TN: 2017 Sandlands (red) Table Wine (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Contra Costa County)

2017 Sandlands Table Wine - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Contra Costa County (3/18/2019)
Popped and poured, dark purple/ruby. Forward nose of fresh cherries, raspberry leather, herbaceous accents and hints of vanilla spice. Medium-light body. Palate of vibrant red fruits, stone fruits and a distinct impression of chalky minerals. Fine-grained, chewy tannins are somewhat astringent on the deceptively lengthy close - perfectly structured to accompany a meal. Already delicious, should only smooth out with a bit of time in the cellar.

Reminiscent of every nameless, yet incredibly awesome Italian table wine you’ve ever enjoyed, this is excellent juice…easily the one of the most elegant reds I’ve ever had from Contra Costa, if not the most.

Thanks for taking one for the team! I just got my shipment and have one of these lined up to check in on as well. Now who is going to report on the Misson?

Shout out to Tegan. He gave me a call to clarify shipping…totally unexpected so I appreciate the customer service!

Cheers,
JP

My shipment will be picked up tomorrow. Going to give things ten days to settle down, then the Mission will be in the queue.

Drink 'em UP boys! Remember it’s your duty to be first!

The mafia has omerta.

We have Pobega!

Sounds tasty. Your descriptors make think it’s a blend of Rhone varieties, but your reference to Italian table wines makes me think I’m wrong. What’s in the blend?

65% Carignane and 35% Mataro

Sounds like Evangelho Vineyard blend perhaps? [dontknow.gif]

Thanks for the tasting note!! [cheers.gif]

I was very intrigued by the release of a Contra Costa red blend (at a very good price point, to boot) from Sandlands. I am probably going to hold onto my bottle for at least another six months or more before popping.

PnP #1 of 6 bottles the day after they hit the doorstep. The reward was instant only to get better the longer it was in the glass. We loved the balance between the freshness and the acidity. Of course that memory “forced” us to open another one 2 nights ago. I agree with a previous poster, maybe some Evangelho juice wound up here, but then again I’ll admit I’m biased being a huge fan of that vineyard (Thanks to MT-P)…

Each Mataro is exceptional as well, fyi…