Too Many Wooden Boxes?

A current thread on wooden boxes prompted me to ask. Are you getting too many? I love them but it seems like my buying is producing a lot more than I used to get. It’s to the point where I just have no more room to stack them in my wine room. Is there a market for the empties? They are so cool that I just hate to use them for kindling. I have repurposed a lot of them for storage because when you take out the insides they will hold twice as many bottles.

I refuse the wooden boxes since I dont make use of them and it does decrease the cost of shipping.

I have seen people on ebay selling them but I do not know if there are buyers.

[soap.gif] Similar threads pop up on this topic from time to time, and I always add my 2 cents.

Wood can look pretty. At the end of the day, most people take the bottles out of the wood to rack the bottles so the wood essentially gets discarded.

Wineries can spend a lot on the cost of wood. Some more than others, like hundred acre and Fairchild stones. That cost is imbedded in the cost of the wine itself.

Given the arms race when it comes to pricing on the higher end scale in CA wines, I would much rather have the choice of buying the wine for slightly less per bottle and not getting wood, and saving on shipping, as opposed being forced to buy the wine in the wood and having to pay to ship it all.

We are all big girls and boys, and I do applaud wineries that at least give you the choice of buying the wood, even though they still charge you the same bottle price.

I get that some winemakers consider their presentation an art form, but let us consumers at least have the choice of whether to buy wine, or art. I think if more wineries started this practice, they might be surprised at how many people chose to pass on the wood and pay slightly less per bottle.

Go on Etsy - look for shops repurposing them (dog bowl holders are popular) and potentially offer them to them for sale.

Yes there is a market. People use them for bars. I’m looking for a bunch of panels with the writing on them.

Have seen many Craiglist listings for boxes and the end-panels can be valuable. I still have a few feet before I hit the ceiling so not an issue…yest…

People have done some interesting things with them but really, they’re just packing and the wood is the cheapest quality available, stapled together. Few people would make them out of walnut, maple, or oak, so unless you want to use them for storage, flower pots, etc., you can probably give them away to people who would. I suppose you could panel a wall with them, although they’re all slightly different thicknesses so you’ll have uneven paneling, but that’s about all I would do - too much of that stuff starts being really kitchy, kind of like those ladies who want to be known as loving cats, dogs, flowers, etc., and consequently decorate their home with pictures, stuffed animals, embroidery, little statutes, etc. The male equivalent of a cat lady can be a wine guy. Be careful not to verge over into that territory. Think really hard about how many wine decorations you want in your home!

I’m selling the Eagles!!!