TN: Three Arneis..(short/boring)

Tried these three Arneis over the weekend:

1. Matteo Correggia Dd’OCeG: Roero Arneis (13%; GiulianaImports) Canale 2017: Med.light yellow color w/ slight tiny bubbles; strong floral/Arneis/carnations/lemony/grapefruity/citric light stony/chalky/bit minerally nose; quite tart/acid/citric/grapefruity bit floral/Arneis rather lean/austere/metallic quite stony/flinty/steely bit eviscerated/green/underripe flavor; med.long very acid/citric/metallic light floral/Arneis/grapefruity quite lean/austere rather stony/flinty finish; a rather attractive Arneis nose but a bit screechy/eviscerated/steely on the palate; more like Cortese than Arneis; a rather severe wine that’s a bit painful to taste but one that should soften & put on weight w/ a few yrs in btl. $24.50 (SFW&S)

1. Idlewild Arneis WildRuthRanch/YorkvilleHighlands (12.2%; www.IdlewildWines.com) Geyserville 2018: Med.light yellow color; very strong floral/Arneis/carnations/spicy some perfumed talc very perfumed/aromatic almost muscatty nose; some tart/tangy strong Arneis/floral/carnations/apple blossom some chalky/mineral/perfumed talc bracing/lithe balanced fairly rich flavor; very long/lingering somewhat tart/tangy/bit citric strong floral/Arneis/carnations bit lemony/citric light stony/perfumed talc finish; loads of floral/Arneis fruit w/ nice underlying stony character; seems a bit tight right now; will probably benefit from 1-2 yrs and put on weight; a bright/lithe/wirey Arneis w/ loads of fruit. $30.00

1. Mauro Sebaste Dd’OCeG: Roero Arneis (14.2%; AlfioMoriconiSlctn; SarantyImports/Stamford/CT; www.MauroSebaste.it/en) Sylla Societa Semplice/Alba 2017: Med.light yellow color w/ some tiny bubbles; very light light pineapple/floral ligt stony pleasant if bland nose; rather soft some metallic/tangy very light pineapple/floral very slight stony rather bland/vapid/watery flavor; short bit soft very light pineapple/floral fairly tangy/metallic pretty vapid/watery finish; another dupp/vapid wine from Saranty that speaks neither of Arneis nor Roero. $19.00 (TW)

A wee BP:

1. Sebaste: This is a real brick&mortar wnry in the Piemonte. Not a made-up name. But it appears the only place to buy this producer is TotalWine. All thru SarantyImports, of course. Not the least bit interested in trying their Barolo at $38.

1. Idlewild: Another outstanding 2018 from Sam. This is his first harvest from the WildRuthVnyd up in the YorkvilleHighlands. It’ll be exciting to watch how these wine come out as the vnyd puts on some age. I can hardly wait for Sam’s Timorasso from WildRuth. Patience…but it’ll happen.
    Tom

The ‘16 of that Arneis was drinking pretty well in the fall of last year. I’d even call it quite typical, though I tend to like a bit more acidity in my whites. Thanks for the heads up on the ‘17.

Which one, Justin?? The Corregia? I generally like their wines a lot. And I think with time, it will be a good/solid Aeneid.
Tom

Yes the Correggia, meant to quote.

Hey Tom, thanks for the note and timely as we had the 18 Idlewild Arneis from Wild-Ruth Ranch and it was silly good with my wife’s Ling Cod with braised fennel over red quinoa. Wonderful pairing.

When I first encountered the Mauro Sebaste winery, a young kid (under 30?) had just taken over the domaine, and I remember a Dolcetto/Barbera/Nebbiolo blend he was releasing that simply blew my mind (I think it was called Bricco Viole?). I believe it was the '85 vintage. I bought their wines for a few years and just adored them. Then I heard the property had sold, or had some money issues and they kind of dropped off the planet. Seeing the label at Total Wine did bring back some great memories, but I had heard the wines were nothing special anymore. Thanks for the note Tom -