TN: 2016 Maybach Materium

Maybach arrived today so I figured why not open a split (coincidentally I ordered a case of splits so I was ok with the Pobega sacrifice [snort.gif] )

On PnP it’s a little floral but mostly dark chocolate and dark berry pie on the nose. Like going to a patisserie with a bouquet of roses in your hands and shoving your nose inside the display glass. Silky smooth on the palate and huge waves of flavors that match the nose. Super long finish and that hint of RS that I associate with some TRB wines. This is an unabashedly rich and indulgent wine which I love it for.

Don’t be afraid to open one now but I trust that it will improve with some more time in bottle.

Cheers! [cheers.gif]
IMG_4099.jpg

This is a great note. Especially fond of this:

Like going to a patisserie with a bouquet of roses in your hands and shoving your nose inside the display glass.

I have a couple bottles coming, so it’s good to know about. What is RS?

Haha thanks Glen, I tried on that one.

RS = residual sugar

Also enjoyed that note

RS? Isn’t that a bad thing?

no it’s expected with Maybach… :wink:
[smileyvault-ban.gif]

Pretty awesome note! Thanks for taking one for the team.

Nice note Jake. Mine get delivered today, will be hard to keep my hands off.

Do any of you have a phone # for the winery ?

I don’t have a phone number, but I’ve always found them very responsive to email.

By the way, great tasting note ! My wine is on the FedEx truck and I should get it in the next hour or so. I don’t think I’ll be pulling any corks soon, though.

Scott.
Thanks. Got one but, Fed Ex messed up delivery and I’m enroute back to the FED EX office for the remainder of the order.

The RS comment would concern those that are looking for more of an ‘old world’ style bordeaux wine, but not those that are familiar with TRB and his winemaking style - across all varieties and brands from what I’ve experienced thus far. Not a bad thing at all - just not for everyone . . .

Cheers.

Does RS taste something like maple? That’s been part of the TRB profile for me at least.

Nice note, thanks for sharing.

Mine arrive shortly, and I will keep a split or two in the wine fridge at home for drinking over the next couple weeks. The rest are going into the back of the offsite for some ZZZ’s…

RS in California wines tastes like 2,000 pounds of grapes crushed and pressed then boiled down and reduced by 90% to a boysenberry syrup like sludge and blended into the wine. RS tastes like IHOP berry syrup to me…

Got my order today as well. Will probably pop one open to share at a tasting in a few months when I’m up in Napa.