'09 Canon or '09 Clos Dubreuil?

For the same price, which would you order at a restaurant, the 2009 Chateau Canon or the 2009 Clos Dubreuil? The Canon is probably a better overall wine, but likely needs another couple of years. The Dubreuil is probably of slightly lesser quality, but should be closer to its drinking window.

Both.

I like your style and enthusiasm, Victor.

Canon

I don;t have a ton of experience with Dubreuil but isn’t it a long term deal? I thought those took a while to come around. I’d go Canon probably

Least believable post of 2019

I served the 2009 Canon and 2009 Belair-Monange just this week! The general consensus was that both wines were very approachable. I would decant the Canon for a few hours- it really started to come alive in the glass after a good 30 mins. Enjoy!

LOL. [thankyou.gif] [winner.gif]

Clos Dubreuil is a very modern styled wine, so it might be more aproachable now but you have to like the style …
otherwise go with the Canon.

Keep in mind, Victor views this as a rental.

Like any drink.

Shows you what I know!

To quote Jeff Leve, who knows very modern:

“Clos Dubreuil is a very opulent, modern, sexy style of Right Bank Bordeaux wine that drinks well young.” Jeff gave the 2009 a 94.

It’s that 15% abv Merlot “garagiste” stuff that intimidates Cali mertlots.

Not if Zach’s buying.

My vote is for Canon.

I haven’t tasted either of these recently but if you put any weight into the group of tasters/critics from the recent ‘10 years on’ tastings across the pond; then I would go with one of their standouts in the 2009 Canon.

Went with the '09 Canon. It was fantastic and is drinking really well.

Also had a bottle of '99 Chateau Montelena and a bottle of Beaujolais which we actually liked better than the Montelena.

2009 Château Canon St. Émilion Grand Cru Bordeaux
3/30/2019 - I like this wine: 94 points
Poured and decanted for about 45 minutes at a restaurant before dinner. Deep concentrated blue fruits. Long finish. Tannins really mellowed out as the wine evolved. I thought this wine drank beautifully, but will continue to get better with age.

1999 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon Napa
3/30/2019 - I wrote: 92 points
Decanted at a restaurant for about 30 minutes before beginning to drink. Very youthful, given the age. Floral, light and well rounded. Long finish that starts right in the middle of the young and lasts for a good 30 seconds. Overall, this wine was on the lighter bodied side, but drinking fantastic and well put together.

2015 Thibault Liger-Belair Moulin-à-Vent La Roche Gamay Beaujolais
3/30/2019 - I like this wine: 93 points
Musty, wet bar wood, meaty. Pairs really well with dry aged steaks.
P&P, no decant. Really a great wine and a fantastic price. Served at a dinner with 3 couples and this wine was a crowd pleaser, even though it was up against 2 other classics that had 10 and 20 years of age.