A Rare Trip Down Under

We have a small four person group that gathers for long dinners every other month at our favorite restaurant. One of the group indicated he’d like to bring the reds, and depart from our usual Burgundy centered focus. We acquiesced, but insisted on starting with some fun white burgs. Enjoyed over a four hour dinner at the always fantastic Bellecour.

WHITE BURGS AND PENFOLDS. BELLECOUR, WAYZATA MN - (4/2/2019)

• 2006 Domaine Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    Our enjoyment of this bottle ascended throughout the course of our long dinner. Rich, forward fruit, that came across as stately and regal.
  • 2009 Maison Leroy Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    A lovely citrus packed Perrieres. Like all our whites tonight, drunk leisurely over hours and continued to improve. Very good rather than great, yet very pleasing. Still quite youthful.
  • 2010 Marquis de Laguiche (Joseph Drouhin) Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Montrachet Grand Cru
    A cornucopia of flavors, that oozed sex appeal. Lovely.
  • 2014 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    It’s hard to overstate how enjoyable this wine is, even at this age. Youthful, precise, classy, engaging. I love it.

• 1966 Penfolds Grange - Australia, South Australia
    We started our Grange flight with the '66. A touch of VA, but not overbearing. This bottle showed its age, but drank well and was luscious.
  • 1976 Penfolds Grange - Australia, South Australia
    This bottle was clean, pristine and showed with utter clarity. Interesting combination of deliciousness, structure, and power. An eucalyptus note, and for our “what would you guess if this was blind?” game, two of us said 74 Heitz Martha’s. A great bottle, and ultimately my favorite of the Grange foursome.
  • 1982 Penfolds Grange - Australia, South Australia
    Fat, sassy, and fun. A robust if somewhat unctuous wine.
  • 1991 Penfolds Grange - Australia, South Australia
    Youthful and pure, and at 28 years old this is still literally a baby. Eucalyptus and mint. Stunning now; easy to imagine how fantastic well stored bottles will taste at age 50.
  • 2004 Penfolds Bin 60A - Australia, South Australia
    We ended the night with a Penfolds surprise - 2004 Bin 60A - a blend of roughly 50/50 Cab and Shiraz. A sublime bottle of wine, which was muscular, chewy, and utterly unique. Like the 91 Grange, this will likely age forever. Fantastic.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice work Brad. Good bottles of the '76 Grange are wonderful.

It’s so rare to see tasting notes on Grange, after the huge price jump that seemed to happen in the past decade. Thanks for posting.

Niccccceeeee! '14 Lafon strikes again :slight_smile:.

i had a small taste from a pristine bottle of 1966 Grange few years ago. Very nice.

I purchased 6 pack of 2004 Bin 60 A at release. Looking forward to tasting them when they show some maturity.

We (our wine group made a group purchase) had an utterly fabulous bottle of 1962 Bin 60 A some time ago. Perfect provenance. It would rank as one of the best bottle of wine I have ever had (incl all Bordeaux/Burgundies/Barolo/Barbaresco etc etc ).