Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 565
Joined: May 4th, 2014, 2:11 pm
Location: Seattle

Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#1 Post by Ron Slye » March 18th, 2019, 8:26 am

So I grew up with the idea that you should never put fine glassware in a dishwasher, and in fact not even use soap -- the idea being that even a small residual amount will affect a wine, its nose and taste.

Based upon a number of comments here and elsewhere, I have experimented with some of my nicer glasses in the dishwasher on the delicate setting. [I suspect part of the developments since I learned not to use a dishwasher is more sophisticated dishwashers with delicate settings.] I have put Riedel Sommelier and Grassl glasses in -- and of course I am now amazed about how clean they get. [Perhaps a comment on the quality of my hand washing....]

So the question is whether this is now pretty standard practice?

Second, and related, is it better to do this without soap at all? Or do some of you use a special soap just for wineglasses? Or is using regular dishwashing soap (in our case pods), fine?

User avatar
GregT
Posts: 7577
Joined: April 15th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#2 Post by GregT » March 18th, 2019, 8:42 am

I think it depends on your water. If you have really hard water, you get these mineral spots.

But really, I'm very skeptical that people can detect anything because of the way the glasses were washed, as long as all the soap is removed. People just aren't such amazing tasters. I use regular dish soap and rinse well. I don't use a dishwasher for anything, as I've never understood their utility, but the wine glasses get washed with the rest of the plates and spoons and they're just fine.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

YLee
Posts: 949
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#3 Post by YLee » March 18th, 2019, 8:51 am

At the recent UGC BDX event in NYC, every new glass I picked up smelled of soap. I had to rinse it out every time.

I use non-fragrant sensitive baby dish soap and wash by hand.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Sean Devaney
Posts: 3252
Joined: June 25th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#4 Post by Sean Devaney » March 18th, 2019, 9:06 am

My primary glasses are Riedel restaurant series syrah glasses that I will use the dishwasher for when I have company-no issues. I mostly hand wash my glasses with a dedicated sponge and Dawn. My higher end glasses are always hand washed.

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16325
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: Gotham

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#5 Post by John Morris » March 18th, 2019, 10:01 am

I put all my glasses except for some big, old Riedel Burgundy bowls (notoriously delicate) through the dishwasher. I'm a very careful handwasher, but the glasses come out much cleaner from the machine. I've never had a scent problem. Given the long rinse times on most machines now, I doubt that's much of a risk.

The only times I've broken glasses in the machine are when (a) I've been careless lifting them in and out or (b) I was learning my new machine and put glasses in in a way that they could flop around on the posts. For the most part, it's Spiegelau or other brands of 22 oz. Bordeaux glasses and some quite thin Crate & Barrel chianti/zinfandel glasses with fairly long stems.
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 565
Joined: May 4th, 2014, 2:11 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#6 Post by Ron Slye » March 18th, 2019, 10:32 am

Thanks for all of the useful replies. We have those smaller drawer dishwashers (two of them), so when I do use the dishwasher I only have wine glasses in.

John -- I in fact did just use it for the old Riedel Burgundy Sommelier glasses -- they came out perfectly. But they are so large that I can only put a few more glasses in with them for fear of them hitting each other. And yes, I have also thought I might break them putting them in or taking them out -- so far I have been careful enough!

User avatar
Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 847
Joined: August 21st, 2009, 8:27 am
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#7 Post by Michael O'Brien » March 18th, 2019, 12:04 pm

I have one of these: https://www.mieleusa.com/domestic/1690. ... 019062-ZST. The pH of our water is 6.0 so we are not dealing with hard/mineral laden water. Works beautifully.
PlanoWino

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16325
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: Gotham

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#8 Post by John Morris » March 18th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Ron Slye wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 10:32 am
Thanks for all of the useful replies. We have those smaller drawer dishwashers (two of them), so when I do use the dishwasher I only have wine glasses in.

