TN: 2016 Domaine Weinbach Riesling Schlossberg Cuvée Ste. Catherine

2016 Domaine Weinbach Riesling Schlossberg Cuvée Ste. Catherine - France, Alsace, Alsace Grand Cru (3/31/2019)

Opened at Granor Farms. This wine is made from 60 year old vines grown on granite soil in the Schlossberg Vineyard. I purchased this on sale for $25. Pale straw color. This was a well balanced wine and showing excellent promise at this young age. Very fresh and lively now with notes of peaches, white flowers and talc. Dry with only a touch of sweetness. This will put on weight and depth with age. I have 2 more bottles which I will hold. 94+ points.

VM

Thanks for the note. Interesting that it didn’t show particularly sweet. I think the only wine they make that doesn’t have substantial RS is the straight Schlossberg.

I don’t find this wine to come off as too sweet. The ones that I have had all seemed to be rich and in great balance. I checked a couple of tech sheets and the listed RS was in the 5 to 7.5 g/l range.

Great price.

Schlossberg or Clos des Capucins vineyard? All the Weinbach labels have Clos des Capucins on them, since this is where the estate is headquartered. But the Schlossberg vineyard is a ways away.

Wow, where’d you get this crazy deal on it? At that price I would have bought a ton.

Schlossberg. That was a mistake and I fixed it.

VM

Binny’s. It was on bin end and I bought the last 3 bottles that they had.

VM

I like Weinbach a lot and think that Schlossberg is among the top Riesling vineyards, anywhere. Unless they’ve changed, the Cuvée Ste. Catherine refers to a late-picked selection, though not officially a VT (St. Catherine’s day is in late November.)

I love Weinbach and that wine in particular but as I get older, it seems sweeter (2004 vintage is my reference as I loaded up then).

where did you find such a great price? thanks for the note