Oily substance on top of wine?

I opened a 2016 Vini Rabasco Vino Rosato La Salita and noticed little globs floating on top. As the wine sat for a couple of minutes a noticeable pool of an oily substance was sitting on top of the wine. Has anyone ever experienced this before or have an idea of what it might be? Apologies for the not so great photo. Proved harder to capture than anticipated.
IMG_20190326_173316_067.jpg

Worm fat. MOG.

Old wino’s tale was that in Spain they used a thin oil layer to reduce wine oxidation, then a touch would show up in bottles and be notable in your glass. Not sure if this is true, or apocryphal and how that would or would not relate to Italian wine.

Someone else once told me it was a small byproduct of malolactic fermentation.

Someone else blamed dish soap residue.

I am looking forward to the real answers!

You may have bigger problems than oil . . . there appears to be some kind of ghostly creature relaxing in your wine with its elbow propped up.
reflection (3).jpg

[rofl.gif]

Thank you for your input Anton. I originally thought it could have been residual soap as well. Rinsed out a new glass and it still showed up…
This wine did undergo malolactic in bottle so that seems like a real possibility. If anyone is curious, the wine didn’t show any off aromas.

Italian ?
Must be EVO ! [snort.gif]

Not EVOO?

Malo smegmatic fermentation?

Thanks, Anton. For a moment, I thought we lost you…

My kids would happily spend an hour glued to the TV watching a show about this apparition.

Maybe ropiness?

Good one. I usually think of off flavors or aromas with that, but I bet it could be possible at low level and not be as off putting.

[wow.gif] [foilhat.gif]

It might just be this guy.
FE5EB7D9-DE0D-4BA9-BB68-14E0B6B2EBEE.jpeg

Watching.

While an infrequent occurrence, I’ve had many bottles like this. But I have no idea what it is.

It’s the residue of Parkerization.

[rofl.gif]

I was going to ask if they’d gone back to using pine tar as a preservative, but this is soooo much better!

They’re not “globs” of “oily substance.” They’re “gobs” of “hedonistic fruit.”

Glyphosphate sticking to the barrels?

The team at Cayuse totally scrapped the better part of the 2016 (or '15?) vintage because they had a bad batch of corks that left an oily substance in the wines. Could this be the same thing?