John -- I in fact did just use it for the old Riedel Burgundy Sommelier glasses -- they came out perfectly. But they are so large that I can only put a few more glasses in with them for fear of them hitting each other. And yes, I have also thought I might break them putting them in or taking them out -- so far I have been careful enough!
Mine go back to the 90s (remarkably, I've never broken one), when I think they had more/some lead in them, so I'm afraid they might get etched by the dishwasher soap, which does that to high-lead glass. If yours are newer, that's probably not an issue.
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2418
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#9 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 18th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Jonathan likes to put our Riedels in the dishwasher, and he only breaks them, like John said, putting in or lifting out. They come out perfectly clean and without smell. Zaltos, GGGs or Lehmann handblown champagne stems are done by hand always. In practice, unless we are having a party with many glasses to wash, I usually wash everything by hand with mild soap and hot water. The few spots don't bother me.

User avatar
dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 592
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 11:51 am
Location: Anchorage, AK and Rockport, TX

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#10 Post by dsimmons » March 18th, 2019, 2:23 pm

I have always used the dishwasher. We do have good water here so I don't see any spotting. If you are careful loading you should not break glasses. Most spotted glasses we have had are when they were hand washed.
D o n

LarryA
Posts: 238
Joined: February 22nd, 2010, 11:32 am

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#11 Post by LarryA » March 18th, 2019, 3:03 pm

I use an approximately 50-year-old GE to wash any glass -- Riedel Vinum, Sommelier, anything except the Sommelier Bordeaux, whose stems are too long to fit with the upper rack in place. My experience is like John Morris's -- the only breakage occurs with careless handling by me, or during the drying process. I time the delicate wash cycle so that the glasses still have water on them; at that point I open the dishwasher and dry by hand. This eliminates any spotting from my water, which isn't super-hard but would still leave mineral deposits if I didn't dry them by hand.

I use a very small amount of Cascade powder, plus some Finish. There are sometimes lipstick marks on the rims (or other detritus), in which case I use steel wool on the rim, rinse, and dry by hand.

Good results over a 30-year time period, more than 1000 glasses per year. In another location (Santa Barbara), the water is super-hard and needs to be softened. The softened water leaves unacceptable spots on the glassware (not just wine glasses), so I wash all glasses by hand there.
Larry Archibald
Santa Fe, NM

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 565
Joined: May 4th, 2014, 2:11 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#12 Post by Ron Slye » March 18th, 2019, 3:44 pm

John Morris wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 12:09 pm
Ron Slye wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 10:32 am
Thanks for all of the useful replies. We have those smaller drawer dishwashers (two of them), so when I do use the dishwasher I only have wine glasses in.

John -- I in fact did just use it for the old Riedel Burgundy Sommelier glasses -- they came out perfectly. But they are so large that I can only put a few more glasses in with them for fear of them hitting each other. And yes, I have also thought I might break them putting them in or taking them out -- so far I have been careful enough!
Mine go back to the 90s (remarkably, I've never broken one), when I think they had more/some lead in them, so I'm afraid they might get etched by the dishwasher soap, which does that to high-lead glass. If yours are newer, that's probably not an issue.
Uh oh. Mine are from the 90s. Maybe even 80s. I will be more conservative with them then. Thanks for the tip.

JosephK
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17
Joined: March 18th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#13 Post by JosephK » March 18th, 2019, 4:01 pm

We have hard water where I'm at, and sometimes when I pull a glass out of the dishwasher, I will immediately smell it (just as if it was holding wine). I'm not sure why, but every now and then they come out with a horrible smell, sort of snail smell (I'm sure that doesn't make sense to anybody) - hard to define what it is. I will often throw some vinegar in the bottom of the machine because it helps with water spots, and I have never had a residual vinegar smell.
JosephK@c$m@rek

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1169
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#14 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » March 18th, 2019, 4:05 pm

I've been washing my Schott Zwiesel Tritans (titanium crystal) for years in a dishwasher with some Cascade liquid soap. Only a couple broken, but due to my handling not the dishwasher.

