NV Vilmart Cuvee Rubis Brut Rose

Last October, I had the good fortune to pour champagne as a volunteer for the Skurnik Wines West annual fall Champagne and International Wines Tasting extravaganza in LA. Many of the houses represented came from the Terry Theise portfolio of Champagnes.

My good fortune was extended as I was selected to pour 5 champagnes representing one of my favorite small growers, Vilmsrt & Cie. If I`d been given a choice, this would have been my selection.

After tasting the Cuvee Rubis, I realized I just had to add this back into my cellar after having loved it in the past, but not replenishing my supply once consumed.

Here’s a recent sample of a 6 pack I purchased:

NV VILMART & CIE CUVEE RUBIS BRUT ROSE- 90% Pinot Noir, 10% Chardonnay; disgorged 7/16 at 9 gpl dosage; a blend of 2013 and 2014; superb wine with nice red cherry, strawberry, blood orange and a bit of cranberry accented by spice and chalk; what gets my attention is that it has the perfect elegant taste profile of noticeable and tasty fruit, but not understated or overbearing and it was not too sweet.

Here’s some info about this producer:

Vilmart, a Recoltant Mahipulant, was founded in in 1890, now headed up by 5th generation Laurent Champs, and located in the Premier Cru village of Rilly-la-Montagne. An important aspect that distinguishes them from many others in this area is that their organically farmed vineyards, called Blanches Voies, are south facing as opposed to the more prevalent north facing vineyards. The 65 yer old ungrafted Pinot Noir and Chardonnay vines are used for the top wine, the Coeur de Cuvee and new single site blanc de blancs.

Interestingly, the estate is made up of 70% Chardonnay, 29% Pinot Noir and 1% Meunier. I say interesting because they are located in the Montagne de Reims, 1 of the 5 subregions of Champagne, which overall averages 56% Pinot Noir, 28% Chardonnay and 16% Pinot Meunier.

Also I find it`s interesting that they ferment and age everything in large oak foudre and demi-muid for the NV wines and smaller barrique as well as demi-muid for the vintage wines and block secondary fermentation {ML}.

Cheers,
Blake

IMG_0373.JPG
IMG_0374.JPG

Nice notes, Blake. I reloaded again after tearing through my first bottles way too quickly.
1E0C6FEE-19FC-454F-93A8-A4E132722349.jpeg

Sounds familiar

This is just such an awesome Rosé Champagne. We just tasted the vintage Rubis side by side 06 & 09. It really showed how much time sideways these wines deserve.

Though for my palate there is a huge jump in quality from the NV to the vintage Rubis.

Interesting. When I posted my notes, I was thinking of how it would be against the vintage roses. Must give some a test.

For me the difference comes as the wines age. In their youth I’d rather have the NV over the vintage…there is little difference that my palate picked up. However, with time the NV stays on a pretty similar track and the vintage starts to really pull away in depth and complexity.

Not to mention a HUGE jump in price.

And scarcity.

But I’m not a big fan of the NV. I often pick up a slight candied note that I find offputting so it’s not on my radar for moderately priced Champagne but I love the vintage Rubis so that is on my radar for splurge Champagne.

There are other NV Rose Champagnes I prefer in this price range (Drappier, Camille Saves, etc.)

I`ll add to the list of other favs in this category: Ruinart, Laurent-Perrier, Billecart, Louis Roederer, Geoffroy, Giraud and Feuillatte.

It’s funny that none of the “other rosés” mentioned by Jay or Blake are ever on my buy list anymore. Just not a fan.

So, what would you add David?

Chartogne-Taillet, Mousse Fils

My splurges are Bollinger, Krug and of course Vilmart.

Bollie is also one I could have included in my house rose list. Krug only on special occasions and only a few times a year. Need to try the first 2- thanks.