Truchot vs. Tremblay

Last night, got together with friends and drank a 2001 Truchot Charmes Chambertin together with a 2006 Cecile Tremblay Chapelle Chambertin. Obviously, it was not a contest but an enjoyable evening drinking three wonderful wines (we started with a 2015 Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet that was quite nice but a bit too young).

The idea of having the two wines together came from a comment once to me by Peter Weygandt that he thought that Cecile Tremblay makes wines are similar in style to Truchot. I cannot say I thought her wine was the most similar to Truchot in style of any producer I know of (that would be Ponsot), but I could somewhat see his point. The Truchot 2001 Charmes was just an outstanding wine that was pretty complete - beautiful balance, pretty long finish, everything I could ask for except that maybe it will be better five years from now. I would not say that the Tremblay had all the same characteristics as the Truchot but it was a pretty darn good wine. Very impressive effort and from a vintage five years younger than that of the Truchot and what probably is not as good a vintage. Also probably will be better in five more years.

In comparison, I thought the wines were of somewhat similar weight, with the Tremblay having a darker color (but not a dark color by any means). The Truchot probably had a bit more inner concentration while the Tremblay probably was a bit brighter. Anyway, a most enjoyable evening.

I am an ardent admirer of Tremblay’s wines, but 2006 was one of her earlier wines and I really feel she began to show her greatness, starting with 2008. Not that ‘06 is a bad wine, but not one of her best.

It was probably the wine I own from her that was most ready to drink. And, it is the only grand cru I have from her (I have one more bottle) as the grand crus became impossible to get once she became better known.

Also, not sure when you last had this wine, but it was quite good.

Ponsot like Truchot??? Hmmmm

I think of Jouan as the only close option.

A couple of years ago, with the 2008 and 2009.
It was pretty good, but forgettable next to the other two. Preferred the 2008 BTW.

Maureen-

How about Jean-Marc Millot and Bruno Clavelier like Truchot. 85 Ponsot’s are Truchot like!

I had the 2010 Trembley Chambolle-Musigny Feusselottes 1er last night. Textbook Chambolle. Gorgeous floral nose. Fully integrated tannins with a great mouth feel. Really lovely wine.

Add Dublere (albeit cleaner)

Haven’t had any/enough of either to compare. Don’t think i have had any 85 Ponsot either (but the ‘88 CSD is one of my all-time greats)

In my experience, there isn’t anyone like Truchot today…or Verset or Overnoy or Gentaz.

I really don’t see either of these tasting that much like Truchot wines. I like Jouan wines a good bit, but when I have had the wine with a wine from Truchot it seems simpler and does not have the core of concentration that I find to be the hallmark of Truchot’s wines.

I also like Dublere wines a lot and find them to be among the best values in Burgundy today. They are beautiful understated wines that are really a joy to drink. And, the few times I have met Blair, I have really liked talking with him. Very down to earth, but very intelligent - he has a reason for everything he does in the vineyard and in the winery. But, to me, the wines just don’t taste like Truchot wines, although they do kind of have the same weight as the Truchot wines. Wonder what Blair’s wines would taste like if he had the old, old vineyards Truchot worked with.

I agree they don’t taste the same. But the weight and the tendency towards being fragrant reminds me of truchot, i.e., similar in style, which was the original point I think.

Right. Truchot had a gift. Reminds me of Muller Catoir in the Hans Gunter Schwarz era. Nothing will ever be the same.

According to my recent tasting of the 18s, the best alternative option for Overnoy seems to be… Overnoy.

Quality wise, yes. I find that Tremblay has very sweet tannins though, quite a distinction from Truchot though.

Yeah, every bottle is different!

1 Like

still waiting to have a good bottle of the poulsard. the 15 was terrible from four different bottles spread across both bottling lots. the vso is the best wine for me but i would still take a ganevat mon pere over it.

regarding truchot, were they not completely destemmed? dunno how that would compare to the prominent whole cluster character of tremblay…

15 is really good and quite consistent from my cellar in France! Not wines that travel well, however, I think it’s fair to say.

Cécile doesn’t do much more than 1/3 whole cluster for most cuvées, sometimes less. I don’t find it stands out any more than the same amount does, for example, chez Roumier. I know less about the details of Truchot’s winemaking but if he was using an old destemmer quite a few bits of stem probably made it into the tanks… That said, there are obviously a lot of other differences, from farming practices up, between the two estates.

Well both Tremblay and Truchot wines are impossible to source and very very expensive… on secondary market. Clearly something in common…