Breaking a fast with Krug

Twice n the last 3 years, I chose to abstain from alcohol/ wine for a brief period of time. The first time, it was for 2 months and most recently for 32 days. Each time, I broke the last with a bottle of Krug. After all, isn’t that the popular choice for all who choose to do a wine fast?

To build in a limited intake parameter, a half bottle size was selected. Both bottles performed beautifully as did the champagne glass and my rested and starved and now once revitalized palate.

NV KRUG GRANDE CUVEE 163eme EDITION- 375 ml; ID Code #114005 which translates into this having been made from 163 different wines over 12 different years spanning 1990-2007 and receiving its cork in the winter of 2013-14; 37% Pinot Noir, 33% Chardonnay, 31% Pinot Meunier; the nose was initially expressive of honeysuckle and peach nectar and the taste was an assortment of different flavors, each coming in separately and apart from the other; however, in time, everything came together for a group hug to offer savory aromas and tastes of honeyed lemon, peach, ginger, saline and white pepper and continued on with spicy golden delicious apple joining in; the overall flavors complimented the texture to emulate a lemon apple custard; after a few sips, my palate was bowing to the gifts of all of the treasures it just experienced.

From this point forward, I`m borrowing a part of an ole adage a dear friend used for his lovely Pinots which was “Pinot Noir isn’t just for breakfast anymore”. My spin is “champagne isn’t just for breaking a fast anymore”.

Cheers,
Blake
fullsizeoutput_22c4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_22c5.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_22c6.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_22c8.jpeg

After posting this, I checked my email and found a daily message that is so appropriate here:

“A single glass of champagne imparts a feeling of exhilaration. The nerves are braced; the imagination is stirred; the wits become more nimble. -Winston Churchill”

I love it.

I love Krug. Great post, although Churchill would not have approved of your bottle size: “A magnum is the perfect size for two to share … if one of them isn’t drinking”. Winston Churchill

Love this. Utterly love this.

I’ve been fortunate to drink some wonderful things in my life, but beyond that, many of my great wine bottles came after weeks (intentional or unintentional) of pause. Going fully nubile into a Krug is just a joy.

Thanks for posting, Blake.

Thanks Warren. I certainly appreciate so many of the fine quotes from Churchill as you’ll note, I`m using one of them.

I`ll be graduating into larger bottle formats in a week or so, in fact, next Wednesday when I’m hosting a dinner to honor many who supported Archie McLaren during his 30+ years of doing his Central Coast Wine Classic. We’re starting with a mag of Grande Cuvee Krug, but this will be shared and followed up with a 750 ml before moving into 8 superlative wines with dinner.

Wow Blake, that sounds fantastic. Enjoy, and post!!!

Here’s an old Churchill favorite: “A fanatic is someone who can’t change their mind and won’t change the subject.”
I’ve met too many of them!

Cheers,
Warren

Every time I read the title of this thread, I read “breakfasting with Krug.” Nothing better on a Sunday morning! Champagne in bed!

That should be another Churchill quote Merrill.