TN: 2012 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Clisson

2012 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Clisson - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine (4/1/2019)
A few years in the cellar, and this is in the zone. Ripe lemon, peach skin, seashell and salty minerals create a compelling, invigorating sensation that keeps drawing me back for more. Moderate acids make it very easy to drink, with (pan seared scallops) or without food. Wonderful.

Posted from CellarTracker

Think I still have some 2005, 2007 and 2008 of this, it’s always great. Not sure why I don’t just buy a case every year and bury it.

I seem to buy it every other or every third year. It’s enough for my consumption level.

What does the Clisson offer compared to the Clos de Briords ? Always thought the “Muscadet Village” concept was a bit of a marketing gimmick, so have not checked out any.

The Clisson is from different soils (more granite) and sits on the lees for 2 years. The Briords sits on the lees for under a year. Personally I prefer the Clisson as it is rounder and very user friendly probably due to more lees contact. My house white.

I like the Briords, but prefer the Clisson because of the extra bit of richness. I am no Muscadet purist, so a little rounder/more depth is fine with me.

Same here.

And now for the counterpoint, much as I love the Clisson I still prefer the Briords for its more crystalline minerality.

But between them they are 2 of the greatest values in wine out there so it’s a bit like splitting hairs and a matter of taste. Would you prefer to live rent free in the palace with the mountain view or with the ocean view?

I’m with Jay. I only had the Clisson a couple times but felt like they were trying to trap a wider audience with it maybe. It felt rounder but less interesting. Like it wasn’t something I couldn’t get elsewhere. Plus, at least last time I looked it also cost a decent clip more than the Briords.

So you are implying that bottling a separate wine from different terroir is a marketing ploy?

I like all the Clisson that I had, but not had many over the years. The differentials with the Briords that are posted are in line with my experiences. I’ll gladly drink any Clisson poured in my glass, but my preference is with the laser-sharp cut and more minerality of the Briords.

Always happy to have less competition for this bottling.

Which is which?

Mountain view please.

Screw the ocean.

The back and forth of this thread, the point and counterpoint, have convinced me that I have to give the Clisson a go. May pair it with a Briords from the same vintage (2015?) and do a face to face. Lots of wine out there to explore, to learn a little more, to enjoy, to share, to agree or disagree on. [cheers.gif]

It’s a fairly inexpensive comparison. I did it several times, and then decided my preference was the Clisson.

But not 2015. 12, 13, 14, or 17 (when Clisson is released).

Thanks for the note. I have a case of mags of this - first time I laid this down. Will wait a few years considering the format.

Is the 2015 atypical for one or both?

That depends, see below

_______________prefer Mountain View______prefer Ocean View
prefer Briords____MV=Briords______________OV=Briords
prefer Clisson____MV=Clisson______________OV=Clisson