As for a few spots, who cares?
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4345
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#15 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 18th, 2019, 5:08 pm

We used to have an Asko that wouldn’t accommodate stems. Just bought a top of the line Bosch with water softener. Seems to do a good job but mostly I’ve washed Riedel and Gabriel machine made. I did try some GGG. I haven’t tried Zalto Bordeaux, need to get my courage up. Less water spots after adding salt to the softener.

User avatar
GregT
Posts: 7577
Joined: April 15th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#16 Post by GregT » March 18th, 2019, 6:04 pm

JosephK wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 4:01 pm
every now and then they come out with a horrible smell, sort of snail smell
Awesome! I've never read that description before. Hope to see it in a tasting note soon. [cheers.gif]
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

User avatar
Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9575
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:23 pm
Location: Napa, CA

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#17 Post by Randy Bowman » March 18th, 2019, 7:31 pm

I have a Jet Tech commercial dishwasher at the shop and nearly new Kitchen Aid at home. We use Riedel Restaurant Series glasses, plus a couple Vinums at home. All go through the dish washers without any problems AND no spots. The Jet Tech uses commercial grade, hi temp, detergent and commercial grade rinse aid. Carrie uses Cascade pods at home.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4345
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#18 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 18th, 2019, 7:36 pm

GregT wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 6:04 pm
JosephK wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 4:01 pm
every now and then they come out with a horrible smell, sort of snail smell
Awesome! I've never read that description before. Hope to see it in a tasting note soon. [cheers.gif]
As long as it’s your tasting note, I’m ok with it too.

User avatar
J. Singleton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4124
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:36 pm
Location: Dallas/Napa

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#19 Post by J. Singleton » March 18th, 2019, 9:58 pm

This one is easy for me:

Zalto: 9 year old glasses, four types, dishwasher every time.
Reidel Cab XL: dishwasher
Gabriel Glas Gold: dishwasher
Costco Kirkland “Reidel”: dishwasher

Zero breaks. Ever. Sometimes they need a rinse before use. Can’t imagine ever washing by hand. Seems time consuming and an accident waiting to happen.
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6946
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#20 Post by Mark Y » March 18th, 2019, 10:59 pm

I wash cheaper stems with dishwSher. No issue

I wash zaltos by hand with dish soap. I just rinse really well with hot water. No issues. Like washing zaltos is an event on its own. :)
Y.e.

Alex Rychlewski
Posts: 1177
Joined: August 13th, 2009, 5:22 am
Location: Bordeaux

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#21 Post by Alex Rychlewski » March 19th, 2019, 12:02 am

I would never, ever put my wineglasses in a dishwasher. Risk of contamination, spotting, breakage, you name it.

Alex R.

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2923
Joined: January 30th, 2012, 9:22 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#22 Post by Mike Evans » March 19th, 2019, 6:27 am

I only use the dishwasher for my GGGs and Grassls on a normal cycle with a Cascade pod at the same time that I’m washing a normal load. I’ve found that the rinsing agent can result in a natural wine funk but either a quick rinse with water after I pull them from the dishwasher or a rinse with wine at the start of a tasting takes care of it. I’ve washed a couple of GGGs dozens of times with no loss of clarity or breakage.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4345
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#23 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 19th, 2019, 7:05 am

Mike Evans wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 6:27 am
I only use the dishwasher for my GGGs and Grassls on a normal cycle with a Cascade pod at the same time that I’m washing a normal load. I’ve found that the rinsing agent can result in a natural wine funk but either a quick rinse with water after I pull them from the dishwasher or a rinse with wine at the start of a tasting takes care of it. I’ve washed a couple of GGGs dozens of times with no loss of clarity or breakage.
The rinse agent is a negative when dishwashing. Not that I have any chemical proof of contamination. The hand washing is easy but takes a little time, so sometimes it’s therapeutic, sometimes just a time waster.

