2013 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Pajé

It seems like there hasn’t been much Produttori discussion lately, and with the 2014s starting to hit shelves I thought I’d pop one of these to see how it was doing. Interested in impressions of other '13s and '14s, to the extent any of the latter have been tasted.

• 2013 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Pajé - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (3/27/2019)
    Absolutely stunning. I couldn’t believe not only how good this was but how well it was drinking. Translucent, bright red color, full of piercing red fruits, crushed rocks and minerals. Goes down so easy now, not in a fruity or simple sense, but in the sense that the tannins are so polished and refined you hardly notice them. Leaves a weightless impression in the mouth. This is the real deal. (96 pts.)
    Posted from CellarTracker

I appreciate your sacrifice. although, it sounds like it wasn’t too terrible for you either!

The Rabaja I had months ago seemed like it was going to need years…nice to hear you hit this in a good spot!

Glad to hear you had a good experience, David. Mine is the note before yours on CT and I’m curious to know if you just popped and poured it or not. My experience was entirely different from yours. It was an unforgiving beast of a wine when I drank it but you could absolutely tell it has the bones to go the long distance.

Some people have the palate of a snowflake, others can take a little tannin and tar [wink.gif] Really sounds like a great wine for the future, thanks for the notes!

Hi Elliot, I popped and poured. In my experience with young nebb, that’s my preferred way to go. Surprisingly, though, I expected it to tighten up considerably on night two, but it showed pretty much the same as the first night.

That explains my preferences as a vinous necrophiliac. Call me snowflake and pass the bottle of perfectly integrated '64, please [snort.gif]

I think all that aeration shut yours down hard. I’ve seen it happen many times with young Nebbiolo. Air tends to be their enemy, not their friend. 12 hours in a decanter probably aerated it more than David’s overnight in the bottle.

I would open a bottle, but I was only allocated 2 bottles of Pajé.

same. gonna wait on my first one until its at least 10-15years old I think

Same for the Paje. I have almost a case of assorted 2011 and 2013 Produttori Riservas in the cellar, but I haven’t popped one for fear of brutal tannins. Now that i read this note I’m sorely tempted though…

Open a 2011. If any vintage from the Produttori can be considered lush, it’s 2011.

I got 3 at retail for $56 per. Decent deal I do believe.

Although I got two bottles of Rabaja, I was only allocated with one each of Asili, Paje, Ovello and Montefico. All cost me 100 Cdn each :weary: I don’t plan to open any of these until 2025​:grin:

I opened a Paje 2011 last month, and wished I hadn’t. Even though I decanted four hours ahead, it was far too young for my necrophile taste, and not yet showing its future promise. Sigh! maybe I should have popped and poured…

I popped and poured the 2011 Asili, and had a very enjoyable experience.

I see a pattern emerging here: do not decant these wines (at least when young). The pop-and-pour crowd seems to have had much better experiences.

As an aside, it sounds like hell to sell these wines. All priced the same but demand heavily weighted towards a few of them. Highly inefficient.

Yes. The part I bolded should probably read “Because” instead of “Even though”.

I just had a glass of the 2013 Ovella today and it was also really singing. Having tasted around Piemonte the last few days, 2013 is a fantastic vintage.