Wine Drinking In France Sucks

…Not!!!

Landed in Paris yesterday and fully Jet-Lagged hit L’Étable Saint-Germain for an early meal.

A couple of nice bottles to kick-off what will be a big week of research for our next repast publication.

2013 Henri Boillot Meursault 1er Cru Charmes: Expressive nose of almond butter, citrus blossom and lemon. It is intense and voluminous in the mouth, cut with fabulous minerally acidity. A Charmes of great posture, drive and length.

2016 François Villard Côte-Rôtie Le Gallet Blanc: It had a gentle canter of equine running through it, along with bright berry and plum fruits. There was some liniment and floral spice too, and it is a mid-weight wine of good balance and energy, finishing crunchy. I would suggest drinking it young before a thundering gallop of thoroughbreds turn up.

A long. leisurely lunch planned at Le Bon Georges this afternoon, where we will suck down some more wines that don’t suck.

Cheers
Jeremy

That will teach you to stray off the Burgundy path…

I would suggest to add some dots to the title line - otherwise it is quite misleading!

Wine Drinking In France Sucks …

…Not!!!

I think that was the intent. And it seems to have worked.

I would be surprised if someone here had managed to miss the idiotic/hilarious thread started by Alan Eden and as such would not get the joke.

Berto warned me about you Jeremy, he said you had the taste buds of a yak !!

You should have taken some nice Cali chard and paid the corkage

Take care of yourself after the long trip, Jeremy. You sound a little horse.

Kent, order restored with a Burgundy only lunch today. Although we did finish with Chartreuse (for digestive purposes only).

Alan, we had a buttery rich Cali Chardy ready to go but the siren call of Boillot at a decent price stole the moment.

I was only going to have a mane last night Craig.

Don’t drink ALL the wine. I’ll be there in May.

Please accept my condolences. Seems like your group was feeling ill upon arrival in Paris. Only two bottles of wine??? Send in a medic!

Sorry for being a little soft Rich. We are back today, with a vengeance.

wine drinking in France is dead at retail

Me too [cheers.gif] champagne.gif

I bridle at the thought of bad French wine. Sounds like you are on the right track—neigh, we wouldn’t want to saddle you with bad wines. Your post will stirrup some interest. Thanks. Have a great week.

Sure does suck.

Do they sell these wines at Binnys?

And please don’t FINISH the wine, Jerry. I’ll be there in June.

[cheers.gif]

Oh,

Ok, mate hope you guys enjoy!

Guess you won’t be joining us for Mondy Table tonight then…

Great lunch at Le Bon Georges yesterday.

Had a 2014 Jean-Claude Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Ruchottes to kick off with. It possesses the Ramonet spearmint thing and the purest of white peach aromas and flavours you can imagine. It has volume, coupled with precision. There’s so much mineral just below the surface of fleshy orchard fruits and there’s length to burn. This wine was the perfect match with one of the dishes of the year thus far. Fat spears of white asparagus, firm on the tooth but not stringy or woody in any way, married with new season morilles. A few shavings of radish, some fresh turnip and plenty of butter and a light stock and you have nirvana.

We couldn’t choose between two younger red Burgs off the list, so we had them both. A 2014 Sylvie Esmonin Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru ‘Clos St. Jacques’ had muscle and perfume. There were notes of meat, red and black fruits, dried flowers and earth. It was fleshy and generous, with good intensity and a long savoury finish. A 2013 Domaine Amiot-Servelle Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru ‘Les Charmes’ was relatively tight, emitting a whiff of Asian spice, some ripe cherry and a flinty mineral character. It is discreet in the mouth, with good detail and plenty of cherry fruit. It builds in the glass, showing purple flowers and pungent minerality. There’s good underlying structure and it is a cool wine of elegance and length

Paul, Colin and I will try and consume a Chevalier today so as to be with you guys in spirit. Have a great night and send our regards to the boys.