TN: 2016 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Heritage No. 7 Whistling Ridge Vineyard

2016 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Heritage No. 7 Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (4/3/2019)
First time with a Goodfellow wine, but thankfully it won’t be the last. Clarity, purity and elegance are the first things that come to mind. Then the tannins kick in, and it’s clear that this wine means business. It has balance, but in a serious way. I could just quaff it, as the entry is fruity and friendly, but it’s compelling enough that I just can’t do that. The ripe strawberry and cherry fruit persists through to the finish, so that friendliness stays present, and promises that, aligned with the fine structure, there is ample room for development over the next several years. This is convincing stuff.

Posted from CellarTracker

I keep hearing good things…thanks for the note

Great note. I generally don’t open Marcus’ Pinots for at least 7-9 years after vintage as they age well, but the ‘16s, including this one, are really strutting their stuff early and making me rethink my strategy (at least for this vintage).

Holy crap Buek - I’m drinking the same wine tonight! Haha. That exclaimed, your note on it is absolutely spot-on - this is some ridiculously good juice, effortless drinking yet the definition of structured elegance and one that has years of life ahead of it. Just a complete wine and my only regret tonight is that I don’t have a great meal to accompany.

My first time with a Goodfellow red and Marcus may even do better with Pinot than he does with Chardonnay. Acid lovers should definitely take note - this hits all the right spots.

This is a fantastic wine. I love the perfect balance, red fruit and silky texture with finishing grip. Reminds me of Burgundy in many ways. Beautiful stuff.

I intentionally did not make the Burgundy reference, as I think this wine stands as a testament to its terroir, but you’re right.

Completely agreed, this wine very much speaks of Oregon yet certainly reminds of Burgundy.

I ordered some on Bersker’s Day so thanks for the note. I just became a fan of Rieslingfan.

Mine was also a Berserker Day purchase.

Power without weight!

Love, seeing new blood trying one of my favorite wines. Berserkers turned me on this stuff a few years ago and now its the #1 holding in my cellar. Of course, the heritage series represents the best barrels of Marcus’ labor and they are truly excellent wines. What get’s me excited is that pedigree and craftsmanship extends to everything Goodfellow offers all the way down to his ~$20 Cuvee’s of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay and the Whistling Ridge Blanc.

Sean