TN: 1989 Catherine et Pierre Breton Bourgueil Les Perrières

• 1989 Catherine et Pierre Breton Bourgueil Les Perrières - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Bourgueil (3/30/2019)
    Popped and poured to accompany grilled lamb. Dark garnet. Nose of green leaf, damp soil, dark plum, hyacinth. Dense layers of black plum, blackberry, dark green pepper, tobacco, and earth on the palate early on. Kicked into another gear after 90 minutes with more concentration and sweet grip. Lovely acidity and dusty tannin leading to a longer finish of blackberrky, sweet plum, and earth. Very much alive and requiring significant air time to blossom. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Had this last month and thought it was outstanding and still tasting very youthful. But was outclassed by a 2010 Breton Franc de Pied, which was bonkers.

Scott,

Good to know. Glad you thought it showed well too. Lots of life yet for sure.

Cheers,
Doug

Had the 2002 version of this tonight and after tracking it through the evening it is likely my #1 so far for 2019. Complete bottle of wine.

Nice note, Doug. I’ve had the late 80s and early 90s bottles from Raffault and Couly-Dutheil, but I have never had a Breton with any real age. This sounds really nice and it is doing just what you would want this point. Good to know it is still going strong.
Cheers.

Marc,

I have not had the pleasure of sampling the 2002. Will be on the lookout.

Dennis,

I recently came across a bunch of bottles of 1993 and this 1989 from Breton, and scarfed them up. So far they have been terrific. I’ve had a 1989 and 1990 from Raffault also, and all of these bottles have benefited from lots of air time. They have years to go at this level in my humble opinion.

Cheers,
Doug

Marc,
I have one bottle left of their 2002 Chinon Les Picasses with the label signed by Pierre that I’ve resisted opening. Based on your note on the Bourgueil, it could be time!
Thanks,
Peter

A 2002 Nuits d’Ivresse last year was sensational.