Dale Williams
Posts: 1176
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 10:19 am

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#24 Post by Dale Williams » March 19th, 2019, 7:23 am

I wash all in dishwasher (GGG, Zalto, Spiegelau) 95% of time. Never had breakage nor spotting (soft water here).
I'm more likely to get cabinet smell (on a stem that hasn't been used in months) than dishwasher smell, but a little "priming" takes care of that.
I've run into plenty of soapy glasses at restaurants, but they use high speed dishwashers that are very different from a home Bosch.
For those that think they must hand wash to eliminate smells, do you hand wash your soup bowls as well? I care about both wine and food.

User avatar
John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 916
Joined: February 26th, 2009, 8:40 am

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#25 Post by John Webber » March 19th, 2019, 7:39 am

We are on our 2nd Miele and have run GG Gold, Zaltos, Riedel, various decanters etc. through the normal wash, pots and pans, etc. daily and have never had a broken item. We have never bothered with the crystal setting. We also have some of the hardest water in the country, but the Miele salt works like a charm.

User avatar
John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2931
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 1:27 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#26 Post by John Davis » March 19th, 2019, 7:50 am

Dishwasher except for the Somm series and we don’t use those very often. Those that have been broken have been broken by me. Or my wife, which commonly is also my fault! 😃
ITB

User avatar
Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8431
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 3:22 pm
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#27 Post by Chris Seiber » March 19th, 2019, 8:04 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 12:24 pm
Jonathan likes to put our Riedels in the dishwasher, and he only breaks them, like John said, putting in or lifting out. They come out perfectly clean and without smell. Zaltos, GGGs or Lehmann handblown champagne stems are done by hand always. In practice, unless we are having a party with many glasses to wash, I usually wash everything by hand with mild soap and hot water. The few spots don't bother me.
I put the GGGs in there all the time and zero problem either.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2697
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#28 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 19th, 2019, 10:52 am

I have started using dishwasher for all glasses with no issues.

User avatar
dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 592
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 11:51 am
Location: Anchorage, AK and Rockport, TX

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#29 Post by dsimmons » March 19th, 2019, 11:57 am

One final note. It is clearly better to load the dishwasher the next morning if you wish to minimize breakage [cheers.gif]
D o n

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2418
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#30 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 19th, 2019, 11:58 am

Mostly we use 2 glasses on any given evening. I don't use the dishwasher for more than a pretty full load and I don't like dirty glasses sitting around. So I wash them before going to bed or in the AM while coffee is brewing. I'm less worried about the dishwasher itself breaking glasses than I am about my husband breaking them, so I don't let him touch the stemware I actually care about. Except to drink from them, of course. :)

User avatar
T@ntina A
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 154
Joined: March 10th, 2019, 1:36 pm
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#31 Post by T@ntina A » March 19th, 2019, 12:17 pm

I have some more durable glasses I put in the dishwasher - they're only used if I am having a tasting with 4+ people over. But I wouldn't even think about putting my Riedels or Zaltos in the dishwasher. I wash them by hand with unscented dish soap hang to dry on a rack then use a polishing cloth to dry them before they form any spots.

User avatar
Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2319
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 8:24 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#32 Post by Warren Taranow » March 19th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Four years ago, after decades of hand washing (and hand-breaking), I switched to machine washing in the dishwasher. GGGs and Zaltos, all sizes. Dishwashing has proven better, with only rare breakage due to careless loading/unloading. The dogma that dishwashing is ineffective or causes damage hasn’t proved true in my house.
Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

User avatar
T@ntina A
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 154
Joined: March 10th, 2019, 1:36 pm
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#33 Post by T@ntina A » March 19th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Warren Taranow wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 12:56 pm
Four years ago, after decades of hand washing (and hand-breaking), I switched to machine washing in the dishwasher. GGGs and Zaltos, all sizes. Dishwashing has proven better, with only rare breakage due to careless loading/unloading. The dogma that dishwashing is ineffective or causes damage hasn’t proved true in my house.
Cheers,
Warren

Hmm that's good to know - I am a bit scared to try. Do you do it top shelf / bottom shelf or both? Do you have special racks to hold them? How do you prevent them from clinking together?

