TN: 1982 Chateau la Dominique

This was a bottle I got from an auction site and opened for my wife’s birthday. We loved the barnyard, saddle leather, and tobacco nose. Soft, gentle acidity and a somewhat short finish. Really enjoyed the experience. Pictures and more details on my blog:

I had this about a half dozen times over the years for various occasions and always enjoyed it very much. Haven’t tried it in 5+ years now so I’m glad to hear an old friend is doing well.

La Dominique did really well then. 82, 85, 86, 89, 90 are all very good. I backfilled a few bottles of 86 a couple years ago and they seemed to be tailing off a bit, but that might be due to storage. My last bottle of 90 was really good, though not quite as good as the 82 and 89 in the same tasting. We had a pretty good 66 in that tasting as well.

Jay – I think there may be a couple bottles still available on winebid. There’s probably a better use for $100, but it was enjoyable. It was screaming barnyard. It really reminded me of horseback riding when I was a kid.

Screams the Alfert lexicon!

This winery killed it in the 1980s, from 82, to 86, and then 89. The maduro tobacco note is what’s memorable to me. Have not had any in a while. Need to backfill a couple.

What’s the winery style today? I no longer trust St Emilion [Region de Rolland] to buy blind.

Hi Robert – great question, and I don’t know. BUT since you asked, I will find a recentish bottle and try it out – after all, that is the motto of my blog “We experiment with vintage wine so you don’t have to” neener

Opened a bottle Monday night (along with same vintage of Figeac and Branaire Ducru). All were in a great place, with the La Dominique showing a moderate amount of Brett that I didn’t view as a problem at all. If this type of wine is your preference, I think it is a superb QPR at around the $100 range which I believe is roughly what I paid at auction. I think I have four left, with no rush to drink!

Looks like Jean-Luc Thunevin came aboard in 2007, per Leve’s website. I’ll take a pass on new vintages.

1982 Château La Dominique - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (10/17/2011)
From Magnum. Very earthy, gravel and plum nose. Some nutmeg or cinnamon as well. Nice plum flavours, some sweetness. This lasted for the whole evening in the glass, never collapsed or faded.

An atypical 1982 in my opinion although there was a hint of sweetness. (91 pts.)

Nice David! Would love to get my hands on a magnum.