Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

TCA Has No Smell..

#1 Post by TomHill » April 4th, 2019, 12:11 pm

Rather interesting article in which I find out that TCA has no smell:
https://www.acsh.org/news/2019/03/29/do ... lame-13912

A rather interesting, if surprising, article.

I have a sample of a few crystals of TCA, compliments of a friend at ScottLabs, that is soaking in vodka. The small jar
is enclosed in two ZipLok, placed in a jar that has a tight clamp on the top, w/ a piece of SaranWrap sealing the
opening. Yet I can pick up the jar, thru all the seals, and smell the musty/wet newspapers when I hold it close
to my nose. Wonder what actual thing I'm smelling that the TCA is subducting?

Anyway, a nice read for the chemists on the Board.
Tom

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TCA Has No Smell..

#2 Post by Anton D » April 4th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Fascinating!

This is an interesting in vitro article:

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013 ... 1300764110

We know the correlation with the presence of TCA is real...https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/jib.230

I knew a oenophile neurologist who thought TCA affected wine "odor" by allowing you to smell "how you really smell" while suppressing sensation of more pleasant odors.

Like someone who gets irritable on caffeine: the caffeine makes them able to see others as they really are.

Perhaps there are other molecules that occur with TCA that take part? Maybe slight molecular changes into other haloanisoles and halophenols?

This ---> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27092849

This abstract will take you to Pub Med, which has a free link to the full article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30356030
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by John Morris » April 4th, 2019, 1:59 pm

Anton D wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 12:50 pm
Like someone who gets irritable on caffeine: the caffeine makes them able to see others as they really are.
[rofl.gif]
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » April 4th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Fascinating! Thanks for posting.
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by John Morris » April 4th, 2019, 2:17 pm

TomHill wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 12:11 pm
I have a sample of a few crystals of TCA, compliments of a friend at ScottLabs, that is soaking in vodka. The small jar
is enclosed in two ZipLok, placed in a jar that has a tight clamp on the top, w/ a piece of SaranWrap sealing the
opening. Yet I can pick up the jar, thru all the seals, and smell the musty/wet newspapers when I hold it close
Anton D wrote:
I knew a oenophile neurologist who thought TCA affected wine "odor" by allowing you to smell "how you really smell" while suppressing sensation of more pleasant odors.
So, Anton, are you saying that Tom just learned what he really smells like? He came to my apartment once, and I don't remember him smelling like wet cardboard.
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by TomHill » April 4th, 2019, 2:25 pm

John Morris wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 2:17 pm
TomHill wrote:
Anton D wrote:
So, Anton, are you saying that Tom just learned what he really smells like? He came to my apartment once, and I don't remember him smelling like wet cardboard.
Only because I'd just showered aforehand, John. [snort.gif]
Tom

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Anton D » April 4th, 2019, 2:50 pm

John Morris wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 2:17 pm
TomHill wrote:
Anton D wrote:
LOL, but kinda.

If TCA inhibits some olfactory neurons but not others, it could explain the variability of how different people can sense/perceive it, and perhaps that same alteration would be a little like taking out only the "red" on a TV screen, with a drastically altered perception of the image from a single defect. TCA "smell" might be what gets unmasked when only a specific subset of neurons is affected. So, cork taint may be a perceptual phenomenon rather than it having a direct "scent."

The variability from person to person is fascinating.

This is all just me talking out of my TCA-hole, of course! [cheers.gif]
Click to see spoiler:
I just made myself chortle, "my TCA-hole," that's a good one. champagne.gif
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Alan Rath » April 4th, 2019, 4:09 pm

Hmm, I don't think his statement "TCA has no smell" is true. Certainly you can smell pure TCA on its own, without being in wine (or anything else). It is an EXTREMELY pungent and strong aroma. Is he really saying that TCA only serves to amplify other aromas around you? Given that badly wine always smells the same - like TCA - that seems a non-starter on its face.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Scott Brunson » April 4th, 2019, 4:13 pm

John Morris wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 1:59 pm
Anton D wrote:
[rofl.gif]
sounds like a Killgore Trout novel
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Anton D » April 4th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 4:09 pm
Hmm, I don't think his statement "TCA has no smell" is true. Certainly you can smell pure TCA on its own, without being in wine (or anything else). It is an EXTREMELY pungent and strong aroma. Is he really saying that TCA only serves to amplify other aromas around you? Given that badly wine always smells the same - like TCA - that seems a non-starter on its face.
I always thought it did, but everything I read says not true. "Odorless."

