TN: 2000 Louis Jadot Volnay 1er Cru Clos de la Barre

• 2000 Louis Jadot Volnay 1er Cru Clos de la Barre - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru (4/6/2019)
    Popped and decanted due to crumbly cork to accompany roast chicken with fennel. Medium ruby color. Fresh nose of cranberry, sea air, violets, damp soil. Crisp, tart, brambly red raspberry and mulberry fruit on the palate with lots of sap and almost crunchy texture. Bright acidity and firm but filed-off tannin to balance. Long finish of red cherry fruit cut with fine iron particles and stony grip. Energetic, delicious wine caught in its prime. Found ourselves repeatedly looking at the vintage and label, and commenting “This is really good”. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. A surprise 2000 for sure, i would guess.

Drew,

I have had so many pleasant surprises with the 2000 vintage that I regard it now as a treasure trove and reload whenever I can.

Cheers,
Doug

Interesting. Thanks, Doug.

Doug, This has been a favorite of mine from Jadot. They really reward and need close to 20 years to show their best…thanks for sharing!

Kirk,

I’ll say. This tasted so very fresh and alive. Sounds like you may have a bunch of it - lucky man.

Another cool thing is that if you can find 2000 red burgs in the marketplace, the tariff is usually fairly reasonable.

Cheers,
Doug

Open any grand cru 2000s lately?

I have some Mongeard-Mugneret Echezeaux VV I was thinking of trying

Michael,

Last couple of 2000 grand crus tried were a Jean Raphet Clos Vougeot sampled in November 2018 (rated 91) and a Domaine Dujac Charmes tasted November 2017 (also rated 91) which was tasted young and took 2 hours to open.

Cheers,
Doug

1999 Clos de la Barre was very good, quite pretty and structured.
Cracked a 2000 Denis Mortet Gevrey En Champs last night that was right in the zone. 2000 is a vintage that with hindsight I bought far too sparingly.

I have had so many pleasant surprises with the 2000 vintage that I regard it now as a treasure trove and reload whenever I can.

Actually no surprises but almost becoming the rule - people often damned 2000 as an off-vintage (unjustifiedly), but the (good) wines were always good, have filled out nicely when maturing and are now drinking in their prime …
Not what I would call a great vintage - but really good and now giving a lot of pleasure.

Thank you Kent and Gerhard. Would agree.

Cheers
Doug