Visiting the Loire valley?

A friend of mine is going in Sept. Any idea who is good with folks that aren’t super serious? Any good restaurant suggestions?
Thanks

Tell them to get a bike and do some cycling. Beautiful countryside and if they’re not too picky, just stop at any wine place or cafe.

Which part of Loire Valley are they intending to go to? It’s a large expanse where driving can eat up time.

Anyway, if Saumur/Chinon/Touraine area, then I’d recommend Domaine Filliatreau and Bernard Baudry.

In Savennieres, Domaine Closel, Huet and Chidaine (in nearby Montlouis) are good visits.

What part of the Loire will he/she be visiting?

Was on a self guided bike tour of the Loire Valley last year and had a great time (FYI it’s pretty flat). Visited Vacheron in Sancerre but had to arrange in advance, and French fluency (which I do not have) was strongly advised. Turned out really well anyway. If I had to do it over again I would schedule a visit with C and P Breton - really enjoying their 1989 and 1993 Borgueil Perrieres now.

Les Arpents in Amboise was crazy busy but we had a great time. I was introduced to Jacky Blot Mi-Pente at that dining establishment. Strong wine list.

Be advised, the Loire Valley is a very large area. About a 2-2.5 hour drive from Chinon to Sancerre, for example.

Cheers,
Doug

If your friend happens to visit the Fontevraud Abbey, I strongly recommend a meal at La Licorne (they’ll pass by it on the way from the parking lot to the abbey). A bit of French will be most helpful; but I’ve seen Americans who don’t speak French dining there, and they seemed to be getting along ok.

I, personally, skip the offered set menus, and build my own from La Carte. Their wine list is mainly wines from the Loire (of course), and the prices are modest.

Doug, did you ride a bike into the town of Sancerre itself? This guy did!
Cheers, -Jim
big calves.jpg

Jim,

Haha, my calves do not look like that! No, our bike trip was in the eastern Loire Valley starting in Amboise and traveling eastward. Going up the Sancerre hill would be a bit of a grunt for sure. Worth it, though. Lovely town.

Cheers,
Doug