Rochioli Single Vineyard

I just got on the list for Rochioli and was wondering what people thought of their single vineyards. I’m a fan of Rochioli and signed up for the list about 5 or 6 years ago once I started to get a little more serious about my consumption. There isn’t much talk about Rochioli when I search so I’m curious why that is and what people think I would expect. It seems they have 3 offerings and you must purchase from 2 of the 3 to stay on the list. The offering I recieved was for the River Block Chard and South River Vineyard Chard.

They are unaashedly Californian, And they are excellent for the style in which they are made. As long as you are not opening them for Francophiles, they tend to be great crowd pleasers.

They are excellent and age well. I agree they speak of California, but the ones I have are not on the bigger or riper side for California, like Martinelli or even Dehlinger.

I think you can find them around at retail, including some mature ones. Maybe buy one and see what you think before getting too deep into the mailing list.

Agree about their quintessential Californianess.

I enjoy them greatly and they are in the pantheon of Peter Michael, Aubert, and Lynmar type quality.

If I had to ever use that crap term “hedonistic,” it might apply to these a little bit. Maybe I’d go with opulent. [wink.gif] I just feel luxurious when I am drinking them.

We are still drinking them from the later 90’s and they hold up well, as well.

Their single vineyards are very special in my book. I have found their chardonnays hit my sweet spot 3-6 years from vintage date. Their single vineyard pinots are great 6-10 years from vintage dates. My favorites are Rachael’s and Sweetwater for chards. The West Block Pinot has reached a price I do not buy -$120. Three corners is the Pinot I usually get.

They are Russian river wines and not shy. Though, I find they are not hot or high alc… I think their single vineyard Chardonnay is a relative good value for what it is ($70 range). Pinots are now $90 and $120- I’m buying very selectively.

Anton - I assume you’re referring to the reds here?

I agree with Douglas that the chardonnays are best within 6 years from vintage and I don’t think I’ve ever gone past 10. The pinots, on the other hand, are just hitting their stride around year 10. Although they’re often irresistibly delicious in the 6-8 year range.

Steve, you should buy both South River and River Block. Wait a year to try one before next Spring’s chardonnay offer hits and see what you think. I find that there can sometimes be a little extra dose of oak if you don’t at least give them a little time to integrate.

My friend!

Next time I see you, I will try to bring both! [cheers.gif]

Yay! A theme! champagne.gif

Just had the 16 River Block and really enjoyed this bottle.

My first year on the list as well. I’ll probably buy a few bottles of chard for dinners with a family member who only drinks chardonnay, heavier on the old vine SB for myself if I get an offer for it. Also in on some pinot for aging when they offer it in August. I have yet to open the Estate SB I recently purchased.

I admit to being Rochioli obsessed. I made “the list” last year after an 11 year wait. My English Bulldog, named Rochioli, passed away last year after 12 amazing years! So I purchase a case of estate Pinot and a few estate Chard and SB every year. Then I buy on average 3-6 bottles of the small block Chards and take my entire allocation of small block Pinot (27 bottles last year) and 4-6 bottles of Syrah, By sheer coincidence, my 2018 Estate order arrives today via UPS. I can’t wait to try the new vintage, but I usually let them settle for 3-4 weeks.

Had a 2014 at the tasting room last week for a private tasting. It was very Chablis like with just a touch of California sunshine. Bought 3.

My single favorite winery. Can’t recall a disappointing bottle over the last 10 years save one corked, which the winery replaced. Recent 2010 Little Hill was outstanding.

I love their Chardonnay’s the most. They have kept their prices for the single Vineyards to $68-78- much appreciated! All five vineyards only produce 5-8 barrels each. Any one can hit it out of the park (lack of sports- ugh) on any given vintage and all impressive. Looking forward to a ordering a few.