This seems a little excessive, no? (UPDATED - it's not)

I just received my first shipment of Aubert chardonnay. Very excited to “Pobega” the first one but I saw this note in the case. I don’t have this kind of time! [rofl.gif]

Does anyone here actually think this is a prerequisite for enjoying a 2017 chardonnay? Seems like a weird thing to suggest.
IMG_7513.JPG

Double decanting for young wines isn’t ridiculous, though I wouldn’t normally think to do it with a California Chardonnay. Standing upright for a couple of days is odder. Are there expected to be significant sediments in the wine?

BTW I really like the Aubert Chards and have had many, young and old. To my palate they improve with 3 or 4 years of age, and are excellent for 10 or longer.

Makes me think the Aubert Winery is protecting their wine/reputation with their expressed methodology for the impatient so their wines show in the best possible light.

No, not excessive, just indirectly informing their clients they think the wine will be better down the road and will provide a better vinous ROI.

Only one way to find out! Open one bottle with the prescribed method, and PnP another for side by side blind comparison! [berserker.gif]

P&P baby. Forget that other junk.

This.

That seems a little over the top to me. I’d open, pour, and enjoy. They’re great on release.

It’s funny that on Levi’s podcast with Jeffrey Patterson, when he was asked about pressing there was a pause he said “I have always like to press…really hard”

Seems over the top. P&P

It’s funny. The people whose hard work and care go into making this luxury product, one of CA’s finest Chardonnays, suggest a serving method for impulsive types, and you all are like, yeah, Fuck that!

I would still try it over 3 days. Don’t really like Chardonnay at that temp. I find it better a bit warmer.

I don’t understand the logic behind step #4. Every other step seems justifiable and serves a purpose. 0 experience with Aubert so take my comments with a grain salt but if the producer took their time to include this then might as well try and follow.

Heh. Since it’s already been double decanted at that point, and there was no mention of sediments in those steps, that isn’t it. My guess is this is in reaction to customer feedback…as in, someone did the double decant, stuck a cork back in, put it in the fridge (presumably) on its side and had it leak…and happened to be the sort of person who has a persistent need to cast blame outward, with unrelenting anger. Something probably every wine drinker has done and learned from, a special sort of person needed to lash out at the winery for not warning them.

[rofl.gif]

These wines change dramatically over time. I take them at their word because I dislike picking slivers of oak out of my mouth. And…when these puppies are 10 years old or more…they are as good as non-burgundy Chardonnay gets. Pour a glass and let the wine sit…and it mutates, changes, alters its aromas, attacks, and finish. They are the real deal…so, no I don’t pop and pour.

Whatever. Not the point.

Yeah but they suggest a serving method to make it seem ever more special. Kind of like telling people to close their eyes and empty their minds of all thoughts before inhaling the aromas from the glass.

Seems a bit much. If someone is going to pay the price for an Aubert Chardonnay, they can do pretty much whatever they want. If they don’t like the wine, it won’t be because it hasn’t been standing upright for a day or two, it will more likely be because they don’t like uber-ripe oaky Chardonnay.

Not excessive at all. But, they forgot to add step 4a which is that anyone that is going to drink it needs to stand on their head for the 3-4 hours while the bottle stands upright.

+1

Def double decant such a young wine. Standing up ( of wine or tasters) probably redundant.

Had a funny experience in Quebec City last fall. Fri night dinner at restaurant ‘A’ the first white was a 2014 Chablis 1er Cru (sorry, I forget which). The sommelier decanted without being asked, knowing that the wine was to consumed now, not an hour later. It was perfect. Saturday night at restaurant B we asked for another young Chablis to be double decanted and the sommelier initially refused. I had to make an explicit direction. Both were top top tier restaurants. Totally opposite attitudes to the wine ( and the customer come to that).
(The second resto maybe had more laurels to rest on).

People underestimate the need for young quality whites to open up. Pop n pour will hide most of the complexity.