More reasons to hate FedEx

Turns out FedEx now only allows some packages to be held at a local Walgreens. I was speaking with a “lack of customer service” representative, and she informed me that some of my shipments are not eligible for hold at location. I asked how FedEx determines that. Her response was “I can’t tell you that.” I asked if that was because she did not know, or if she was prohibited from telling me, and she said she was not allowed to tell me how they determine it.

My only option is to stay home for their delivery. Even after three missed attempts I cannot have it held. It will be automatically shipped back to the winery.

I had a prior package with this issue, and the winery was able to redirect the delivery (thank you Carole Meredith!), but this is completely freaking ridiculous.

Interesting. I just called UPS to have my SQN package rerouted to the UPS Store a few minutes from my house for the delivery tomorrow and I was told since it needs an adult signature that it can only be delivered to my house or I can have it held at the distribution warehouse. Not sure why the UPS store cannot take my signature the same as the driver does.

Perhaps it’s not them? [wink.gif] neener

I am lucky to work 1 mile from the UPS distribution center.

Fedex wine shipments can be redirected to Fedex Office locations ; UPS wine shipments cannot be redirected to UPS stores but can be to UPS distribution centers .

That’s what I think/recall.

Last time they told me it was a size issue, all other packages can be rerouted to a fedex office.

You should be able to redirect to a FedEx office store . Can be done online rather easily -you might have to sign up for some free FedEx online service

Nope. That is also not allowed.

And it’s only a 6 bottle shipper.

It’s FedEx bullshit. Nothing more.

You tried ? That’s odd. What does the screen say when you try to do it?

The screen gives no redirect options, even when logged in through my FedEx account. That’s why I called them, and how I got their bullshit answers.

My FedEx is great (FedEs store across the street from us in SC).
UPS not so much.

I have culled wineries who choose UPS as their only shipping option.

Weird, sucks .

For a long time I had culled FedEx. Then they added the Walgreens option, so I brought them back.

They are about to get culled again.

This has been my exact experience. I actually prefer FedEx because of this but I have a FedEx store very close to me, which makes it convenient. In fact, with the BD10 shipments stating to arrive I diverted two to the FedEx store last week and two more just this week. There’s also a UPS store close to me but they will not accept wine shipments. I have to hold those at the UPS distribution center.

This was my first big year of purchases between mailing list allocations and BD purchases and I found this to be true. Was able to redirect all of my FedEx shipments to the local Walgreens FedEx onsite. For UPS shipments I had to contact the winery and have them redirect to to my office. Will have to figure out a new plan for next year as the mail room wasn’t very happy [oops.gif]

Any idea how far is the UPS distribution center for you ?

I know have all my fedex shipments pre-directed to Walgreens. I do not bother with re-directing because I know I will not be home and, the re-direction results in additional time churn in the system. Up to and including case boxes I have sent to Walgreens. It is great. They even took a couple UPS wine shipments for me. I try to use fedex as much as possible, the local UPS dist. Center is 30 min away and inept.

10 + miles in the wrong direction, but need to see if my office is serviced by a different UPS center that is closer/enroute.

I think it depends on where you live. UPS is great here and FedEx, well, not so much. Though getting better. As I said before, I owned a grocery store that was open 7 days a week, with a receiving dock in back though they usually delivered to the office. Where there were 5-6 adults working at any given time 7 days a week. And time, after time the driver said we weren’t open. I called FedEx on this time and time again and they could not have cared any less.

JD

I agree UPS vs Fedex depends on where you live, but the policies are clear:

UPS - You must pay $5 to have the package held at the local distribution center. Otherwise, they will attempt delivery, and then after one failed attempt, you can ask for the package to be held for free. Not great since your wine is being jostled around/put at additional risk since it’s on the truck. Packages containing alcohol are not eligible for delivery at their partner locations.
Fedex - Redirect to their partners (Walgreens, local stores, etc.) for free. However, this is not guaranteed. They’ve flagged alcoholic packages in the past, and often time partners are full and they will redirect (with zero notice) to their local distribution center.

Neither are perfect, but I prefer Fedex. However, I’m still waiting for them to reimburse me $20 in Uber fees when they accepted a hold at Walgreens that’s half a block from my dwelling, and then shipped to the local DC instead that’s over a mile away.