TNs: 2016 Aubert ES, 2012 Marcassin, 2015 Maybach Amoenus

Two of my friends (one of whom has a nice if california-centric cellar) and I got together to make a meal for our wives - all with March birthdays and a good reason to celebrate. We sent them to the spa for a massage and got to work around 4pm preparing a dinner with asian flavors. We opened a 2016 Bevan Dry Stack Sauvignon Blanc (which I have posted to the “cheese in wine” thread).

We started the night with a cocktail made from bourbon, sake, lemon, honey, and ginger - the spice of which paired nicely with edamame seasoned with togarashi

The Aubert was paired with a lump crab, butternut squash, and bacon gyoza, a combination we tasted at Yuki Yama in Park City, UT
The Marcassin went with peking duck spring rolls and thai salad with yuzu dressing
The Maybach stood up to a marinated waygu tenderloin and lamb over a bed of garlic sticky rice

We put up the white flag and had coffee with a salted caramel, chocolate, and peanut dessert. The only part of the meal that wasn’t homemade was the truffle… A fun night, on to the TNs (reposted from CT)
IMG_0754.JPG
2016 Aubert Eastside Vineyard Chardonnay:
"A word that never escapes my thoughts when I taste Aubert Chards (regardless of the bottling) is purity.

The 2016 Eastside is no exception, with straw color, and warm inviting aromas of lemon curd, brown sugar, and baking vanilla. This wine is such a pleasure to drink, with nutty butterscotch and baked pear along the smooth, gliding mid palate. There’s a soft spice up front from the cooperage which is otherwise mostly in check. I would say don’t touch this one for another year or two.

I understand that the winemaking is essentially ideantical for each bottling so as to let the site speak. The 2016 Eastside for me is less acid driven than the LH&S, more delineated than the sugar shack, and just a small step behind the Lauren and UVSL in terms of complexity. Delicious wine"

2012 Marcassin - Marcassin Vineyard Pinot Noir:
"I was surprised by the energy and ‘other’-ness of the 2012 Marcassin vineyard PN. Having tasted a handful of California’s upper tier pinots, I kept my expectations in check. Equally informed by some high alcohol Turley zins, I was also anticipating an over the top style, which this was emphatically not.

PnP, the wine showed a wild streak tonight. Wild strawberries with stems, fresh cut raspberries, and yes, even some sous bois. Vanilla bean and strawberry cream glide across a seamless palate. Acidity is balanced but not bracing. There is no overextraction, residual sugar, or alcoholic heat. It’s a remarkably tasty domestic Pinot, without a flaw in my opinion. As this is the most recent release, I assume the wines are held in order to be ready to drink on release. This could be better in the future, but it’s perfectly approachable now."

2015 Maybach Amoenus:
Well I must say, I’m very sad to see this bottle go.
Decanted about 4 hours prior to service and that was just fine. I took a quick peek on PnP which was plenty to know this wine is special.

Lavender aromatics and scorched earth. It’s clear from the medium purple translucency that the wine will not be as weighty or extracted as I have come to expect from TRBs style. Away it goes for a little while.

This wine is among the classiest Cabernets I have ever had in California. And to be truthful, the savory notes on the bouquet supported by fresh cut black fruits were all so integrated, plus a little atypical for a 100% cab (no bell pepper or cassis), that I thought surely it must have some cab franc and PV. So I’m at a loss for descriptors, but let me assure, this is one heck of a delicious wine. It is not at all over the top - if anything, reminded me of a young Dominus with better integration. I think it has the substance to mature for the next 15 years.

Paired with seared waygu tenderloin and ginger sesame lamb and crispy garlic sticky rice.
S25L7vKJSU+wLWRyu74r+g.jpg

John, your note on Maybach was copied over from Marcassin.

Food looks very good.

ah, thank you… Edited

That sounds like an epic meal of food and drink. And I can second your thoughts on that Amoenus- it’s a special wine for sure with several decades of life ahead of it

thanks for sharing - sounds like a great night

Makes me happy that I have 4 of those Maybach headed my way. Great notes, sounds like a great evening.

Sounds like an awesome night all the way around–well done!

Thanks all for the encouragement, it was a lot of fun. My dinner club (this group plus 2 other couples) is doing an Indian themed meal in April. Should be challenging and interesting. Wines will likely take a back seat to food for that one