on a case of 2017 Grezeaux on Friday.

I do like the Croix Boissee, but the Grezeaux is such a value!
I have very little tasting experience with Cab Franc, but I am interested in trying some and Baudry's gets some good words here. Do you think the Grezeaux will likely provide you drinking pleasure over the next few years or is more time likely to be needed to enjoy this wine?
Start with le Domaine. The '17 is quite fine, will be ready to drink now and for a few years, and will give you a sense -- very generally -- of the quality and style. Many of my friends who like Baudry have favorites from the named vineyards. In other words, after le Domaine it becomes a question of personal preference.
I guess it was meant to be as I found two bottles of the 2014 remaining at a local wine store. Lucky! . . . Now let's dance . . .
baudry chinon.JPG
P.S. I took this photo with my wife's Ipad and emailed it to myself under the subject "Baudry". When I received the email, the subject had been auto-corrected to "Baudelaire" which I thought pretty cool, after some initial puzzlement on why my wife was sending me something about Baudelaire)
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

User avatar
Chris V.
Posts: 504
Joined: July 31st, 2012, 6:40 am
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Re: 2017 Baudry

#19 Post by Chris V. » July 22nd, 2019, 12:17 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 4:27 pm
I have very little tasting experience with Cab Franc, but I am interested in trying some and Baudry's gets some good words here. Do you think the Grezeaux will likely provide you drinking pleasure over the next few years or is more time likely to be needed to enjoy this wine?
While I know there is upside on the 2017 Grezeaux it's damn delicious today. It's not at all shutdown IMO. For me it's hard not to just drink through the whole case in the next few months if that gives you any indication.

I'll note that if you've never had Baudry and you're very sensitive to Brett you might not like it. In my experience about 20% of bottles have had zero Brett, 60% have had very low levels of Brett that many might not detect and to me only adds complexity, and 20% have had obvious Brett that would turn many off but are still in my realm of enjoyment.
V a n d e r m a r e l

User avatar
Chris V.
Posts: 504
Joined: July 31st, 2012, 6:40 am
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Re: 2017 Baudry

#20 Post by Chris V. » July 22nd, 2019, 12:20 pm

J. D'Antonio wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 5:43 am

Wait until you taste the '18s ... I drank several bottles of the '18 Domaine while in Chinon a few weeks ago and it was fantastic. Can't wait for the Croix Boissee.

I agree with your comment that the '17s should drink earlier than the '15s and '16s.

They opened an '06 Les Grezeaux for me during my visit as well and it was very enjoyable and surprisingly fresh. Definitely something to drink in the near term!
Very cool. I'm excited to hear more next time we're together.
V a n d e r m a r e l

Michael Lewis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1109
Joined: June 11th, 2011, 11:05 am
Location: Washington DC

Re: 2017 Baudry

#21 Post by Michael Lewis » August 6th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Jay - I just got back from a low key vacation in the Loire, and was able to visit Baudry while I was there. We tasted mostly current releases but we also had the chance to taste a bottle of the 2000 Croix Boissee Blanc. It was fantastic - it aged very well and was (at least in those circumstances, straight out of the Baudry cellar) in no danger of imminent decline. Is your 2005 a Croix Boissee Blanc? I forget when they started making the Domaine Blanc as well, but I think it might have been some time after 2005.
Michael Lewis
Twitter: @MichaelLewisDC
Instagram: michaellewisdc

User avatar
Marc Frontario
Posts: 2422
Joined: May 6th, 2010, 4:00 am

Re: 2017 Baudry

#22 Post by Marc Frontario » August 6th, 2019, 8:17 pm

So far I have loved '14 chinon...esp. over '15
Find something you love....and let it kill u....Charles Bukowski
I cannot escape the ravages of this man....R.Alfert

Nathan V.
Posts: 1488
Joined: November 9th, 2009, 11:47 am

Re: 2017 Baudry

#23 Post by Nathan V. » August 7th, 2019, 7:54 am

Michael Lewis wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 6:49 pm
Jay - I just got back from a low key vacation in the Loire, and was able to visit Baudry while I was there. We tasted mostly current releases but we also had the chance to taste a bottle of the 2000 Croix Boissee Blanc. It was fantastic - it aged very well and was (at least in those circumstances, straight out of the Baudry cellar) in no danger of imminent decline. Is your 2005 a Croix Boissee Blanc? I forget when they started making the Domaine Blanc as well, but I think it might have been some time after 2005.
2000 was the first vintage, IIRC. It was not commercially released, so you were very lucky to taste it. I've only had it once.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”