Joseph Colin

Anyone try these yet?

being touted as the second coming after Colin-Morey. Sort of like Laurent Roumier after Christophe’s wines became too expensive. I didn’t bite.

I reviewed the 2017s in The Wine Advocate at the beginning of this year. Joseph has his own style and it’s quite unlike PYC’s - he’s picking riper grapes and working with no SO2 until just before bottling. He has the technical experience to pull it off after many years at Domaine Marc Colin. The wines are precise but expressive, and the low total SO2 seems to make them quite open and immediate. Definitely worth trying, if only to see if you like the style.

How are these wines different from the wines of Marc Colin? Is there still a Marc Colin label going forward if Joseph Colin is off on his own or is he now making wine from his own label and that of his father. Or, is Marc Colin making the wine again?

why in a premox era would anyone making white Burgundy work with lower SO2? Confounds me.

Is he doing the farming or buying grapes/must/wine?

TIA.

Damien Colin will continue making the Marc Colin wines, as he and Joseph did together since the departure of Pierre-Yves. They have lost a few parcels in the split but it’s still a enviable range.

Is there any evidence that SO2 has anything to do with premox?

Farming and some purchased grapes.

It’s his choice, not mine, so I can only relay what he told me. But he is adding SO2 before bottling, just not at the press or during élevage. Assuming he has clean fruit and a cold cellar (which he assured me he does) it is not necessarily problematic. He did trials when he was at Marc Colin so feels confident vinifying this way.

While I am all in favor of judicious SO2 usage, I think there is much more to premox than SO2 levels, though I know there are some who disagree with that view.

William,

Do you know what his pre-bottling regimen is?

A little thread drift to the usual topic. I’ve been very curious the last couple years whether browning the must and related practices help shield the wines from premox. The “gentle” touch seems to have failed but I know that also may be a generalization.

We often catalog the producers who seem to have had fewer issues with premox, like Raveneau and (J-M) Coche, but has anyone cataloged systematically practices (to the extent known) that are better than others or is it too ephemeral year-to-year or too difficult a task given, e.g., you can only get certain info from the winemakers? (This assumes cork is only part of the problem.)

There is still so much handwaving after all of these years. It would be such a shame if the 2014s, in particular, succumb.

Don Cornwell is an expert and I am not, so he should opine—but I think low SO2 levels are a significant factor, that combined w faulty corks, pressing too gently and too much battonage. Certainly sulfur is an anti-oxidant and somewhat protective once wine is in the bottle.

I have so far only tasted the 2017 Domaine Joseph Colin Saint-Aubin 1er Cru ‘En Remilly’ (90 Vinous Neil Martin) and 2017 Domaine Joseph Colin Saint-Aubin 1er Cru ‘La Chatenière’ (92 Vinous Neil Martin) and found them both to be very good! The La Chatenière is the better wine today, the En Remilly perhaps if it picks up some weight in the future…They both seem richer than PYCM?

I am buying the St Aubins from 2017. Hopefully they will be fun.