Anyone else unable to taste due to this lingering cold/flu thing?

I got walloped on February 18th and since then wine has had – mostly – a taste profile of thumbtacks stewed in varnish. The last week or so I’ve finally managed to taste, sorta, some white burgs and after some non-promising sips a red burg, but otherwise everything else I’ve tried – syrah and bordeaux blends mostly – doesn’t taste like wine right now. I just visited Silver Lake Wine to have them confirm that a 2016 Dame de Montrose that I opened tastes like, y’know, wine. Acupuncture and some herbs have made me feel like more of a human being, but I still have that metallic taste going on. Is anyone else going through this? If you’re on the other side of it, did you have any remedies? I know to hydrate and to stay away from various meds and let’s not even get into how I haven’t eaten a pine nut in six months.

I experienced the same thing several years ago, took several months to completely clear up but eventually reverted back to my normal taste and aroma senses.

It’s happened to me from time to time. This year I escaped it but normally it happens when I have a string of sinus infections back to back to back. I end up with muted taste and smell for a few months while things eventually clear up. I normally abstain from alcohol as it seems to make me feel more clogged up. The unintended consequence is that I reduce consumption for a bit and can bolster the cellar while not bleeding off bottles.

As a clarification, this is a once a few years thing when I just can’t kick a cold over the course of the winter. If it’s happening often you should go see a doctor about it, changes in taste and smell can signal much larger problems. Do you still feel sick and/or stuffy or are you back to 100% minus the taste thing?

One more thing, what do pine nuts have to do with anything???

TW

I’m pretty much 100% better except for the taste thing – which I believe is slowly improving (the last glass of wine only taste wrong, not evil).

As for pine nuts – this isn’t the ultimate link but it’s a good start: Pine Mouth Is a Real-Life Nightmare | Bon Appétit

Mine is more sinus issues. The blooms in Orlando, with spring here in full swing, is insane, pollen everywhere. I’m not normally effected by it, but it’s hit me hard. Nose and throat congested, voice is hoarse. Body feels good, but head is in a fog. May not help that I have cycled outside 5 out of the last 6 days, but oh well. Still drinking though . . .

All those with anosmia that is taking more than a few days to clear up should see their ENT, or get one if they don’t have one.

Sadly, after over a month of not being able to smell over the holidays, my ENT wife finally started listening to my complaints and scoped my nose to find it completely overtaken by polyps. That, plus a cold or sinus infection can lead to lingering inability to smell. Steroids help, but I’m headed towards surgery to clear it up within the next few months.

A few weeks back I was fighting a sinus infection, going into a dinner with friends. Thankfully made it through a flight of Salon ('95, '96, '99) before my nose completely shutdown for the red flight. Missed out on fully enjoying some great wines, but nothing I could do to clear it up. Fortunately it passed the next day before we started drinking again.