From that link I posted: "The odor of TCA is not directly perceived."
Anton Dotson

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Alan Rath » April 4th, 2019, 5:02 pm

As I said, TCA is one of the strongest smelling compounds you will run into - don't ever play with pure solid TCA, it will saturate the room. I don't know how to reconcile that with the article.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Markus S

#12 Post by Markus S » April 4th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Perhaps you simply need to stick it next to CORK to reveal its' magic!
$ _ € ® e . k @

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Doug Schulman » April 5th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 5:02 pm
As I said, TCA is one of the strongest smelling compounds you will run into - don't ever play with pure solid TCA, it will saturate the room. I don't know how to reconcile that with the article.
It makes no sense. I've read about a water supply that was noticeably tainted. That really contradicts what the article says.

Tom, I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but I hope you're very careful with that jar. I would never go near solid, pure TCA. Even diluted, that could really mess up your home.
ITB - retail sales and education

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by RichardFlack » April 5th, 2019, 4:58 pm

This is a bit like reading on a wine writers web site two reviews of a wine, made a couple of months apart that award scores of 15 (no flaws noted) and 17.5.

I’m really confused how some say it’s super pungent and others that it has no aroma. Is this just a semantic issue, bit like whether black is a colour?

Clearly it has an impact on the olfactory system. Is that a sufficient definition of “smell”?

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Wes Barton » April 5th, 2019, 6:52 pm

Anton D wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 4:31 pm
Alan Rath wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 4:09 pm
I always thought it did, but everything I read says not true. "Odorless."

From that link I posted: "The odor of TCA is not directly perceived."
You might be right: That it's something that's usually coincidental to TCA that is being smelled. That might explain a few things. One is the claim that some wines are corked when there's no musty smell. Other wines reek of it, but don't seem muted at all. Of course, all of that is confused by a range in sensitivity (and susceptibility to "perceive" it at all). Also, while it's sensical a more intense wine might only be partially muted while a more delicate wine fully muted, that correlation doesn't always exist in relation to "how corked" a wine is.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by RichardFlack » April 5th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Not sure if this is relevant, but I’m one who is unfortunately on the lower end of the ‘TCA spectrum’ (my wife is on the high end so that compensates). Especially when it’s a mild case, I tend to detect it as much from lack of fruit and a dullness on the palate as I do on the nose. Not sure if that relates to this discussion or not.

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by john stimson » April 5th, 2019, 9:38 pm

so this is all very interesting, but then what is the incredibly penetrating, musty moldy smell we all get when there is TCA there? Is this then just mold that is everywhere, but our threshold is now suddenly changed? then why, in a tasting of wines where one bottle is corked, do we not all of a sudden get this smell in every wine in the tasting, and why don't all of the wines have that tart, fruit muted characteristic taste of a TCA affected wine? Sorry, I don't really buy it.

Adam G

#18 Post by Adam G » April 5th, 2019, 9:47 pm

This is a great explanation of why some very mildly corked wines just "lose their fruit". I actually detected a corked wine at a winery by accident this way once - I'd had a bottle of the same thing a few nights before and the one at the winery was just, for lack of a better phrase, aromatically dead.
A. Gr0ssm@n

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by David Glasser » April 6th, 2019, 6:01 am

Just like black, white, and gray aren’t colors and optical illusions don’t really exist.

Of course TCA has a smell. Whether it arises from suppression or aberrant stimulation rather than traditional stimulation of olfactory receptors, the perception is there. If you smell pure TCA, you will say it has a very distinctive smell.

Gordon Fitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Gordon Fitz » April 6th, 2019, 7:42 am

I thought it was an April Fools Dsy article!