I also have people in my household that yank the door open violently and I can just see that jolting the glasses and breaking them.

PhillipDube
Posts: 11
Joined: March 20th, 2016, 10:36 pm

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#34 Post by PhillipDube » March 19th, 2019, 1:09 pm

My GGG just don't sit well in my portable circa 1975 Hobart washer. I've had the best luck with Micro-90 lab glass cleaner and a beaker/flask brush (such as: https://www.coleparmer.com/p/beaker-bot ... shes/48639). The brush really gets the entire interior with ease.
ITB, MDWS

User avatar
Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2319
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 8:24 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#35 Post by Warren Taranow » March 19th, 2019, 1:22 pm

T@ntina A wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 12:58 pm
Warren Taranow wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 12:56 pm
Four years ago, after decades of hand washing (and hand-breaking), I switched to machine washing in the dishwasher. GGGs and Zaltos, all sizes. Dishwashing has proven better, with only rare breakage due to careless loading/unloading. The dogma that dishwashing is ineffective or causes damage hasn’t proved true in my house.
Cheers,
Warren

Hmm that's good to know - I am a bit scared to try. Do you do it top shelf / bottom shelf or both? Do you have special racks to hold them? How do you prevent them from clinking together?

I also have people in my household that yank the door open violently and I can just see that jolting the glasses and breaking them.
I put the GGG, Zalto Universal, and Zalto Bordeaux on the top shelf. My Zalto Burgundy stems won’t fit on the top shelf, so I always put them on the bottom shelf. I make sure the glasses are stable on the racking, and that that no other dishes can touch them. Doing so, my breakage has been zero for quite a while.

Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

User avatar
Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8431
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 3:22 pm
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#36 Post by Chris Seiber » March 19th, 2019, 1:32 pm

T@ntina A wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 12:58 pm
Warren Taranow wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 12:56 pm
Four years ago, after decades of hand washing (and hand-breaking), I switched to machine washing in the dishwasher. GGGs and Zaltos, all sizes. Dishwashing has proven better, with only rare breakage due to careless loading/unloading. The dogma that dishwashing is ineffective or causes damage hasn’t proved true in my house.
Cheers,
Warren

Hmm that's good to know - I am a bit scared to try. Do you do it top shelf / bottom shelf or both? Do you have special racks to hold them? How do you prevent them from clinking together?

I also have people in my household that yank the door open violently and I can just see that jolting the glasses and breaking them.
First, and most importantly, don't be afraid to do it. The risk of breakage while handwashing them is far higher than in the dishwasher. It would be like driving across the country because you think it's unsafe to fly.

Second, if you want to stabilize them for people being rough with the dishwashing racks, you can use these. We use them. I don't think they're really necessary to avoid breakage, but it just takes a moment and it makes it all seem more orderly in there.


Jason L Jones
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 134
Joined: January 27th, 2015, 9:48 am
Location: Austin

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#37 Post by Jason L Jones » March 19th, 2019, 2:18 pm

I use the china setting +steam on our GE monogram dishwasher with Zaltos of all shapes and sizes and they come out like new.

Right now I'm only brave enough to wash them without anything else in the dishwasher.

