PSA: Wally’s sale

Might be worth checking out; they are offering 94-96 Coche meursault for ~600 and seemingly well priced older DRC; no idea on provenance.

Which location is their main wine shop?

main store was on Westwood Blvd south of little Santa Monica.

Now closed after 50 years: Wally’s Closes Iconic Wine Shop in Westwood After 50 Year Run - Eater LA

A bit off topic, but since you bring up Wally’s, has anyone been to Wally’s Annual California All-Stars Grand Tasting? As someone that’s just starting to get serious about wine, I’m wondering if it’ll be worth my while and $85. It looks promising, but I’m wary of wine “fests” and such that favor fun atmosphere and/or accessibility over good wine. https://www.wallywine.com/wally-s-9th-annual-california-all-stars-grand-tasting-209946.html

The LA-area ones that I’ve been to that poured great wine were the various champagne fests (K&L, Wine House, and Wally’s all have their own versions), James Suckling Top 100 of Italy, and K&L Bordeaux tastings. All have had a mixture of people tasting more seriously and those just wanting to get hammered. I think it’s important to have fun regardless of your goals for the evening.

Haven’t been to this Wally’s one. The page you linked has a list of some of the wineries at the bottom. Seems like mostly large wineries. I’d probably pass, but doesn’t mean they won’t have good wine. It will have a convivial atmosphere though, consistent with the above events.

Their website is silent about the sale. I have had good luck in the past there. Did you get some special email? I’ll check my firewall.

Yeah pm me your email if you want me to forward the sale. There’s a bunch of bdx on it as well. Also a brace of 74 heitz marthas

A bit off topic, but since you bring up Wally’s, has anyone been to Wally’s Annual California All-Stars Grand Tasting? As someone that’s just starting to get serious about wine, I’m wondering if it’ll be worth my while and $85. It looks promising, but I’m wary of wine “fests” and such that favor fun atmosphere and/or accessibility over good wine. > https://www.wallywine.com/wally-s-9th-a > … 09946.html

These events are a bargain. You get to taste thousands of dollars of wine at one time and see what wineries styles you like. What amazes me in Minneapolis is a Rose Tasting for $65 sold out (300 people) in a week. I like Rose but after about ten in a row my palate would seek something else.

Yeah the best of those tastings is prob the champagne one at wine house; they had everything including salon, Cristal, dom, krug, vc gd, etc. I was chilling with jim knight and drinking 09 dom and 164 etc the whole afternoon, fun times.

Thanks guys! I think my wife and I will get tickets to that Wally’s CA wine tasting. We’re very new wine enthusiasts, so I think it’ll be a great way to taste and learn about a lot of quality wine.

That Champagne tasting sounds ridiculous! I’m definitely going to keep an eye out for that.

I think we’re also going to plan a Sunday at Wally’s, though I can see that being dangerous…

How does one get a link to the sale :slight_smile:

Maybe someone can forward it to you; I sent it to like 15 ppl already so kinda sick of it, sorry.

A word of Caution regarding Wally’s.
I have ordered there many times with no issues. For Presidents day sale they had '16 Realm Bard listed for $135. When I received order confirmation it was for $150/bottle. I e-mailed immediately and stated do not ship the wine if that is actually the price.

They mailed the wine, charged me $150 Per. Have not returned multiple attempts to contact, VM to CS, e-mail etc. I’m now working on dispute with Credit Card Company.

Just an FYI for the board.

Marisa.Zamora@wallywine.com

Thanks! Just e-mailed her the various correspondence

Be sure to invite me when you drink the Coche.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am definitely interested in attending as well. I reached out to some of my friends that attended last year and they mentioned that overall, they felt the lines at the various wine booths to be manageable. However, the food line was terrible so they recommended that I make sure to eat beforehand.

Thank you! I appreciate that input. I noticed that the event isn’t very long, so I was wondering about the lines as well. I’ll probably go and post what I thought about the experience on here afterwards in case others think about going in the future.

Mich@el - Thanks for Marisa’s info! She credited my account today.

Good, glad you got it sorted out.