Examples of "restrained" To Kalon Vneyard wines

Just wondering if anyone here has some good suggestions for wines from the To Kalon Vineyard that are made in a more restrained, elegant style. For me the Mondavi To Kalon bottlings (also some vintages of Paul Hobbs’ BTK cab) are along the lines of what I’m thinking of, but would appreciate all thoughts out there on this topic. Can be Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, or Proprietary Red Wine - no requiement as to varietal.

Thanks!

Hi John,

You might look into TOR. I’ve had a few of their BTK Cabs and they can be described as elegant. They also have a Cab Franc and a Cab-Sav/Cab-Franc blend BTK which I have not tried but from reviews sounds like you might find interesting.

Cheers!

John picked what I would have picked.

I’d put the Alpha Omega in there, as well.

Curious to see some answers on here. I admit I’ve not had a Paul Hobbs BTK or Tor BTK in recent vintages, but if I recall correctly they’ve both been playing in the 14.9% - 15.5% abvs in a good number of vintages going back to like 2006 forward. I’m not sure which other producers I’d call elegant, I’m just not sure I’ve ever had a Tor or Paul Hobbs wine that I’d consider “elegant.” I’ve had many recent vintages of Alpha Omega single vineyards now, and while I do absolutely think that the BTK is the most elegant of the bunch, it’s still pretty damn high octane and sees a ton of new oak for a long time. I’d say it presents a brighter profile, but is still a banger (and I’m happy to own a decent bit of the 2016).

This would be a great Roy Piper answer. Someone who is in the Valley working elbows and assholes with the folks making BTK wines.

I’ll be curious to see suggestions here as well. It’s somewhat of a challenge to define ‘restrained’ these days but it looks like you’re using ABV and new oak usage as the main parameters, correct? I would think this certainly, on paper, would be good guide posts, but also flavor profiles that the winemaker is trying to achieve would be important here as well . . .

Calling Roy?!!?!?

To toss in a white wine, I love the Mondavi I Block.

macdonald
certainly not in the style popular during the cult craze days

I was scrolling down to post MacDonald as well.

Was at a cab dinner several months ago with a local WB group. Tor was the least favored out of a dozen or so. I found it to be an overripe ,hot, unbalanced mess. My only experience with it and in no hurry to repeat

1995 Mondavi Reserve.

That was Tim Mondavi’s AFWE masterpiece.

Cellar Tracker notes seem to indicate that it’s moving into a very special place right now, going on a quarter century.

Will echo Mondavi To Kalon Reserve.

Had the 2010 a couple of weeks back and it was shockingly balanced. Far from AFWE for sure, but definitely a more restrained expression. Was shocked to see 15% abv on the label, as I would have guessed no more than 14%. Loved it.

My vote also goes for MAC. And while I have never had Detert Cabernet Franc, I’ve heard its delicious and made in a more balanced style than your typical NapaBomb these days.

I agree with this. I’ve had the opportunity, through multiple liquor stores in DFW going out of business, to buy and drink the 1995 and 1996 about a half dozen times a piece over the past decade (for pretty damn cheap). I don’t think they’re the most wildly complex wines or anything that I’d consider a legend of Napa Valley, but if you’re back filling and don’t want to pay the premium of 1996 Ridge Monte Bello or 1997 Montelena Estate for that classic profile, the Mondavi’s from both of those years are very good wines.

I see a 95 Mondavi Reserve sold for $90 on Wine Bid last month.

I’m a fan of Detert’s Cab Sauv, but for my palate their wines need a LONG LONG time in bottle to calm down.

In the past year or so I’ve had some 2002 and 2004 Cab Sauv that were sublime; more recent vintages have been bruisers.

The Cab Franc especially so: I opened a 2005 about 18 months ago (therefore 12 years post vintage) and my TN said it was “amped up to 11… wildly intense and dense… it had the stuffing to outlast any radioactive fallout caused by Little Rocket Man”. And 12 months ago I opened a 2006 CF: “Still a brute. Ripe, high alcohol, and impossible to identify as Cab Franc.”

I’m hanging on to my other Detert CF until they’re at least 15 years post vintage, if not longer.

great call
I was going to suggest the '90 but you beat me to the punch. [cheers.gif]

Thanks Andrew for the feedback on Detert. I don’t have the patience to wait 15++ years for a wine to come into its own. Maybe the next time I am hanging with Alex I can peek over the fence to see if they have any 2002’s open to buy…

Brian
You’ll discover auctions soon enough. Its Andy’s weakness already [cheers.gif]

Agree about mid-90s Mondavi Reserve Cabs fitting the bill. I’ve not had it in 10 years, but the 1996 Mondavi 30th Anniversary Cab is possibly 100% MacDonald fruit, and that was super elegant when I had it last. That particular wine has a unique label, with a nighttime image of the winery and a shooting star on it. The 1994-1996 Reserves were all elegant. Nowadays? Hmmmm, will have to give that some thought. [shrug.gif]

Who me? [bow.gif] pileon

BTW I have an unwritten agreement with another WB forumite that when either of us sees aged Detert come up for sale, we usually try to share the wealth. (Notice the qualifiers in that sentence?)

I’ll go one step farther- Detert East Block Cabernet Franc.

I’m not sure that you are going to get “restraint” from BTK. The vineyard is positioned for ripeness. I think that’s why you get answer like Mondavi, Detert and MacDonald. The latter 2 are tucked away close to the hillside, so they are a bit more covered and shaded. Mondavi has a huge holding, a lot of which is also tucked by the hillside, and is blended with other varietals too.