User avatar
J. Singleton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4124
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:36 pm
Location: Dallas/Napa

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#38 Post by J. Singleton » March 19th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Based on the fear in this thread, I’d probably give most of you a heart attack. All my glasses go in the bottom rack, along with plates. The upper rack is full of whatever fits. I use Cascade platinum complete pods. As someone mentioned earlier, my glasses tend to smell more like my cabinet than anything else. I just rinse the glass and go about poppin bottles.
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton

Hoang Pham
Posts: 50
Joined: November 7th, 2017, 11:08 am

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#39 Post by Hoang Pham » March 19th, 2019, 3:27 pm

GGG: Hand wash with little dish soap and sponge.
Schott Zwiesel Tritan: Dishwasher top rack w/ cascade
Riedel Vinum: Dishwasher top rack w/ cascade

Haven't had any noticeable soap smells or taste doing either way.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 565
Joined: May 4th, 2014, 2:11 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#40 Post by Ron Slye » March 19th, 2019, 4:45 pm

T@ntina A wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 12:58 pm
Warren Taranow wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 12:56 pm
Four years ago, after decades of hand washing (and hand-breaking), I switched to machine washing in the dishwasher. GGGs and Zaltos, all sizes. Dishwashing has proven better, with only rare breakage due to careless loading/unloading. The dogma that dishwashing is ineffective or causes damage hasn’t proved true in my house.
Cheers,
Warren

Hmm that's good to know - I am a bit scared to try. Do you do it top shelf / bottom shelf or both? Do you have special racks to hold them? How do you prevent them from clinking together?

I also have people in my household that yank the door open violently and I can just see that jolting the glasses and breaking them.
I really think it depends on the type of dishwasher you have. We have the Fisher/Paykel drawer washers -- they have a delicate setting, and can fit Riedel Sommelier stems in either. They also have racks that provide stability for the end of the glass when placed upside down. The problem is that, at least so far, I am reluctant to put too many in for fear that they may jostle around. We also use cascade pods. I have had no problem with odors (and others say, I get more odors from them sitting on the shelf). And they come out so much cleaner than when I hand wash.

User avatar
Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8431
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 3:22 pm
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#41 Post by Chris Seiber » March 19th, 2019, 5:36 pm

One thing you'll notice is absent in this thread -- any stories of wine glasses getting broken or damaged in the dishwasher, other than by human error.

I'll bet all of us have broken more than a few wine glasses while hand washing, though.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4345
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#42 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 19th, 2019, 5:41 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 7:23 am
I wash all in dishwasher (GGG, Zalto, Spiegelau) 95% of time. Never had breakage nor spotting (soft water here).
I'm more likely to get cabinet smell (on a stem that hasn't been used in months) than dishwasher smell, but a little "priming" takes care of that.
I've run into plenty of soapy glasses at restaurants, but they use high speed dishwashers that are very different from a home Bosch.
For those that think they must hand wash to eliminate smells, do you hand wash your soup bowls as well? I care about both wine and food.
You serve $100 tins of soup?

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4345
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#43 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 19th, 2019, 5:45 pm

I never store the glasses bowl down. I get if they have sat a while there may be an odor, probably from the dust. Any glass sitting around a month with visible dust needs to be cleaned anyway.

User avatar
Jim Clary
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 498
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 8:44 am
Location: Scottsdale

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#44 Post by Jim Clary » March 19th, 2019, 8:50 pm

I went out last year and replaced both of our dishwashers with the latest from Miele, and they are awesome. No spotting and never worry about breakage (which I do regularly while washing by hand). We wash Zalto’s and Riedel glasses with no issues. Really nice to come down in the am after a gathering at our house and not have 20 dirty glasses staring me in the face.
Jim Clary

User avatar
Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2319
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 8:24 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#45 Post by Warren Taranow » March 19th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 1:32 pm
T@ntina A wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 12:58 pm
Warren Taranow wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 12:56 pm
Four years ago, after decades of hand washing (and hand-breaking), I switched to machine washing in the dishwasher. GGGs and Zaltos, all sizes. Dishwashing has proven better, with only rare breakage due to careless loading/unloading. The dogma that dishwashing is ineffective or causes damage hasn’t proved true in my house.
Cheers,
Warren

Hmm that's good to know - I am a bit scared to try. Do you do it top shelf / bottom shelf or both? Do you have special racks to hold them? How do you prevent them from clinking together?

