Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux Echezeaux

2016 Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru (3/31/2019)

This Echezeaux is produced from a parcel in Rouges du Bas. Showing ripe cherry, earth and espresso on a layered palate with perfectly ripe tannins and good balancing acidity. Sublime and showing promise!

Posted from CellarTracker

Interesting–not to be a pain in the butt, but I don’t think I have really tasted “espresso” in a red burgundy. (Bordeaux and cab, yes, of course.) But maybe that’s just me?

Joshua,- this was high-quality espresso refined and delicate !! [cheers.gif]

Fair enough, Barry,
Enjoy!

I’ve tasted a combination of coffee/coffee grounds/unsweetened dark chocolate in a few 2003 red Burgs.

Thanks for taking one for the team

FWIW - I had it on Saturday in our comprehensive 2016 tasting: no espresso imho, nice red cherry fruit, good balance, all true, but in a slightly reserved way, structure showing a bit (too much), it wasn´t one of the most impressive wines of the evening, good, not great.

am curious about the comprehensive 2016 tasting and most impressive wines ?

With pleasure! who tries the Les Suchots or Latricières, might be even better?

Sorry, the times to write very extensive TN here about my tastings have gone … too much effort, usually not enough resonance …

However: we tasted 28 wines, 4 whites, 12 red Burgundies, 12 red Rhones … all 2016.

The best whites: Domaine Barroche Pure blanc and Mordorée (Delorme) Condrieu (and a very good Meursault Tessons Buisson-Charles).

The best Burgundies: JJ Confuron CV, Michel Gros Brulées, Liger-Belair VR Village, Mugnier NSG Marechale, M.Noellat VR Suchots
(slightly disapointing: Hudelot-Noellat Ch-M Charmes, S.Cathiard VR Orveaux and the Arnoux E. )

The best Rhones: hard to say because almost all were simply stunning, 2016 an incredible vintage:
Rostaing LL, Ogier CR and Clape R. from the north (Gonon was corked),
Pegau R., Mordoree RdB, Barroche Fiancée, Caillou R., V.Donjon, Mon Aieul, Marcoux VV all were as good as it gets … all in the 95-99 point range.

Nice Tasting. IMHO the majority of 2016 red Burgundy’s are stunning and often more transparent to terroir than the 2015s are!

I agree, but imho the 2016 Rhone Valley is a singularily greater vintage than 2016 Burgundy …
some Burgs lacked a bit mid-palate and intensity … something I noticed already in my barrel tastings …

1 Like

Gerhard, can you please explain your “lacking a bit mid-palate” comment? Just trying to better understand (taking no side here). My understanding was 2016 was a more concentrated year due to hail damage, which I would think is the opposite as lacking mid-palate intensity? I had thought the major concern with 2016s was varying levels of acidity versus 2015? Not intending to hijack this thread, but curious for your expanded thoughts.

On one hand I was comparing the “possible greatness” of 2016 to other “great” Burg vintages like 2015, 2010, (2009), 2005, 1999 … on the other hand to 2016 Rhone Valley: some Burg-wines lacked (imho) intensity and mid-palate (I could also say "weight/follow-through between initial acidity and finish on the back palate - or the acidity wasn´t matched with enough intensity or extract, so they felt a bit light-weight) … qualities all tasted Rhone wines definitely showed in abundance …

I have no real explanation for that (maybe the frost was less damaging in some spots, or 2nd shot berries were used …?), but I´m talking about fine producers and fine vineyards … these wines were good to very good, but not great.
Other wines HAD real intensity, so the vintage is definitely not of consistent quality thoughout.

A-L Les Suchots is usually the best wine in the stable except the RSV … I always preferred it to the Latricieres-Ch.
(BTW: E, L-CH, CV and LS are usually priced equally …)

How about the Arnoux-Lachaux Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Reignots?

The Latricières is fabulous :slight_smile:

It can be very fine - but the problem is they own only 0.22 ha and production is tiny, only 2 barrels, sometimes only one, and the quality is more vintage dependable than other crus. Spicier, darker berries, structure usually more detectable than LS or E. … but usually it´s ecxcellent.

‘only 0.22 ha’ - but Charles says that it’s his favourite wine from the estate…

Why not - sometimes we love our most difficult children dearest … flirtysmile

(I suppose it´s more work to do at Reignots than at Suchots …)