2017 Riesling Großes Gewächs

My favorite Top 5 Großes Gewächs at this tasting showing; dried flowers, peach, smokiness, stunning elegance, great finesse, intense mineral, lifting acidity, super-long, clean and youthful!!

1 - 2017 Dönnhoff Hermannshohle Riesling Großes Gewächs
2 - 2017 Schäfer-Fröhlich Bockenauer Felseneck Riesling Großes Gewächs
3 - 2017 Schäfer-Fröhlich Bockenauer Stromberg Riesling Großes Gewächs
4 - 2017 Dönnhoff Felsenberg Riesling Felsentürmchen Großes Gewächs
5 - 2017 Weingut Keller Hubacker Riesling Großes Gewächs

Wait…what…Keller was beaten? This is not possible. :wink:

Thanks Barry
i think this is a ranking we can agree on. All great wines. Keller Kirchspiel belongs there too though

deadhorse deadhorse deadhorse

Cmon David…
It happens in many vintages.

Barry,

Thank you for sharing this. While I’ve never cared for the Schäfer-Fröhlich GG’s I think it’s awesome to get to taste such a wide range for a vintage. I’m not surprised to see Dönnhoff in the top either…I’ve loved almost all the GG’s I’ve had from them.

Forgot to mention all wines tasted blind in seven flights!

Great tasting. Thanks for the top 5. Having had the 17 Keller Kirchspiel 3x now I am also surprised it is not in the top 5.

Don’t see it in the picture…

I am not surprised about the performance of Hermannshöhle, its a brilliant GG in 2017. Here my impressions from october:

Gin Gin
Martin

may be it’s because taste differs, points are subjective and blind tastings tell the truth ?

[wink.gif]

Was it part of the tasting at all?

How does their '16 compare to their '17? Is it worth paying $25usd more for the '17?
[thankyou.gif]

2016 is also great. BUT 2017 Hermannshöhle GG is for me another level. Here some notes from Stuart Pigott/James Suckling and Stephan Reinhardt/WA regarding 2016:

“The 2016 Hermannshöhle GG from Dönnhoff is once again one of the top dry rieslings of the vintage in Germany thanks to its stunning combination of concentration and finesse. The super-mineral finish tugs at your lapels trying to pull you with it into the distance. Don’t resist! Good for several decades at least.” 97/100

“From weathered gray carbon slate, the 2016 Nahe Riesling Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle “GG” is excitingly pure, coolish, fresh and crystalline on the nose, where flinty scents are displayed and intermix with ripe, precise and subtle fruit aromas. This is an aristocrat! Full-bodied, intense and lush on the palate, this is a highly elegant Riesling with very fine crystalline acidity and lingering piquancy. Dense and aromatic on the aftertaste but far too young to be enjoyed today, keep it at least for another 5 years.” 96/100

The higher price for 2017 is certainly also related to the smaller production in 2017. 2017 is the better vintage in general. Even according to the winemaker Tim Fröhlich the best vintage ever at the estate Schäfer-Fröhlich.

Bottom-line, its totally worth paying the $25 more for the '17.

Cheers,
Martin

Hi Robert, there was no Keller Kirchspiel in this tasting but a very good Wittmann Kirchspiel !

All the wines tasted listed in no particular order,

2017 A. Christmann Konigsbacher Idig Riesling Großes Gewächs
2017 Wittmann Westhofener Kirchspiel Riesling Großes Gewächs
2017 Weingut Robert Weil Kiedricher Gräfenberg Riesling Großes Gewächs
2015 Weingut Schätzel Niersteiner Pettenthal Riesling GG
2017 Kühling-Gillot Niersteiner Pettenthal Riesling Großes Gewächs
2017 Kühling-Gillot Niersteiner Hipping Riesling Großes Gewächs
2017 Sankt Antony Niersteiner Hipping Riesling Großes Gewächs
2017 Zilliken (Forstmeister Geltz) Saarburger Rausch Riesling Großes Gewächs
2017 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Großes Gewächs
2017 Kühling-Gillot Niersteiner Ölberg Riesling Großes Gewächs
2017 Weingut Schätzel Niersteiner Ölberg Riesling GG
2017 Schloss Lieser Niederberg Helden Riesling Großes Gewächs
2017 Schloss Lieser Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Großes Gewächs
2017 Schloss Lieser Bernkasteler Doctor Riesling Großes Gewächs
2017 Schloss Lieser Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Riesling Großes Gewächs
2017 Philipp Kuhn Saumagen Riesling Großes Gewächs
2017 Reichsrat Von Buhl Forster Ungeheuer Riesling Großes Gewächs
2017 Horst Sauer Escherndorf Am Lumpen 1655 Riesling Großes Gewächs

You dont list any kellers there whereas you had one in 5th place in your first post?

Imagine that’s the list of the others not mentioned above…

How did the zilliken fare? I enjoyed the 16 a lot

how did everyone like the schloss lieser wines, esp. goldtröpfchen und niederberg helden ?

thanx !

The second list are all other wines tasted besides the top 5!