LarryA

#21 Post by LarryA » April 6th, 2019, 8:03 am

I can say, from smelling the pure TCA that Tom has encapsulated at his house, that it smells exactly the way TCA smells in wine, except at a much more intense level. And that's outside its several containers! Granted, there are a lot of wine bottles in the vicinity (always!), but they are sealed and do not smell like wine in other parts of the room.
Larry Archibald
Santa Fe, NM

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by brigcampbell » April 6th, 2019, 8:50 am

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#23 Post by larry schaffer » April 6th, 2019, 9:44 am

Adam G wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 9:47 pm
This is a great explanation of why some very mildly corked wines just "lose their fruit". I actually detected a corked wine at a winery by accident this way once - I'd had a bottle of the same thing a few nights before and the one at the winery was just, for lack of a better phrase, aromatically dead.
Adam,

Interesting indeed. Of course, the only way to know for sure is to test the wine for the presence of TCA.

There are many other potential reasons why a wine may lack aromatics, including slight oxidation, potential bacterial issues masking aromatics, 'bottle variation' . . .

Somewhat like certain diseases in humans - the only way to verify is post mortem . . .

And the fact that some can pick it up and other can't may be due to a number of things - mainly the fact that we all have different sensitivity levels to ALL aromas . . .

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Cris Whetstone » April 6th, 2019, 9:59 am

Of course TCA has an aroma. It smells like flawed wine.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Megan Joy

#25 Post by Megan Joy » April 6th, 2019, 10:09 am

Seems this is just click-bait, and a poor translation of a scientific article by a writer who did not understand what they were reading and forged ahead anyway.

The scientific article cited partway through is https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3791788/ and while it is also well above my scientific literacy, it still doesn't seem to say that TCA has no smell, only that it works in a different way than most aromas. That in addition to the unpleasant aromas we perceive, it basically works to block and distort our entire sensory apparatus.

The full scientific article is an exploration of how cork taint can mute our ability to smell and taste wine even when we do not smell the characteristic musty/wet-cardboard aroma, not a statement that the aroma doesn't exist.
ITB
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Temperance Hill Vineyard

Al Osterheld

#26 Post by Al Osterheld » April 6th, 2019, 10:51 am

Megan Joy wrote:
April 6th, 2019, 10:09 am
Seems this is just click-bait, and a poor translation of a scientific article by a writer who did not understand what they were reading and forged ahead anyway.

The scientific article cited partway through is https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3791788/ and while it is also well above my scientific literacy, it still doesn't seem to say that TCA has no smell, only that it works in a different way than most aromas. That in addition to the unpleasant aromas we perceive, it basically works to block and distort our entire sensory apparatus.

The full scientific article is an exploration of how cork taint can mute our ability to smell and taste wine even when we do not smell the characteristic musty/wet-cardboard aroma, not a statement that the aroma doesn't exist.
That's also my reading of the paper. Indeed, it states TCA has an odor but the biological mechanism through is which the odor is perceived may be different than for most substances.

-Al

Adam G

#27 Post by Adam G » April 6th, 2019, 1:28 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
April 6th, 2019, 9:44 am
Adam G wrote:
Adam,

Interesting indeed. Of course, the only way to know for sure is to test the wine for the presence of TCA.

There are many other potential reasons why a wine may lack aromatics, including slight oxidation, potential bacterial issues masking aromatics, 'bottle variation' . . .

Somewhat like certain diseases in humans - the only way to verify is post mortem . . .

And the fact that some can pick it up and other can't may be due to a number of things - mainly the fact that we all have different sensitivity levels to ALL aromas . . .

Cheers.
True all around. But the catch here was that the wine was not sufficiently tainted that it had any musty or other "off" aromas or flavours. The tasting room staff hadn't smelled TCA (or its effects) when they opened it or served it to the previous 10 or so people who sampled it. They all just thought it was an uninteresting and muted wine. It was only after asking the tasting room staffer why the bottle was so different from the one I'd had two nights prior that they took a minute to evaluate it and declared it corked. Only after that statement did I learn about the fruit-muting effects of TCA, since that was more or less the rest of my discussion with that person the rest of the visit.
A. Gr0ssm@n

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Wes Barton » April 6th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Adam G wrote:
April 6th, 2019, 1:28 pm
larry schaffer wrote:
April 6th, 2019, 9:44 am
Adam G wrote:
Adam,

Cheers.
True all around. But the catch here was that the wine was not sufficiently tainted that it had any musty or other "off" aromas or flavours. The tasting room staff hadn't smelled TCA (or its effects) when they opened it or served it to the previous 10 or so people who sampled it. They all just thought it was an uninteresting and muted wine. It was only after asking the tasting room staffer why the bottle was so different from the one I'd had two nights prior that they took a minute to evaluate it and declared it corked. Only after that statement did I learn about the fruit-muting effects of TCA, since that was more or less the rest of my discussion with that person the rest of the visit.
But, just because they declared it corked doesn't mean it was. Larry notes alternative possibilities.

