Birth year wine

My son was born in 2017 and I’d like to get some wine from this vintage to save for (much) later in his life. I’m inclined to go with California cabernet, although there are obviously some nuances to 2017 to be aware of.

How have others done this? A few magnums? A mixed case or two of favorites from various wineries? Any input would be appreciated.

Numerous threads on this, but if your dead set on California I’d choose producers carefully, Dunn, Ridge, Togni ect. I don’t think it’s yet been sorted out who was affected by the fires either.

I think this whole process is really done for the parents in actuality. Not too many 21 year olds are going to care about some vanity cult cab producer from 2017 which may or may not even be around in 2040. I think something like a case of 2017 Prestige champagne to use at celebratory event would be the way I’d go.

I effectively bought mix cases – of WA and Bordeaux so far. But I like the idea of a magnum or two – they indicate something special, and of course may age longer! Congratulations by the way! Our daughter is 2 1/2 and likes to smell the wine and play with the corks.

Well said. Definitely more for the parents and a good reason to be thoughtful and selective on picking wines and brands that will survive the test of time. I like the Champagne idea.
champagne.gif

Based on what I’ve heard, and things could change, 2017 may not be a widely declared Champagne vintage. If it is, it may be slim pickings.

We stocked up on birth year wines.

My 21 year old is happy and excited and has served some at dinners he has made for friends. He is a budding wine lover.

Our 18 year old will be wait and see.

I am all in favor of pre-building a cellar for your kids! [cheers.gif]

I’ve gone with a mixture of CA and Bordeaux so far. Still considering on magnums, but likely to backfill something at some point in the future.

I second that this is definitely more for the parents than for the children. With that said, it is always nice to have an excuse to buy more wine haha. Just don’t be too disappointed if your kids dont show much appreciation in 21 years.

My father-in-law bought a bunch of birth year wines from 1990 for my wife. He bought mostly Bordeaux from all the top estates. Ironic thing is that my wife feels indifferent towards Bordeaux and will almost always prefer Burgundy instead.

I have “gone about this” by conducting business as normal, for the most part. I look at it this way: hardly a vintage goes by when I don’t buy wine that can take significant age. I don’t feel I need to make a point of buying birth year wines for my kids, as I believe it will happen naturally. Now, as the years roll by, I will be tighter-fisted with those bottles (2013 and 2015), but not to the point of never drinking them. I agree these purchases frequently end up being more for the parents than the kids (for various reasons). I’m also not willing to buy a wine solely for the sake of having a birth year wine — it has to be a good wine at a price that isn’t absurd. For example, my year is generally terrible, so I don’t bother chasing bottles from that vintage. Sadly, the same holds true for my son’s 2013 birth year.

I’ve been buying birth year wines for my wife and I as our parents weren’t into that practice. A good friend has a nice collection of birth year wines his father set aside. We share the same year so I enjoy getting to drink those with him.

After seeing his enjoyment I’ve started buying birth years for my sons. I’m doing a random selection of items. Their years are 2004, 2007 & 2010.

Tell her to fake it!

My grand-niece was born in 2017. So far, her cellar has 18 wines (Huet, J.J. Prum, Fritz Haag), all of which should last (at least) into her 20’s. No idea if she’ll like red wines; pretty hard not to like these wines.

Interesting. I feel like you have a ton of options in CA -
Cabs in particular.

Thanks for telling me, Rich. I pretty much ignore CA Cabs these days on account of QPR, but I am not opposed to buying some for this purpose. …
I should probably search for, or start, a thread re: good candidates 2013 birth year wines/regions.

I bought several cases of Bordeaux, a few bottles of GC Burg and some Monte Bello for the kids, birth years 2014 and 2016. Not sure what will really last. I have a good amount of other stuff from those years but I doubt much of it will mature gracefully. My other hope is that there will eventually be some 2014 and 2016 Musar and GR Rioja. 2016 should be good for Piemonte.

My approach has been to find a few prestige bottles with a long track record for aging. I am skeptical of most California wines in that regard

Don’t know if you’re into California wines, but 2013 was pretty spectacular. I believe the 2013 Seavey Cab, Ridge Monte Bello, Dunn Howell Mountain and Lagier Meredith Syrah will be drinking well when your son is 50. I don’t even think they’ll be approachable until your son is 21.

-af

My husband bought a 12 L of a solid 2009 Barolo for his son. It’s only recently that my stepson has gotten larger than it is. He likes to look at “his” bottle in the cellar, and has declared that he will have a big party when he is old enough. I tell him I’m more worried about the bottle ever being old enough.

2013 is good for Barolo and there’s some good value in burgundy there if you are selective.

I used my daughter as an excuse to overload on her birth year, 2016, which coincidentally is a sick year for red burg/northern rhone. I’m at 311 bottles and with quite a few releases still to come.

Cause I’m totally expecting her to love burgundy and N. Rhone. [snort.gif] [snort.gif] [snort.gif] [snort.gif] [snort.gif] [snort.gif]

Yeah I’ve loaded up on 15 and 18 will be a big
one too.