CT Etiquette Question

Let’s say you open a bottle of wine and have a glass or two, then put it away and have another glass or two on a subsequent night. Do you post ONE note and one rating for that bottle, or do you rate each encounter with it and give them each their own note? also, which do you find more helpful when looking through a wine’s recent CT notes?

One note per bottle and subdivide the note into night one, two etc. with a score for each night

However, just my personal opinion here, if you had already posted the note on night one, and night two provided significant new information, I’d say better to post another note than not to.

The whole point of CT notes are to share information, nobody is hurt by a second note on the same bottle here and there.

If I’m trying to figure out a drinking window this would definitely help in the assessment.

I usually revisit the original note. If I change the score on the second or third, I’ll note why and when.

Yeah, if the wine is better on night 2, that’s helpful information to me, but I would say best practice is to edit the original note and update your score to reflect your final assessment. Else you skew the ratings with numerous scores. You could just as well post a note/score when you open, then another score after a decant, after dinner, next day, etc.

I like the OP as posed because I think it is a true question of etiquette. To me, the rule would be one score/note per bottle.

On the other side of the coin, if you bought a case, I think that confers the right to post 12 notes. Which gets me to thinking… how many times must you taste a wine before you really “know” it?

There are many unfinished notes out there a la “will revisit again tomorrow and update…”

Although the overarching point is to share a longitudinal impression of the wine, I readily admit that many of my own notes are pretty weak. Still, I want to record (for my own recollection) that I tasted the wine, and if all I have is a short clip, so be it (but just one, lol)

I’m in agreement to just edit the original note to provide the day 2 info. Also, generally I try to only post 1 SCORE per year, unless a subsequent bottle shows that the original bottle was incorrect/flawed/hugely different… but I’ll discuss that in the note.

I tend to agree with the emerging consensus here (and this is what I do) – edit the note and add – and if I change the score I note the original score and why it has been changed.

The one issue this raises, I think, is that I get a notice of a new score on a wine I have through CT, which I then read. If the note is then edited, I dont think that generates a new “ping” to me – which means I might miss the edit unless I go back and look. Of course, if I am looking up notes on a wine I am thinking about opening, then I will see and benefit from the edited version.

I don’t put in a note until I finish the bottle. That basically solves all issues and ensures one note per bottle.
I don’t get the rush to put a note in. It’s not like there’s a gold star for doing so. Plus unless it’s liquor, a bottle doesn’t last all that long?

That said the exception would be if i coravin a glass every 2 months for a year. I would put in separate notes. But that just doesn’t really happen for me personally.

I put it all in one note, usually entering it all after the second day. If I put a note in CT the first day, I edit it.

I see a fair number of CT notes with day 2 comments. I’m sure it happens, but I can’t recall seeing a separate note with a day 2 update. Either way conveys the same information so I’m not sure it makes any difference. Unless someone is checking TNs every day and ignores yesterday’s notes. Then they’d miss the update.

My general practice as well.

On the same note for me.

I do the same.

Me too.

You can edit a note of yours? I thought you couldn’t do that.

If you can, then my earlier comment is moot. No need ever to post a second note on the same bottle.

Yes you can edit the tasting notes. I’ve edited notes years after the initial posting if I notice a misspelling or grammatical error.

For bottles that get consumed over a few days I either wait to post the note once I finish the bottle or I will post on day one and then append a day 2 update after finishing the bottle.

I am struggling to see this as an etiquette question.

I would not do a separate note for day 2. Just include it in the original note. Day 1: Day 2: and don’t forget about Day 3!

I do the same. that way I have a better feel for the bottle before posting and can post the note and move onto the next wine I want to drink. inevitably, I would forget to edit a note with a day 2 assessment if I tried to go back and do it.

I have seen it a few times recently, which is what prompted my OP. Especially when they have separate scores and multiple days and few other notes, it can really skew the scores. I recently ran into one where the same guy had coravined a single bottle over a 4 month period and posted 7-8 different notes and scores on the same bottle ('98 beaucastel blanc VV). it was a little ridiculous.

I think it can turn into a housekeeping question mostly. 5 notes with 5 scores from a single bottle that has 6 reviews total, or even turn into 5 of the last 15 notes, can both significantly skew a wines score and clog up a notes section with oversharing.

I have seen it a few times recently, which is what prompted my OP. Especially when they have separate scores and multiple days and few other notes, it can really skew the scores. I recently ran into one where the same guy had coravined a single bottle over a 4 month period and posted 7-8 different notes and scores on the same bottle ('98 beaucastel blanc VV). it was a little ridiculous.

Yes that is ridiculous. Just put it within the same note and edit it. Not too hard to do that.