Another way to look at it is young wines in barrels can go through muted phases and come out later. That, while other barrels of the same wine don't go through that. Any winemaker experiences that. We also get that sort of bottle variation pouring young wines sometimes. If you set that bottle aside and check on it later, you may indeed get that signature smell, or it may just sit there muted, or it may come around and start showing properly.

At group tastings where there's a dispute over whether a wine is corked and there's at least one claim of that musty smell, if it is corked, the smell becomes more prominent with time. There's a very similar smell in some very mature wines which tends to fade with time. With both cases you'll likely witness a notable opinion shift.
ITB - Useless lackey

Al Osterheld

#29 Post by Al Osterheld » April 7th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Al Osterheld wrote:
April 6th, 2019, 10:51 am
Megan Joy wrote:
April 6th, 2019, 10:09 am

That's also my reading of the paper. Indeed, it states TCA has an odor but the biological mechanism through is which the odor is perceived may be different than for most substances.

-Al
I read the research paper more carefully, and there may be a conventional explanation.

The study included measurements of the effect of TCA on biological cells and also utilized a small panel of human subjects.

The authors did not measure a response when they exposed individual olfactory receptor cells to TCA, but measured a large suppression of certain ion channels that are part of the signaling mechanism for these cells. These measurements were the basis for the claim (in the media article) that TCA has no odor, but would strongly suppresses signals from the receptors when they react to other odors.

The panelists could detect a musty TCA odor in all substances studied including wine, beer, tea, nuts, even mineral water and tap water. They state that the panelists had roughly the same TCA concentration threshold for noticing a decrease in other odors or for detecting the musty TCA odor.

The authors didn't have an explanation for how an extremely low concentration of TCA can cause perception of a musty odor even if it did not seem to trigger receptor cells, but they offered several potential causes including that the suppression of receptor output may be interpreted as an olfactory response.

As far as the possible conventional explanation, they note that their cellular experiments used receptor cells from newts and that they don't know whether they tested all types of olfactory receptors in newts. Also, there are genetic differences in olfactory receptor cells in amphibians and mammals, so it's possible humans have receptors that are highly sensitive to TCA even if newts do not.

-Al

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Wes Barton » April 7th, 2019, 3:06 pm

They state that the panelists had roughly the same TCA concentration threshold for noticing a decrease in other odors or for detecting the musty TCA odor.

The authors didn't have an explanation for how an extremely low concentration of TCA can cause perception of a musty odor even if it did not seem to trigger receptor cells, but they offered several potential causes including that the suppression of receptor output may be interpreted as an olfactory response.
That makes sense.

Our perceptions adapt with continuous input over time, so as you smell a wine some more obvious odors decrease, which allows us to pick up more subtle aromas. That serves an evolutionary survival role.

Perhaps, for whatever reason, there's some sort of need to directly suppress the TCA smell (so that it would actually be a lot worse at full volume) or there is/was something else that needed to be suppressed that way and TCA just happens to trigger that defense without the defense actually working on the TCA itself. Either way, it sounds like the suppression response is proportional to how much TCA our receptors register.
ITB - Useless lackey

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Tom DeBiase » April 7th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 3:06 pm
They state that the panelists had roughly the same TCA concentration threshold for noticing a decrease in other odors or for detecting the musty TCA odor.

That makes sense.

Our perceptions adapt with continuous input over time, so as you smell a wine some more obvious odors decrease, which allows us to pick up more subtle aromas. That serves an evolutionary survival role.

Perhaps, for whatever reason, there's some sort of need to directly suppress the TCA smell (so that it would actually be a lot worse at full volume) or there is/was something else that needed to be suppressed that way and TCA just happens to trigger that defense without the defense actually working on the TCA itself. Either way, it sounds like the suppression response is proportional to how much TCA our receptors register.
Yes, adaptation is key. Over time one's sensory receptors adapt to virtually any aroma. The only receptors that have little or no adaptation are the cold receptors. The stimulus will continue to trigger the receptor as long as the stimulus is in contact with the receptor.

Tom

Return to “Wine Talk”