TN: 1996 Poderi Colla Barbaresco Roncaglie (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco)

1996 Poderi Colla Barbaresco Roncaglie - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (3/30/2019)
Finally developing near 23 years past the vintage, this is still marked by very high acidity, but it at least now has some pretty aromatics. It definitely needs food to soften its stern personality. I would drink soon, lest the remaining fruit dry out, leaving a very harsh shell.

Posted from CellarTracker

I don’t think I’ve ever had any of their wines. I see from the website that they’re fairly traditional these days – 14-21-day fermentations and aging in botte. But I vaguely had the impression that they were modern back in the day. And Beppe Colla, father of one Colla here and nephew of the other, owns Prunotto, which was definitely in the modern camp.

By the way, I sure hope the fruit in the 96s outlives the acid and tannin. They always seemed to be cut from the same cloth as the '96 red Burgundies. Having tasted the '96s young in both areas, I was very hopeful then. But I haven’t had the nerve to open many yet. Too many reports of backward, unsatisfying wines. (We need a fingers crossed emoji.)

Had this wine a couple of years ago and it was singing. Sweet fruited, nicely mature. A real treat. No great wines, only great bottles…

This rather tortures the truth, and is unfortunate to read, by which I mean verging on disrespectful, so close to Beppe Colla’s death.

Hi Levi
I’m sure that wasn’t at all John’s intention, so would you be able to find some time to explain the ownership changes that happened a while back at Prunotto (Antinori ownership IIRC) and how Poderi Colla then emerged, that would be good.
Regards
Ian

Totally unnecessary comment. Colla bought Prunotto in 1956, sold it to Antinori in 1990. Founded Poderi Colla in 1994 along with brother Tino and daughter Federica

Thanks Tom

Having sold Poderi Colla back when Empson had them, I have always seen them as very traditional stylistically. Wines are always red fruited, and have ample tannin and acid, and to David’s point, most years remind me structurally of 1996 in Corton having strong mineral notes, even years like 1997 at Poderi Colla were like that and across a decade from 1995 -2004 vintages selling them.