TN: Pinot noir you wouldn’t serve to your worst enemy

Shout out to Tom Hill for inspiring this brief yet passionate note. Certain wines are memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Who in the world greenlighted this abomination? Wrong soil, wrong winemaking, wrong everything. The only sensical thing I get from this 2016 “Vampire” Pinot noir is the light body/color. Fruit is nonexistent as it has been completely obliterated by heavy vanilla oak. Short, disjointed, bizzare, and downright appalling on the palate. I seriously question whether the winemaker tasted this before bottling it. Thank god I only pissed away $5 buying this on closeout.
60 points.
DAC35CE5-A101-4575-BB9D-0BD103EF681B.jpeg
52FBD129-7DFE-4995-9906-26E911E69F3D.jpeg

Napa, tho’.

Martinelli…

TTT

Note doesn’t count without historical thunder bucket dump photo…

Just sayin.

Wait…you drank a $5 bottle of wine and didnt like it?

Elouan

60 points!

$5 bottle of pinot noir no less.

Wish I could’ve dumped it down Thunder Bucket. The new toilet outclassed the wine.

Good TN, Mark. Could use a few more ////'s though.
I almost bought a btl of this last Halloween. Just for the label. Guess I’ll pass.
Tom

Nice save.
[diablo.gif]

champagne.gif

[thankyou.gif]

Yup! Hello Captain Obvious

Good to have you back posting, Mark. Your adventures in bargain hunting are a great thing on this board. Keep it up.

To your chosen subject line,

Vampire wine is undead at retail.

Did you serve it with a steak seasoned with garlic? I hear that kills the wine.

There is currently a long list of very crappy wines masquerading as PN. Since the US only requires 75% of a variety to be in a wine to be called that variety some real abominations are on the shelves in the PN section. Many are upwards of $20. For those of us that love PN, the addition of gewurz, merlot, along with super ripe Syrah, Zinfandel, or Petite Syrah creates horrors!

I’ve said this before, but the majority of consumers who want to drink a pinot do NOT want to drink a pinot that tastes like most Burgundies or high end Pinots made elsewhere - they want to drink a ‘generic tasting’ wine that gives hints of pinot but, most importantly, want to be able to say that they are drinking pinot . . .

Of course, the same could be said for most <$20 cabs as well . . .

Cheers.

[winner.gif]