TN: 2006 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Bosconia

2006 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Bosconia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (4/3/2019)
Rose petals and warm herbs drift atop a bed of dusty red fruit and worn leather. Sneaky tannins break through in the mid-palate, to remind me that thirteen is still so early for an LdH Rioja. Time and patience are allies.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for this. I have a bunch of these in 375.

Thanks, David. I bought a few of these after tasting an otherworldly bottle from the mid '90’s last year.

Patience is the key word on these.

I have some of those as well. I was thinking they might be ready now, but then keep seeing these notes indicating holding. What are you thinking, Neal?

Thanks, David, for the note as I don’t have much experience with older rioja.

In the context of Lopez de Heredia, this is not remotely “older.” If you have multiple 375s, why not open one. The wine gives pleasure, and you will be able to see where it stands in the evolution curve. It’s young for LdH, but who knows what that means for you.

I think David’s advice is sound. LdH uses 100% new American oak, and I like to wait long enough for that to dissipate. I’ll probably check in in another 5 years, but opening one now wouldn’t be a crime. Just go in knowing that the oak will be noticeable.

Say what? [scratch.gif]

LdH uses 100% American oak, but no-one in their right mind would ever call their barrels new - they are for the most part covered in mold and cobwebs and seemingly on the brink of breaking apart. They have a ridiculous amount of barrels in their cellars, but only a small fraction (up to 10%, often noticeably less) is renewed annually. Seeing how their wines can age up to 10 years in a barrel, it’s very hard to find any new oak aromatics even from a freshly released vintage.

Bought a case of '06’s a month or so ago, the evening after drinking a really beautiful '81 at lunch with a friend. It was truly a revelation on how mouth filling & feminine these Bosconia’s become with time. So, following the formula - hold until 2044. Oops.

I have both the '04 & '05 LdH-T, but have not tried the '06. How does the 2006 vintage of LdH compare to '04 and '05. Any insight is much appreciated. I am sure my magnums '04 will be sleeping for a long time, need to bury them so I can’t see them. Out of sight, out of mind. Cheers

Whilst I’m sure you’re right about barrel age - I don’t find this to be true at all.

Anyone try the 06 Tondonia Reserva?

How can you find new oak aromas from a wine that barely sees any?

Oak notes in general perhaps, but I find it very hard to believe that any Heredia wine would be described as showing noticeable new oak character.

There is absolutely no new oak flavours whatsoever.
2006 Tondonia is ok, but is far behind 2001, 2004 and 2005 IMO

I missed the word “new”. Sorry - I meant oak notes in general.

The whole point of my comment was a reaction to how Neal was saying Heredia uses only new oak…

Maybe folks confusing Heredia’s Bosconia vs. Tondonia? Like Burg vs. Brdx.

Bosconia?

No. Somebody specifically asked about Tondonia, which spurred comments.

Yes, my typo - Bosconia.