Good news! I was wrong again

Dumpster diving in the basement last night for a bottle of red wine that’s not something I sell (I get very very tired of drinking mostly stuff I sell, which is mostly what I have).

Found a bottle I forgot I had. Rushed it upstairs because I remember that it was fully mature last time I had it and might be fading.

Wrong!

Here’s the note from two years ago:

2003 Andrew Will Sheridan Vineyard

Healthy deep ruby color, looks younger than 14 years. Classic Cabernet aromas feature bright red currant, a hint of cedar and a hint of oak. The palate is fresh and lively, with strawberry notes joining the red and now black currant, some good minerality and bracing acidity. This is medium in body, secondary flavors are not particularly complex or subtle, but a good glass of nicely aged wine ready to drink. Despite the vivid acidity, I don’t think this will improve, as the fruit might begin to fade. Rated 89, drink up.

Here’s the note from last night:

Healthy deep ruby color, looks younger than 16 years. Classic Cabernet aromas feature bright red currant and a tiny hint of cedar, ripe and fully secondary, no noticeable oak. The palate remains fresh, but nicely polished, with a lot of subtlety and elegance. There is a seamlessness and harmony that simply wasn’t there two years ago. The finish doesn’t seem much longer, but the overall impression is far more refined. Rated 92. Drink up.

Dan Kravitz

Andrew Will wines age so well.

At least you still have your wit! [cheers.gif]

I kinda stopped buying Andrew Will when I moved from WA to CA, and I’ve only recently realized what a mistake that was…

The classic “drink and hold”!

Yeah I have some 1990s Andrew Wills that are drinking beautifully now.

I do have experiences like Dan’s – drinking a wine, thinking it is over the hill, then opening another bottle and thinking it is ready or even needs more time. Very humbling. And of course supports the cliche that there are only good and bad bottles after a certain amount of time has passed.

We still carry the Andrew Will wines. They don’t fly out of the store here in Napa but they’ve been winning at blind tastings, both newer and older vintages.

Huge fan of Andrew Will. Only wish I had the sense to age a few bottles.