Krug 165 and 13 Hebrart Special Club

2013 Hebrart Special Club - High acidity, mineral driven, with granny smith, lemon oil, and just a hint of white flowers and dinner roll. Needs time. A lively, high verve champagne perhaps lacking just a bit of density and stuffing. Still, a nice crisp champagne. Give it time and you will be rewarded. 91

Krug Grand Cuvee 165eme
Actually based on the 2009 vintage stock, with wines back to 2001. This, like the 164, is not as dense, yeast heavy, or slightly oxidative like past MVs. That is not to say that it is lean, or lacking extract. This is a really strong showing from Krug, with just a whiff of berry, ginger snap, flint, white peach, citrus, floral notes and what I found to be a distinct smoke note that was absolutely enchanting. One of the best Krug MVs I’ve ever had. It’s excellent. 95

I got that ginger snap element in the 165, for sure. I called it “spicy ginger” at the table. I also got tons of floral and some lychee. Beautiful, incredible wine, no doubt.

Thanks for the notes!

Love the 165. I’ve stocked up a bit lately.

Quick side note in case any of you were not aware- but the 165 was made in very limited supplies and only offered in a handful of markets. I confirmed this with Krug when they were here recently. Agree it is a very special, and unique, example. One to stock up on ASAP for any reading this who are interested.

Yeah I’d read that. Something like 1/12th the normal production, with limited geographic distribution. It’s not cheap, but it’s better than most other champagnes I’ve had of late.

From AG:

It is hard to believe today, but in 2008/2009 Krug went through a very challenging period. Because of the economic crisis, Krug bottled very little Champagne in what will surely be seen as a very shortsighted business decision, if it isn’t already. Production of the 165 is about 1/12th of normal, or the equivalent of one month’s supply, and Krug did not bottle any vintage Champagne. Consequently, the 165 was shipped to just 4-5 markets, including the Unites States, UK and France. Most countries will never see the 165.

Just grabbed three more bottles for $165/btl. [cheers.gif]

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go hide from my wife.

I have seen that quote as well, and frankly I am not sure I believe it to be accurate. In champagne, and especially at Krug, bottling decisions are made with the potential market 5-10 years down the road in mind- not the current state of affairs. The question of the smaller production came up at the Krug event, but I do not recall that a specific reason was ever given. Certainly 2009 has not yielded many champagnes I cared for- Krug 165 is about it. So I had assumed it was about the vintage itself.

I like most of the 09 champagnes; dp, Vilmart cdc, Cristal are all very nice.