I also have people in my household that yank the door open violently and I can just see that jolting the glasses and breaking them.
First, and most importantly, don't be afraid to do it. The risk of breakage while handwashing them is far higher than in the dishwasher. It would be like driving across the country because you think it's unsafe to fly.

Second, if you want to stabilize them for people being rough with the dishwashing racks, you can use these. We use them. I don't think they're really necessary to avoid breakage, but it just takes a moment and it makes it all seem more orderly in there.

Thanks for the link!
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Dale Williams
Posts: 1176
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 10:19 am

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#46 Post by Dale Williams » March 20th, 2019, 11:59 am

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 5:41 pm
Dale Williams wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 7:23 am
I wash all in dishwasher (GGG, Zalto, Spiegelau) 95% of time. Never had breakage nor spotting (soft water here).
I'm more likely to get cabinet smell (on a stem that hasn't been used in months) than dishwasher smell, but a little "priming" takes care of that.
I've run into plenty of soapy glasses at restaurants, but they use high speed dishwashers that are very different from a home Bosch.
For those that think they must hand wash to eliminate smells, do you hand wash your soup bowls as well? I care about both wine and food.
You serve $100 tins of soup?
As I said, I care about both food and wine. I don't generally open canned soup; but enjoy (and value) the soup my wife makes. But if soap or other contaminants remain in your stems, they're on your dishes as well.

User avatar
Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10818
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:09 pm
Location: OC, CA

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#47 Post by Cris Whetstone » March 20th, 2019, 12:42 pm

I think breakage is not going to be any greater with a dishwasher unless you pack it carelessly. Breakage certainly happens with hand washing. Stemware is delicate by nature.

I've run into issues with an odd smell from some stems washed in washers. It's an odd mineral like, old detergent smell that can linger in the stems. After a couple run ins with the smell and being suspicious I would ask if the owner had washed theirs in the dishwasher and they had ever time. It smells a lot like a used dish scrubber sponge. I don't know if it's certain detergents or what. It's been a while since I've smelled it but I had enough run ins that I've always hand washed my stems.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

User avatar
Chris Tuttle
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 537
Joined: June 8th, 2009, 2:02 pm
Location: Charlottesville, Va

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#48 Post by Chris Tuttle » March 20th, 2019, 1:24 pm

I put our Gabriel Glas stems in the dishwasher and they come out perfect. No smell. I think we use Finish tabs of some sort. Also, I put a very small bowel filled with distilled white vinegar in the glass rack every time. Our water is slightly hard. Works wonders.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4345
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#49 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 21st, 2019, 3:57 am

Cris Whetstone wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 12:42 pm
I think breakage is not going to be any greater with a dishwasher unless you pack it carelessly. Breakage certainly happens with hand washing. Stemware is delicate by nature.

I've run into issues with an odd smell from some stems washed in washers. It's an odd mineral like, old detergent smell that can linger in the stems. After a couple run ins with the smell and being suspicious I would ask if the owner had washed theirs in the dishwasher and they had ever time. It smells a lot like a used dish scrubber sponge. I don't know if it's certain detergents or what. It's been a while since I've smelled it but I had enough run ins that I've always hand washed my stems.
Probably a screen or filter needs cleaning.

User avatar
T@ntina A
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 154
Joined: March 10th, 2019, 1:36 pm
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

#50 Post by T@ntina A » March 21st, 2019, 6:38 am

Warren Taranow wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 9:34 pm

First, and most importantly, don't be afraid to do it. The risk of breakage while handwashing them is far higher than in the dishwasher. It would be like driving across the country because you think it's unsafe to fly.

Second, if you want to stabilize them for people being rough with the dishwashing racks, you can use these. We use them. I don't think they're really necessary to avoid breakage, but it just takes a moment and it makes it all seem more orderly in there.



Thanks for the encouragement and support I got over my fear and washed a couple of glasses and one decanter in the dishwasher! Although I ran it with no other dishes.
No breakage!
champagne.gif

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”