TN: Neyers '14 "Evangelho Vineyard" Carignan

TN for Neyers 2014 Carignan “Evangelho Vineyard” Contra Costa County

March 13, 2019: Opened one night before tasting. I found the '14 Neyers Carignan(e) to be significantly richer and more concentrated than the Contra Costa Mourvèdre wine I had alongside it. The nose shows muddled, brambly, dark berries (blackberries, Bing cherries), exotic sandalwood notes, and a tinge of alcohol.

The palate largely echoes the aromas. Distinguishing the individual flavor components can be a challenge, and the overall profile seems more in-line with a Zinfandel. The acidity is surprisingly low for a Carignan, the alcohol a little intrusive.

Perhaps more time will provide this bottling with a better opportunity for the disparate elements to harmonize. Neyers is a highly respected winery. In this instance, my expectations were not met. I have been pleased with the “Sage Canyon” blend in the past, but this single-vineyard Carignan falls short of the target.

Neyers Vineyards website:

Hey Drew, thanks for the note even though it doesn’t sound like it was in your wheelhouse. Back in the 90’s we enjoyed vintages of Neyers syrah but its been a long time since consuming any Neyers wine.

Tom

I find this variety really interesting to work with And sometimes difficult to explain. I’m not sure what folks expectations are when they tried these wines.

I am currently pouring my 2016 in my tasting room and it’s fascinating to hear what people have to say about it. One of the comments I get again and again is it unlike any wine that they’ve ever had. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I also personally think at this is a variety that shows its true self at a little less riper levels. I think the riper that it’s picked, the more generic it becomes.

But heck, what do I know?

Well, Tom…back in those days, the Neyers Cuvée Honneur was one of Calif’s great Syrahs. Not made anymore. Now Neyers is owned by Trinchero. But Thad is still winemaker and the wines still solid.
Tom

Almost everything I have read about Neyers has been positive. I generally enjoy the stuff from them (Mourvèdre, “Sage Canyon”). The thing about this Carignan is that the closest thing to its flavor profile has been a Cline CellarsAncient Vines” Carignan at ~1/2 price.