Julian Haart Piesporter Schubertslay Riesling Kabinett | Reserve |

2016 Julian Haart Piesporter Schubertslay Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (3/30/2019)

Made from vines planted in 1905 and only 9% alcohol. A truly explosive wine. With sensational balance of exotic fruit, minerals, and super-elegant acidity, the finish is super-long and really polished.

2016 Julian Haart Piesporter Schubertslay Riesling Reserve - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (3/30/2019)

Made from vines planted in 1905 and 12% alcohol. Super-cool and super-delicate wine with great depth and wonderful balance with lemon-mineral freshness at the very long finish. A stunning wine!!

Posted from CellarTracker

Never saw the reserve bottling but the normal 2016 Schubertslay is Kabinett State of the Art

What is the meaning of this (back) label term “Reserve” ?

never saw a white label and agree the red label 2016 Haart Schuberslay is fantastic

the reserve is some type of one off cuvee he made before the parcel exchange with keller. maybe it is closer to a gg style? i contacted vom boden about getting a couple of bottles before it arrived in the states but once they landed i was never informed where i could purchase them. i was told flatiron was getting most/all of it but i never got an offer from them either…

This sounds great and now I’m frustrated! I’ve been looking all over for a Kabinett at ~7% alcohol (I’ve posted on this). These were my go-to wines 20 - 50 years ago, but I essentially did not think they were being made any more, primarily (but not entirely) due to global warming. So here’s a post on a Mosel at 9%… close enough… but apparently unavailable in the U.S., at least according to WineSearcher.

Board members: Any recommendations? While I prefer Ruwer/Saar to Mosel, I’d be thrilled with a good Mosel and I wouldn’t turn down a Rhein or Nahe (although harder to find those with low alcohol).

Board recommendations please. I may post a thread if I have to.

Dan Kravitz

The white bottlings are super old vines, not a GG. The Schubertslay is 100+ and is also being bottled as a separate Kab by Keller and will go to auction. Expect $300+ a bottle.

In 2017 there was an Wintricher Ohligsberg ‘white label’ Kab, also the Schubertslay Auslese 3*.

Old fashioned Mosel Kabi, Julian Haart, Weiser-Kunstler, Spater-Veit. Vintage dependent Grunhaus, Prum, Muller.

Quite rightly we are seeing Kabinett cost more than Spatlese and Auslese now in some cases.

Less sugar means more alkohol and vice versa. This means, you still find Kabinett with 7 % Alc, but they are very sweet then. The typical Mosel, Saar and Ruwer Kabinett has 8 % alcohol. But ther is a new trend in making Kabinett drier and therefore with more alcohol. Julians Kabintett is a good example. Even the year over year champoin, Egon Müller’s Auction-Kabinettt, became drier in the last 5 years and has around 9 % alcohol.
2017 was a great vintage for Kabinett in that region, so almost everything is good. Kabinett 2017 from Peter Lauer, Weiser-Künstler, Fritz Haag, Schloss Lieser, Willi Schäfer, JJ Prüm, Max. Ferd. Richter, Grünhaus, and many more are great. I would chose according to preferred style.

Less sugar means more alkohol and vice versa. This means, you still find Kabinett with 7 % Alc, but they are very sweet then. The typical Mosel, Saar and Ruwer Kabinett has 8 % alcohol. But ther is a new trend in making Kabinett drier and therefore with more alcohol. Julians Kabintett is a good example. Even the year over year champoin, Egon Müller’s Auction-Kabinettt, became drier in the last 5 years and has around 9 % alcohol.
2017 was a great vintage for Kabinett in that region, so almost everything is good. Kabinett 2017 from Peter Lauer, Weiser-Künstler, Fritz Haag, Schloss Lieser, Willi Schäfer, JJ Prüm, Max. Ferd. Richter, Grünhaus, and many more are great. I would chose according to preferred style.

tiny Schubertslay btw Weinlagen

Good lineup of recommended classical Kabinetten producers- would also add Willi Schaefer to the list. Julian Haart is passionate about old school, light as a feather Kabinetten and has some stellar ones coming in 2018 as well. Klaus-Peter Keller also makes utterly traditional Kabinetten and his are some of the lightest one can find, particularly from his Nierstein vineyard parcels. There will likely be an upsurge in more old school Kabinetten in the future as well, as one needs to look for the cooler, side valleys to target Kabinett level sugars and more of these vineyards are being reclaimed specifically for this Pradikat level. Weiser-Kunstler has been a leader in this regard and they are doing a marvelous job. Also, when looking for old school Kabinett, keep in mind von Kesseltstatt in the Ruwer- they continue to really champion the light as a feather style of Kabinetten and their fine wines travel below the radar these days.

Light, fresh, easy to drink, lower alcohol Kabinett…Merkelbach!

Yes John, I only exlcuded Keller as the focus was on the Mosel (though he now makes two!). Also my list wasn’t meant to be comprehensive.

What makes this wine so sought after? There are a lot of very fine Mosel Kabinetts out there. Is it just the Keller connection? Someone enlighten me.

Nothing beats Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Alte Reben Kabinett or the ordinary one
Regarding elegance and purity
IMO

Interesting, will put it on the list, it seems to be a 50km drive only.

It’s not the Keller link. It’s an amazing site, but owned (or under very long lease) by the Gymnasium who make quite average wines. The lease that Haart had on around 1/3rd only went to Keller in 2017.

The Schubertslay is owned by the Vereinigte Hospitien. A large part of this steep, terraced site was leased to Julian Haart and now Keller. The Friedrich-Wilhelm-Gymnasium, where Karl Marx went to school, is a part of the Bischöfliche Weingüter Trier since 2004. Its main holdings are in Graacher Himmelreich and Falkensteiner Hofberg.

Yep. Misspoke.

My notes show the Hospitien has 2000sqm out of around 7000 sqm total. Also that their wine isn’t very interesting.