"Steak" wine for party around $30 bottle

Got a family reunion coming up next month and am responsible for buying about a half case of red wine for a steak dinner (ribeyes, skirt steaks). Budget is around $30 / bottle, any suggestions?

Stylistically, I really like Mount Eden cab, but that is over budget. I’ve also liked the '08 La Rioja Alta Vina Ardanza in the $30 range, just wish it had a bit less oak. Looking for good acidity, good fruit, and present but not harsh tannin. The every day drinking Italian sangiovese based wines in my cellar seem a bit rustic and/or devoid of fruit to be crowd pleasing.

Thanks all.

Bogle. Much cheaper but very drinkable, robust reds.

If you had posted earlier, two cases of this WineHunter Special were available: 1994 Benziger Red Wine, Cabernet Sauvignon | WineBid

This is an easy one. Contact Calluna Vineyards and pick up 6 bottles of the 2015 Calluna Vineyards Cuvée (CVC). The 2015 is the current release and is excellent. 51% Merlot, 19% Cabernet, 15% Cabernet Franc, 8% Malbec, 7% Petit Verdot. A Bordeaux blend that is perfect with a steak.

You may find it locally or through the web, if not contact Calluna directly.

Tom

should be lots of great Rioja even w a little age.

A couple easy to find, but young ones, if you like napa cabernet- 2016 Girard, Beringer KV, Mobdavi napa ( or the 2015). Have tried all, pretty good for the price and with steak, and for the unknowing.

North Coast Cab has been on a roll since 2011. Should be fairly easy to get a good cab from one of these good years for $30 or less. Took for entry level Cads from Sebastini, Louis Martini, Mondavi, Beringer or Kendall Jackson. Check out CT notes or critic reviews.

Good luck with the family reunion.

Lots of aged Australia reds in the marketplace, the aftermath of the Parker ooze-monster, feeding-frenzy, point-chasing bubble fifteen years ago.

https://www.winex.com/product/44328/Marquis_Philips_Cabernet_Sauvignon_S2_Mclaren_Vale_2002.html

A handful of ideas that come to mind that are readily available at retail:
Carpineto Vino Nobile Riserva 2013
Felsina Berardegna Chianti Classico Riserva 2015
Lopez de la Heredia Viña Cubillo 2009
Chateau Moulin de Tricot Haut Medoc 2014

Michael David Petite Petit and you get 2 bottles for $30

The Robert Mondavi Napa is under $20 a bottle in these parts (Costco) and is very, very good at the $30 threshold. Lots of estate fruit in the cuvee and possibly some declassified To-Kalon may have made it in.

Plus, wherever you find it, that outlet should have cases of it.

Schild Estate Cabernet Sauvignon (Australia). Outstanding QPR.

Beringer Knights Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is under $30 and good. Take a chance with some Sicilian Nero D’ Avola

Agreed. I have been buying these recently for around $30 each. Much better than the new vintages.

I’d just open 15 or 16 bastide miraflores and save $17/btl.

Based on your like of Mount Eden I’d say Freemark Abbey. It’s above $30 but occasionally I can find a sale and a coupon that will get me into the $30 range.

There is discussion in another thread but The Paring has been a great choice for us for larger dinners with beef. It’s right at $30 before tax.

Mount Veeder Winery cab, Daou cab, a cru bourgeois bordeaux.

My first thought too, but there is the oak situation. You should be able to get the entry Ridge Zin (3 valleys?) for that price and perhaps one of the single vineyard jobs for not much more. Should be a fan favorite at a fam dinner. I’d go for the rioja if it were up to me though

The Ridge Three Valleys is excellent QPR. Was a go to for football watch parties this fall.

Marietta, Arme-Cabernet Sauvignon blend.

A bold, pungent wine, the 2014 Armé offers a decidedly old school influenced profile of dark stone fruit, black olive, herb, tobacco and licorice. Cool and savory, but with considerable depth, the 2014 Armé is another knock out wine from Scot Bilbro. Generous dollops of Merlot, Petit Verdot and Malbec round out this dark, fleshy red. Readers looking for a value priced California Cabernet will flip out over this wine. This is a very serious wine for the money. Last tasted, 4/17. Rating, 92.

Antonio Galloni