CellarTracker: Entering Cost of Wine Shipments

I’ve seen several threads on various cost of wine entry into CellarTracker. One I couldn’t find thru the search feature was how does everyone enter bottle price for the wine club shipments they receive?

For example, I’m receiving a shipment of Pax in the next few days/weeks. The cost was $234 for six bottles, but no breakdown on how much each bottle cost. Do you divide $234 by six? Do you go research the direct bottle cost and use that amount and hope it adds up to $234? Do you research bottle price and if it doesn’t add up so you use a pro-rata table you built in Excel (who would have such a thing?!?) to divide the discount up evenly between the bottles?

This is one of the questions for us OCD types.

If you mean that each bottle is different? I would enter in each individual bottles and enter in the cost as $234/6.

I enter the cost of each bottle, leaving out tax and shipping.

I d include tax and shipping-because that is what it cost me. IIRC, this has been discussed before and results are mixed.

Sorry i misunderstood the issue post deleted.

I confirm the price of each bottle with the winery if I can and I use that information. I do not include shipping or taxes.

Please see: Managing Purchases - CellarTracker Support

Judging by the answers so far, I think it is safe to say your question is confusing as written.

I am interpreting your question like this:
You bought 6 bottles of wine from Pax, but the 6 bottles are not the same. Maybe some syrah, maybe some gamay, whatever.
Pax sent you an invoice with one price: $234.
I am unclear whether that $234 included shipping or did not include shipping (or tax).
I will assume it did not.

Given that, I would go back to the website (or original email) to find the actual cost of the different types of wine. If it does not add up to $234, you either got a discount, or it includes shipping, or whatever. But, you should be able to figure it out.

I would then enter the actual cost of the bottle, less any discount (if any). I imagine most people would do that.
Personally, I would then add tax for each bottle, and 1/6th of the shipping cost cost. I do that because cost-to-my-door seems most important to me, but I know others have strong feelings to the contrary.

Assign a value to each of them that totals $234 that’s makes you feel the best about each one when you pop the cork. If your going to drink them all then to me this is the solution.

In my effort to be brief I was confusing. But, you pretty much nailed my question and what I currently do. I was just curious if anyone does it differently.

The $234 is the cost of the wine before S/H. Half cases to OK with ground are normally $30-40 depending on the winery.

I enter only the per bottle cost, no shipping. I know based on the vendor field approximately what the shipping uplift was (lower for West coast vendors, none from in town, etc) but don’t really need to log it as the cost later isn’t generally that important to me.

When buying direct, I include my cost with shipping, but no tax. My personal reasoning is that if I later find a bottle locally at retail, I want to know whether I paid more or less than retail including shipping. I may decide to drop a direct list if shipping is killing the value, and I can buy locally.

I’m in CA and rarely get shipments from other states, so I don’t include tax.

If CT ever published a universal standard, I would switch to that.

Any updates to whether you’ll add an ability to line item S/H and tax as mentioned in the linked FAQ?

That would be an awesome feature!

I had shipping into bottle cost. Like somebody mentioned above its good to include it when you compare cost to a local retailer down the line.

I always enter the price including shipping but without tax. I would find it annoying to calculate the tax on every bottle, so I simply choose not to do it. Very rarely do I find myself paying shipping on any of my purchases, so I am willing to do those manual calculations, as they are infrequent. Another motivating factor for me to include the cost of shipping is that some wineries include the cost of shipping in the bottle price, so for those bottles, I have to include the cost of shipping unless I arbitrarily reduce the cost by some speculative number, which I am not interested in doing. Therefore, to have consistent cost composition across all bottles, I also include the cost of shipping when it is a separate line item.

When shipping is a separate line item, I use the private purchase info field to enter the per bottle cost of shipping. I also use that field to make note of any transaction ID number, or receipt number when the purchase is a pre arrival.

I never include shipping, but always include tax, but virtually always round up or down to the nearest dollar.

Except when I do something different.

I do the same. For Berserker Day, e.g., I figure what the full price of each bottle is, add those up, and figure out the overall discount, applying it to each bottle. I think add an equal amount per bottle for shipping.

Not worth another debate on include shipping/taxes or not. As the CT FAQ’s note:

Are there any plans to add sub total lines in the wine cost area for shipping, tax and total cost?
This is on our to-do list. Meanwhile, users often ask whether their prices should include tax and shipping. This is an individual decision, but most users choose to enter their prices without tax and shipping.

+1

Cost plus tax. Sometimes shipping. All rounded to the nearest hundredth.